Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

m110 in 300 WM

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re: m110 in 300 WM

I started this thread when I was on a quest to find a 1moa or better semiauto in 300winmag that would tame the recoil of the round without need of a muzzle brake. My reasoning being that a 10 lb semiauto wouldn't kick the bejesus out of me like my model 70 bolt does. Now that I am trying to be nicer to my ears, I have started wearing ear protection even when hunting (amplifies nl sounds, muffles loud bangs)so a muzzle brake would be ok now. In that regard does anyone have experience with the AR30 in 300 win mag? I would really like to know if it is able to better the 1 moa guarantee. A Browning 300 win mag ,I am told, can do 1 moa, so maybe for a hunter, that is a reasonable choice for the 300 wm.I just don't want to spend the money on one and find out it ain't so. I can find stuff all day on other forums on this,and how accurate their Brownings and AR30's are, but the folks on this site are a notch above what I have seen elsewhere and I trust your opinions more.
12 years 10 months ago #7759

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Neanderthal75 on topic Re: m110 in 300 WM

I can't attest to the MOA accuracy issue, but on the muzzlebrake issue, though it's kinda apples and oranges right now pertaining to caliber, check out the BattleComp muzzlebrakes for something that may be worth your time and effort 'down the the road a ways'..........battlecomp.com/

Right now for 5.56 and .308, and for AK models.......ask them and maybe, just maybe, they will go down the large magnum road for us all!
12 years 10 months ago #7766

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: m110 in 300 WM

If any one out there will draw it up I'll make it have 35+ year experiance and the CNC machine to do it, Just finishing up on a new muzzle brake and it looks promising will know more in the next month or two, every thing just moves in slow motion when trying to get a new product in the market and everyone wants there share of the $ :pinch:
AKAI
12 years 10 months ago #7784

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: m110 in 300 WM

I'm confuzzled here. Are you asking about semi-autos in 300 WM? Or the AR-30, which is a bolt gun.
RLTW
12 years 10 months ago #7824

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re: m110 in 300 WM

I originally started this thread to try to find out why we couldn't have an AR10 in 300win mag. Browning has it with their semiauto, M1Garand had the 30-06 in WWII.Just trying to understand the issues. Is the reason no one does it economic(not enough demand?) or technical issues (weight, pressures, etc}
12 years 10 months ago #7825

Alles klar, vielen dank. I would imagine that the reason no one has tried a 300 WM AR is because of all the R&D that would go into it. The COL of 300 WM is 3.3" or so, depending on the bullet weight and type. In order to put it in AR form, you'd have to develop a new mag or heavily modify a current one. This means you'd have to modify the deminsions of the mag well. At this point, you have to start adjusting all the internals to accept the cartridge. It would be a pretty big undertaking for what would be a "niche" gun.
RLTW
12 years 10 months ago #7828

Replied by 11b503 on topic Re: m110 in 300 WM

i agree with Lebben, the
browning Bar is a heavy gun, with a heavy steel one piece receiver. all the ar-10 varients I have seen are on beltless cartridges. the Rem saum and win.short mag. are off the rigby magnum family or other belt less magnums which seat on their shoulder, seating on the belt like the Win. 300 mag would require a different barrel receiver R&D. I believe the chamber pressure of the belted magnums may be a problem also. Maybe I have missed some custom ar-10 on belted magnums, anyone run acrossed any?
12 years 10 months ago #7832

Replied by Neanderthal75 on topic Re: m110 in 300 WM

Hallo Lebben!

Ja, Sie haben recht: gibt's eine Langgewährfabrik in Montana, sie heißen "Only Long Range" und sie machen eine ungewähre "AR 10" aber sie ist 25% noch großer als eine normale AR 10.

Hier gibt's die url: bit.ly/kLVHHI

For those that don't speak/read/write German, there's a father-son team up in Belgrade, MT, Peter Noreen and his son Phil Noreen, who make a 'sort of' AR 10, currently in .338 Lapua with what we've been talking about here coming soon>>>>>>>>.300 Win Mag!!!

The 'sort of' in the sentence above relates to the fact that the Noreen Rifles are appx. 25% larger than a stock AR 10.....what most of you have been considering MUST be true: that the pressures and sizes of large magnums require greater strength and capacitance than stock AR 10's will handle.

The URL above will take you to the page for Only Long Range rifles and the .338 Lapua they offer-and at what I would say is a bargain basement price....$5k.

There is a completely NON-AR rifle maker of semi-autos, RND Rifles down in Colorado, who also make large magnum semis in .300 RUM (sweet caliber for elk), the ubiquitous .338 Lapua, the awesome .408 Cheytac, and of course, the Browning .50.............prices there run a heft $6800-$11k........but if you don't have to have something that looks like an AR 10 and will get the job done.......look them up at:

bit.ly/mHW2QA

Because I'm NOT an engineer, I just figured a Master CNC Machinist (and Armorer of course) could take a standard AR 10 Receiver and Lower, take the existing math for all the pressures, tolerance requirements, etc., plug that data into a computer, let the puter do its thing, and viola, out come the strength specs needed for an Receiver and Lower to handle all the extra stresses.....and then plug that data into the already diagrammed AR 10 parts into a high end CNC machine and let the hummer mill out the new parts....larger parts I was sure....but how much larger I had nary a clue.......

I would now argue, having seen the Only Long Range rifle and having emailed Peter Noreen about his offerings and gotten his reply of his rifle being 25% larger (and hence, NOT interchangeable with stock AR 10's), that the question of "How much bigger?", has been answered!

I have a SASS LR 308 waiting for me, but now I'm wondering if I want to wait on that and keep saving up my pennies and nickels and buy one of the Noreen rifles next year some time!

By then perhaps, the .300 Win Mag model would be out and available!!!!!

Had I the $7k and didn't mind not having that AR 10 look (which I must admit I find rather appealing), I'd just plunk down the dough and buy one of RND rifles in .300 RUM.......but then again, that kind of thinking might lead be back to the Noreen's and the .338 Lapua in the AR 10 configuration........ah, choices, choices, choices.......and FAR too little green to accompany them all!

Cheers!
12 years 10 months ago #7835

Okay, Neanderthal, I'll bite. How didja get the umlaut and ess-tsett in an english character set?

On topic - Another worry with belted over-bore magnums of any stripe is the amount of throat erosion and barrel degradation. In sporting barrels average life is somewhere around 1500-2000 rnds. A barrel designed for hard use might get twice that, given treatments like nitro-carburation/melonite and cold hammer forging.
RLTW
12 years 10 months ago #7836

Replied by Neanderthal75 on topic Of Umlauts and 'ss' tsetts

Hallo noch mal Lebben!

No big and easy as pie!!!

Whichever version (IF you're using a PC as opposed to a Mac) of Windows you're using, whip on in to Control Panel and look for the sub-rubrik of 'languages' and there'll be a drop down list detailing a bevy of languages which you can automatically add to your task bar in addition to English!

Just select 'German' and then hit add (if you're using Vista as is my case, 7 and XP might have something slightly different) and then hit 'apply' at the bottom of the language dialog box.

After you've done that, go to your Taskbar (I have mine set on 'hide' until I scroll over it, put your arrow (or what ever icon you use for your mouse icon pointer) on the "EN" (English) and left click your rodent.....you should see two choices pop up......English which would be the current selection and "DE" (German/Deutsch) as another choice.

Move the rodent icon pointer to DE, click on it, and then viola'......you now have a German keyboard....the z and y are transposed, the quote " symbols become ä Ä, the colon : becomes ö Ö,
the left bracket bars [{ become ü Ü, and the - key (immediately right of the zero key up top) becomes ß ss tsett...........

Jetzt haben gut im Hand, neh?

Tschüß!!

PS...You really think that in real world terms a .338 Lapua in the AR style made by Only Long Range rifles (Noreen rifles) would last 1200-1500 rounds before a new barrel would be needed?

That would get kinda pricey and if things deteriorate politically, economically, and culturally, as I expect them to, getting replacement barrels would be impossible.

vielen dank!
12 years 10 months ago #7839

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!