Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

I agree with leb, I skipped the break in on my sass and it's a shooter. As was mentioned before, what could a break in ritual do that triple lapping didn't already accomplish.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 1 month ago #20964

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

I have an AR10TCBNF. It has the 16" stainless match barrel. I followed the Armalite tech note 28 Breaking in Match Barrels. This is the first weapon I have owned that I broke in the barrel. I haven't put enough ammo through it to say whether or not it made a difference. It took me a couple hours to break it in. Once the price of ammo gets back where it should be I'll let you know how it shoots.

I also have an AR10A4BF and I didn't do anything to break in that barrel. It's a 20" chrome line double lapped barrel and I know that gun is a great shooter. Depending on the ammo it's 3/4 to 1 MOA. Truth be told it is a better rifle than I am a shooter.
11 years 1 month ago #20976

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

Lot of smart folks to include the President of ArmaLite use little break in procedures.

If I had to provide a summary I think it would be as follows: When using high quality bbls that are not the mass produced ones, bbls that use superior milling, machining, and finishing techniques, things like 2x and 3x lapping, chrome and stainless steels, bbls built to 'Target' or Match grade then long and arduous break in procedures are not required...that said, common sense is.

Common sense: High quality name brand ammo made to Match specs, good cleaning on that brand new gun immediately prior to shooting and a few swabs with some solvent and a dry patch early on in the first rds you shoot and you would be fine. Its what I did...

NOTE: ArmaLite recommends moly coated rds (BlackHills). If you want to shoot them fine, but I personally would recommend if you do, then stay with them don't switch around.
11 years 1 month ago #20984

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

Agree. If you season your bore with moly-coated bullets, then you need to stay with moly-coated bullets. It's a royal pain in the arse to clean out of the bore.
RLTW
11 years 1 month ago #20989

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by bipe215 on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

If anyone is looking for 308 brass (which has been non existent where I live), got some the other day from tacticalbrass.com. It was once fired LC long range, sized and cleaned.

Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: 10-76
11 years 1 month ago #20999

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by 10before15 on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

Congratulations on your new rifle purchase Maddog! So lets talk about the rifle. I followed the factory break-in process, but used regular 150gr,FMJ ammo. It took a while and to tell you the truth I don't really know if it did any good or bad. But I just wanted to give myself the piece of mind. I'm just starting to reload now, but I have been sampling many different types of ammo now for a few years. I hope here soon to have a awesome load worked up. Also, you may see some pretty heavy dings on your brass when you start firing it. Don't freak out, or adjust your extraction spring. Just give the gun a hundred or so rounds to work itself out and/or break in. My rifle would short stroke as well, but that was my fault. If I had it to do over again, this is what I'd do:
1: Buy some 168gr ammo to break in the rifle. This I believe will break the "Rifle" in faster to loosen things up a bit.
2: Put ammo in mag, Tap mag a few times on the primer side. Slide mag into the gun and hit the bottom of the mag to assure proper seating.
3: Pull the charging handle back and LET IT GO! DO NOT RIDE THE HANDLE BACK!!!
4: Do not rely on the BOLT RELEASE to charge the rifle.
5: Clean that barrel, and then clean it again.

Your gonna love that thing bro. Be sweet to her and unlike a regular women, when you need her, she will be there and never let you down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
11 years 1 month ago #21004

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Maddog on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

Where will I find the reloading sub-forum? Is it located under "Articles"?
Thanks, LebbenB
11 years 1 month ago #21006

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

Good advice and a thanks to you...

I think if you follow the detailed break in procedures to the letter you have lost nothing in the process...just to clarify, I and others far smarter and more knowledgeable than I am do not feel its 100% required (as it applies to high quality weapons) but if you do it , sure NOT gonna hurt a thing and more power too you on that. Let you common sense and gut be your guide...
11 years 1 month ago #21008

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by bipe215 on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

Click on Forum, then Index, scroll down
11 years 1 month ago #21011

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Armalite AR-10 on order. What do I need to know.

Welcome to the Forum Maddog and I can see you have been VERY well taken care of so far. :welcome:

We've got some of the smartest and most helpful guys on the internet here so you have definitely come to the right place.

Damn glad to have you aboard Sir and congratulations on the new rifle. :thumbs: :thumbs:
11 years 1 month ago #21040

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!