Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Disregard...

• Thank you received: 99

Replied by 10-76 on topic One of us here?

Very good. I can appreciate you looking out for the novices, but how about qualifying your opinions with some facts and/or alternatives?

For instance, I don't hear him saying he IS specifically using a graphite anti-seize, but what do you use? ( I have been using anti-seize paste for several decades and have not heard of this warning about graphite AS being a corrosive for certain metals and/or applications?)
11 years 3 weeks ago #22601

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic One of us here?

This!
RLTW
11 years 3 weeks ago #22604

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic One of us here?

I and sure many others on here would APPRECIATE you taking another look at that video and point out proper or better procedures. All of us have a goal of learning more and learning correctly or at least another way.

While I have most of my life with a gun in my hands going back to 5 when got my first gun, to my teens on the ranch where i wore a gun on my hip when working on the ranch (kill snakes), the military I am nothing but an end user. Not a gunsmith in spite of being a machinist for many years, never got into reloading. None of this precludes an interest but rather its a question of cycles and priorities. So I look to folks on here to provide me with additional knowledge...thanks.
11 years 3 weeks ago #22608

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic One of us here?

Unless one specifically states differently, when they say "anti-seize" , this means the standard stuff. I have been working aircraft for 28 years, graphite, the main anti gall component in "standard" anti-seize is extremely corrosive to aluminum, magnesium and titanium, google it or look in a scientific encyclopedia. I use a molybdenum base grease, exactly what the Armorer's manual has stated since 1957. Nickel or copper based anti-seize can also be used. Some use standard or extra pressure grease. While this may work, it does not contain the proper anti galling properties and stated in the manual to get a proper torque.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
11 years 3 weeks ago #22610

I'm not dogging the guy's video,......just the inaccuracies he stated.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
11 years 3 weeks ago #22612

NOT asking you to dog anyone's video, asking you to give us correct information. If I am doing something wrong and you point it out AND show me the correct way, or if I am doing something and there is a better approach or way of doing it, man, that makes you gold and me better.

That is what forums are about, exchange of info so we can all better our selves.
11 years 3 weeks ago #22614

That comment was simply a lancet statement.
Will get an excerpt posted shortly from the armorer's manual for barrel install.
The Armalite Tech Notes state "anti-seize".........make damn sure it does not contain graphite.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by faawrenchbndr.
11 years 3 weeks ago #22616

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic One of us here?

I think you're just jealous of how easy his barrel nut came off. :whistle:
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 3 weeks ago #22619

:dual:

:rotfl:
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
11 years 3 weeks ago #22620

Interesting:

I grew up being taught to NOT use graphite on anything except key locks and we always had a tube of the stuff laying around for that. Living on ranch and having tractors, trucks and all kinds of stuff much of it with high weather exposure. So we were always repairing something, but did not use graphite for anything but key locks. We used a lot of motor oil and wheel bearing grease on stuff and of course Gun Oil on our guns...
11 years 3 weeks ago #22622

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!