Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by OldJarhead on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

same same on caliber. I feed mine both regularly
14 years 3 months ago #2877

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by mrhog on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions

Well being new to the AR-10 I do have a question. I know that the AR-15 mags are matches to the M-16. And I think that the different brands of lowers all use this as a standard. Do the AR-10 companys use the same mag? Will a DPMS interchange with Armalite? Are they useing the M-14 mags?
14 years 3 months ago #2880

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions

You have an option of 4 different mags depending on which MFG you go with.MSH
14 years 3 months ago #2882

I have a Armalite Super SASS. Are Armalite mags the only ones I can use? C proudut lists a 308 mag but I'm not sure if it will work. If I have to I can go to Armalite to buy the mags. but I'm just trying to save a little money.
14 years 3 months ago #2883

Replied by Qbeam on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

mrhog,

Yes only Armalite/Modified M14/M1A magazines will work. The C Products magazines are for the DPMS/SR-25/and other .308s.

Armalite is still running its sale:

www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Categor...db-8379-7f8c4fb04bce

Get them while the getting is good.

Q
14 years 3 months ago #2884

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions

I know we've covered that in some depth in one of these articles, but briefly: Armalite has it's own mag format originally based around the M14 mag design. This was done so that when the first Modern AR-10s were released in the mid 90s it would be possible to have hi-cap magazines (under the AWB, Armalite wouldn't have been able to produce magazines over 10 rounds).

Armalite came up with a workable solution to fitting a rocking magazine into the AR magwell, and have since completely updated the mags for the post AWB era (no longer compatable with M14 however, no need).

There were other manufacturers of AR-10s trying to use other surplus mag formats, but the other major horse around was Knights, and they had their own design. DPMS and now related company Remington both adopted the same format as the Knights magazine.

I once debated as to whether I should go for a more the DPMS format for interchangeability, but decided my odds of ever finding ANY AR-10 mags in the wild during an emergency were small and I'd be better off with an AR-15 platform in that circumstance. So I decided just get the rifle I like best, and set aside a good supply of mags and be happy with it. I bought two 5 packs of armalite 20 round mags on sale and have been satisfied.
14 years 3 months ago #2885

Thanks Guys

Thats just what I needed to know. I will check out the sale and pick up some more mags.
14 years 3 months ago #2889

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!