Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Hello ! Advice sought

• Thank you received: 1

Hello ! Advice sought was created by Archer1

Gentlemen-
I decided to build my AR10 at the wrong time. I have a great Armalite AR10 lover and was fortunate enough to get my hands on an Armalite LPK but my question now is....if you could build an AR10 from the ground up how would you build it....part two....and why. I have several AR15 platform rifles but I like distance and power, both of which can be provided by the AR10. Favorite stock? Buffer tube? Barrel? If you could do anything....

I was considering the PRS stock. Not sure of best LR barrel. Optics I have sorted out. With the parts grab going on it has been impossible to get even the simplest of things. Forget LPK for AR15's, well, at a human price. I'm new to the forum and apologize in advance if this is a hack question or has already been talked over to death.
11 years 3 months ago #16183

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Hello ! Advice sought

I'm sorry to see no one has hit your questions up with any answers yet Archer but I moved it from New Member Introductions over to the AR10 room so maybe one of our gurus will spot it.

Hopefully prices will begin easing soon and the parts you seek with start getting back to a more reasonable level again for your build.

Whatever you end up with, I do hope we'll get some views of it either in progress or the finished product... :thumbs:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archer1
11 years 2 months ago #17685

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Hello ! Advice sought

I've got the long range thing covered so if it were up to me, I'd like to go for a light weight build. I've seen a few done up with every ounce possible shaved off and they are just too dang fun.

If you are wanting to go for a long range build, selecting a good barrel should come first. lija & krieger are a known good choice. A good trigger like giessele is what I recommend. I don't care for the PRS stock myself but some people like it, if possible try before you buy or get a used one on the cheap.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharkey, Archer1
11 years 2 months ago #17711

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Hello ! Advice sought

What you have to ask your self is...

What do you want the rifle to do?

Are you looking to go 1000 yards for compitition?
Are you looking to use it for hunting?
Do you just want an everyday shooter?
Will you use it in your line of work?

Once you figure these out, then you will be able to determin if you want to go with a carbine barrel or a rifle length barrel. Then you have the option of fixed carry handle and front sight or removable sights.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
11 years 2 months ago #17738

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Hello ! Advice sought

As stated use the "backwards planning technique" Decide up on the GOAL for your AR 10, what is the end game, then plan backwards from there. mrraley had some good advice, think on it and go for it...
11 years 2 months ago #17783

Replied by Archer1 on topic Hello ! Advice sought

Thanks for reposting it. Yes, difficult time to begin a build. I was fortunate to get an Armalite lower, lower parts kit and PRS stock so far but everything is really overpriced and hard to come by. I'm still stuck on a buffer tube and upper. Now to figure out what barrel length....
11 years 2 months ago #17802

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Hello ! Advice sought

If you find the PRS to be too heavy, you can sell it and buy another stock. I've got the ACS and ACS Light (both from Magpul) and they work great.

As for barrels/barrel length if you're looking for an LR set up, I'd limit myself to a max length of 20". The small gains in MV are more than offset by the weight of the barrel, IMO. The traditional material for a long range rig is stainless steel. Lothar Walther, Shilen, Mike Rock and Noveske (among several others) all make fabulous SS barrels. But machining processes - such as cold hammer forging - have improved to the point that CMV steel barrels are approaching SS barrels for uniformity and accuracy. The reason SS was the preferred material for a precision long range barrel is it's a softer steel than CMV and was easier for the barrel maker to make the rifling more precise and uniform. Add to this the gaining popularity of nitride carburization (Tennifer and Melonite) on exterior and interior surfaces which provides the toughness and longevity of a chrome lining without the loss of accuracy from the same and you get a barrel that's both accurate AND long lasting.
RLTW
11 years 2 months ago #17804

This is an article you may wish to read. Daniel Lilja makes in his own shop some of the finest barrels available:

"The Ideal Barrel For A .308 Caliber Tactical Rifle

By Daniel Lilja

(Editor: Recently a TS subscriber wrote to us, looking for some guidance on the barrel contour selection for a .308 chambered tactical rifle. We felt that the inquiry was a bit too broad-based in topic matter and while a scholarly discourse in depth might have been nice... to do the job properly would have taken perhaps a dozen pages... and been a rather dry reading dozen pages at that. Since we live in a "Be practical" type of world, we fired off a "Help!" missive to Dan Lilja, the honcho at Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels (P.O.Box 372, Plains, MT, phone (406) 826-3084), together with a cover letter that mused... "I'm looking for a good, technically-oriented response... but not a rewrite of Gone With The Wind ". The goodfellow, Heaven bless him, must have understood what I was trying to say... because his response was along just the very lines that I was looking for. The editor considers Dan Lilja one of the most knowledgeable of today's authorities on long range rifle shooting.)"

Read more: www.riflebarrels.com/articles/longrange_...8_tactical_rifle.htm
11 years 2 months ago #17816

The Details of Accuracy

By John Haviland

"The origins of accuracy or inaccuracy in a rifle barrel may be difficult to distinguish in an off-the-shelf hunting rifle that is capable of shooting mere one inch groups. Only in a properly constructed benchrest rifle will the details appear that make a barrel accurate become apparent. A couple ten thousandths of an inch variation in a barrel's dimension doesn't matter much in a hunting rifle, but the variation will show up in a rifle capable of shooting five shots into .125-inches or less at 100 yards.

Dan Lilja knows those details. Lilja is a barrel maker from Plains, Montana, a benchrest shooter and past director and president of the National Benchrest Shooters Association. His barrels have won every major benchrest tournament across the country. Hunters, varmint shooters, the US Armed Forces and every major bullet manufacturing company have bought his barrels for their well-known accuracy.

Knowing how and what to look for, from selecting the barrel steel to the final fitting to an action, are all necessary to make an accurate barrel."

Read the rest of the article: www.riflebarrels.com/articles/barrel_mak...ails_of_accuracy.htm
11 years 2 months ago #17817

Replied by Archer1 on topic Building progresses

Thank you all for your advice! Please keep it coming. I have built AR15 platform rifles but this is my first AR10 and I really want to do this "right". The rifle is taking shape little by little and as each part is added it begins to gain a soul.

I have many short range, smaller caliber rifles but 308 to me has always been an excellent choice for longer range without having to break out the 50cal. That's what I want this AR10 to be. Something for long range match shooting / hunting. Flat top with decent optics.

I am very thankful that an AR forum such as this exists and for your patience with my rudimentary questions. Please keep the advice coming and bear with me as I learn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
11 years 2 months ago #17853

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!