Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Hello ! Advice sought

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Building progresses

Have you put any thought into triggers?
RLTW
11 years 2 months ago #17860

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Building progresses

I have found over the years there are no experts on any subject. There may be a guy or gal that know more than you, but the body of knowledge is so vast that no one person can have all the answers. Thus you can learn from anyone and I have found I learn the most from those that know the least and are willing to ask WHY and why NOT? Always challenge the conventional thinking...
11 years 2 months ago #17865

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Coner on topic Hello ! Advice sought

Did you make a decision on the barrel?

I'm currently trying to compare the 'real life' benefits of the SST barrels vs. the standard chrome lined steel.
10 years 11 months ago #24329

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Hello ! Advice sought

That has been one of my questions for some time and at the NRA show I had the chance to ask several folks and since returning I have done research on this.

Their answers and my research provided the same results.

SS vs ChromeMoly. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. That said the SS has benefits such as non rusting, can be subject to more outdoor use and less maintenance, can store is longer etc. I had heard that before and it quiet correct.

When I was at stationed at Ft Benning one of my buddies had a Corvette like mine, we both stored our pistols in a compartment behind the seat. Mine was a S&W in SS, his was the same gun in Blue. We both left Ft Ben at the same time and he only lived a couple of houses down from me. We were out on the driveway getting ready to for our move, cleaning out the car, getting ready for the trip. Yep, Ft Ben is hot and humid and his gun was well rusted while mine was no worse for the wear...
10 years 11 months ago #24341

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic Hello ! Advice sought

Whatever barrel maker you go with, I'd suggest a 1 in 10 twist rate. It will stabilize the heaviest bullets you can load to any useable velocity in a .308 rifle - as well as all of the light weight ones.

Unless you're planning on putting a globe type front sight out at the end of the barrel, you probably don't need to go any longer than 20 inches.

Oh, and modern techniques used for chrome lining by quality manufacturers actually don't make a difference in accuracy potential. At least that's what Criterion says anyway.

Go for the heaviest contour that you can carry to the bench comfortably. If you're going to use it in the field, go with the heaviest that you can carry for a day without affecting your ability to take an accurate shot. Fatigue can really mess you up.

Muzzle threading on a long-range rifle probably only makes sense to me if you want a muzzle brake, or to be able to mount a suppressor. Who doesn't want to be able to mount a suppressor? If you want both, I'd recommend looking at either AAC or Surefire.

You'll probably want a free float hand guard of some kind. Rails or no, it's really a personal thing.

Hope that helps.
10 years 11 months ago #24354

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!