Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

• Thank you received: 3

Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know. was created by Maddog

I am a new member and looking forward to hearing from some of you more seasoned AR-10 gurus. I have an Armalite AR-10TBNF on order and can't wait to get it! So, a couple of items I'd like to throw out for some input:

1)I ordered my gun in mid January. Anyone know what delivery times are running right now?

2)One Tech Note gives a break-in procedure for the barrel. Then another Tech Note says that their President takes his units straight out of the box and uses them with no break-in. Is it worth it to go through the hassle of barrel break in??

3)I'm going to handload hunting bullets. Anybody got any input here....experience with what works well? I'm aware this is a pretty open ended question.

4)What else can you impart on me that would be good to know?

Many Thanks,

Maddog
11 years 1 month ago #20940

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

I am going X2 on that. I know ArmaLite like any company has to say "such" and "so", lawyers, etc force that issue. I also know times have changed, steels for the bbl are not your daddy gun bbl and in fact a LONG way from it. Also powders are much improved and so is the cleaning materials we use today vs the ones I grew upon. I would fully agree, 100%, clean, clean again and clean it again, till the whites of whit gloves is as clean when you finish as when you put it on.

But times have changed and we have learned a lot and if you ever come across a cleaning kit for an AK, let me know, they are about as common as chicken lips. I also look back to my early days of the Army when we cleaned weapons to the point we generated more wear from cleaning than from shooting, and the times we sloshed oils all over a M 16 and used the nozzle on the squeeze bottle of CLP to force juice down the funny tube on top the bbl 'cause we were told to. I also remember well the carbon that seemed to build up if you even fired just enough rds to check zero.

I personally am not convinced the cleaning procedure as stated is mandatory for the life or the accuracy...

Just wondering about others thoughts and the reasoning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maddog
11 years 1 month ago #20943

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

I'm not up on what model number has what barrel but my understanding is the T's with a stainless barrel should follow the break-in procedure. Chrome lined barrels are the ones you just shoot. It might seem like a pain and plenty will say it doesn't matter but then you only get one chance to do it so why not. Mine has a chrome lined barrel and I tried to follow it pretty close anyway, it drove tacks from day one so I can't say I got any improvement but is certainly hasn't hurt anything. Short of wiping down the BCG and inside the upper I haven't seen much else to clean.
Check through the reloading section for some good info and don't be afraid to ask questions, there are many here that can be much more precise than me! I've got a few posts that can show you where I went wrong, like crimping :banghead:
Welcome aboard, you're gonna love that rifle! :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 month ago #20944

Replied by Maddog on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

Straight from the Armalite site:

Barrel: 20" AISI 416R Triple Lapped, Stainless Steel, Match

I would think that the triple lapping would also help with the break-in.....if needed
11 years 1 month ago #20945

Replied by Maddog on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

I take it that crimping your reloads is NOT a good idea
11 years 1 month ago #20946

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by bipe215 on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

Maddog,

Got a 10TBNF in January. The break in will take you a couple of hours, it's not so bad. Still, it's common for it to take a couple of hundred rounds before your groups will settle down. I got about 130 through mine before the brass shortage caught up to me. I don't hunt, just shoot for groups, so I can't advise you on a great hunting bullet. I like Sierra match Kings and IMR 4895 for what I do. It will also help you to use a comparator instead of an OAL gauge. My friend and forum member Keefer got his 'T' at the same time I did and his chamber is a bit deeper than mine.
I would think if you ordered in January your gun will ship soon. Good luck!

Steve
11 years 1 month ago #20947

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

I got to agree with you.

TECHNICAL NOTE 5: ERRATA SHEET FOR ARMALITE®
AR-10 RIFLES:

"BREAK-IN PERIOD: ArmaLite® rifles are made more tightly than other rifles of similar
design. A break-in period of 200 rounds allows machined or phosphate-coated surfaces smooth
out the rifles action. Lubricate well before firing. For several years we have recommended a
break-in procedure recommended by some experienced competitive shooters. All the while, the
President of the company, himself an experienced competitor, has simply cleaned his new barrels
and started using them. At least one proven barrel maker has reinforced the President’s opinion
that break-in, and especially break-in using abrasive paste, is not needed. Break in should
therefore be limited to frequent cleaning with solvent dampened patches, followed by dry
patches.
We recommend brass brushes for all cleaning, and recommend specifically against
either stainless steel or nylon brushes."
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by OleCowboy.
11 years 1 month ago #20949

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

Some say required some not, I tried but didn't have good luck with the style die I have, crushed my shoulders real easy with a minor adjustment. There is a good thread here where it gets explained to me.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 month ago #20950

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

I think it is important to keep your BCG clean and well lubed. As for the barrel, I followed the 'break-in procedure' and it consistently shot 3/4 MOA or better.

Part of this is I only have shot factory ammo and dialed in that my rifle loves Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 168gr bullets. It'll shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA all day at 200 yards with the above ammo. Switch to Black Hills BTHP ammo and it's 3/4 to 1MOA.

I've always thought that my barrel just likes moly bullets. I love that it makes for easy cleaning and never need to use solvent. I just push a brush followed by an oiled patch on a jag followed by 2 or 5 dry patches until they come out with no carbon on them.
11 years 1 month ago #20954

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

First, congrats on ordering your rifle. I fall into the "Barrel break in is unnecessary" camp. I've done barrel break in procedures before and have seen no discernible difference in accuracy between an "un-broken in" rifle and one that I had simply cleaned, lubed and shot.

Reloading.

Check out the reloading sub-forum. There's a lot of good data there. As for crimping, I always crimp the round for a gas gun because of the possibility of bullet set back during feeding.
RLTW
11 years 1 month ago #20957

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!