Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Getting My AR/10 to play nice.

• Thank you received: 1

Getting My AR/10 to play nice. was created by bodenspop9

Any body here shoot a 16" ar/10 T ? Having some trouble with stove piping. I bought the gun new with 20" T upper. Sold the upper and put on a NEW 16" T. I know it is not broken in good yet . Being a 762. I got My hands on 200 rounds of Win. 147gr. nato. The gun hates it !! Jam,s every few shoots. Was told By Armalite tec. I need to shoot 150 gr. or more. OK, I buy that. Then He asked Me about oil. I said I have it oiled up good with hoppes 9.It is wet ! He told Me to run motor oil in it, And heavy.VERY, Wet. OK !! Hell I have 2 stag ar/15s thousands of rounds of nato. Junk out of them with not ONE ! jam yet. NOT A ONE ! Any way. I got some 168gr. SMK. I have some varget & some 4320. & Lots of empty. I have till now only been reloading for My 308 Marlin. But with the $ of good rounds. I am hoping to find a round My Armalite will like .Can any body with this Gun , Tell Me what loads work good for them ?? Thanks People. I love the Gun, Just need to get it to behave better. :banghead:
11 years 1 week ago #23049

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Getting My AR/10 to play nice.

Did you have any issue with the 20" upper with stove piping? Or is this specific to the 16" only? There is a lot of good data available for the 168 SMK and Varget. I am just starting to reload again using reloader 15 and the 168 SMK. Just don't start out with max loads you probably know this already, cut back by at least 10% and work your way up.i expect one of the really experienced guys will chip in shortly.
11 years 1 week ago #23052

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Getting My AR/10 to play nice.

Congrats on the new rifle. You said you had it oiled with Hoppe's #9. Hoppe's #9 isn't a gun lube, it's a solvent. While it has some lubricating properties, it tends to burn off pretty quick. While the Armalite tech recommended using motor oil (and I know several folks who swear by Mobil One 10W-30), I prefer to use a high quality gun-specific lube like Royal Purple, SLiP 2000 EWL, and FP10. Others here have had good experiences with Frog Lube, though I haven't used it myself.

Stag makes a good product, I don't deny. But your Armalite is a T model, T for "target." It's clearances - the space between parts - are much tighter than a rack grade rifle. While the tighter clearances make for a tighter lock-up and greater mechanical accuracy, it can make the rifle a little ammo sensitive initially. Which is why a good lube is essential.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 1 week ago #23055

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic Getting My AR/10 to play nice.

bodenspop9, try removing the extractor and ejector from the bolt and then clean them with great detail. Then lube them up good.

Then test to make sure they work by putting a round onto the bolt face, make sure you catch the rim of the round onto the extractor, then pushing the round down on the ejector. If you let go of the round, it should go flying.

And if it doesn't, and everything is clean, you might have some spring problems.

Here's a nice video
11 years 1 week ago #23059

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Getting My AR/10 to play nice.

As I'm not sure about the motor oil thing. I know it has been done and it works...

Like already stated, Slip, Royal Purple, Lucas, CLP... any of those would work good too. Make your bolt and carrier wet, but not wet enough that it is dripping.

Go through your owners manual. Even in there they recommend that you use nothing less than 150 grain bullet up to a 175. In the "T" model it is best recommended 168's after break in.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
11 years 1 week ago #23074

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Getting My AR/10 to play nice.

I am going to turn to some experts on here to help on this. My thought is the 16" bbl may have had some impact. Did you just replace the bbl or did you replace the entire upper?

I am thinking of shorting the bbl on my AR 10T to 18 in. What impact does that have on the functioning of the weapon if all I do is shorten the bbl and nothing else? Should I give consideration to the the gas block size?

NOTE: I want to also flute my bbl and also shorten it.
11 years 1 week ago #23093

Replied by bodenspop9 on topic Getting My AR/10 to play nice.

Hi and thanks. I run Mobil one in My truck, & Royal Purple in My Harley Low rider. Am I right that You are saying R.Purple makes a oil that says it is for guns ? If So , I will try it. Thanks ! Maybe the oil I have is old, I have had it about 10 years, Or more. Maybe They do not make it anymore. But it is Hoppes 9 Gun oil. It says on it High Viscosity Lubricating oil. Orange Bottle. I have done some really stupid things in My life. like trying to climb A telephone pole with a harley back in 1990. But Im not that bad as to use Solvent. But then again That pole did give Me a steal plate & 7 screws. Not in My head, In My leg ! LOL ! O- Ya, I asked The Cop that first came and found Me to shoot Me. He said He was sorry but He could not do that. Now I am kind of Happy for that. I us Butches for cleaning. Thanks for all the Help. I am going to work up some loads with varget tomorrow. Maybe I will double up on the powder. JOKING !! Really though, Thank You , I will find the R.Purple.
11 years 1 week ago #23096

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Getting My AR/10 to play nice.

Take a look at this stuff:

randbrands.com/products/rand-clp

"RAND CLP is the best eco-friendly All-In-One: Cleaner, Lubricant and Protectant. RAND CLP enhances firearm performance and reliability using a rare vegetable oil base and a proprietary blend of nanoparticles to create a uniquely smooth and durable surface. RAND CLP is non toxic, odorless, safe on all metals, polymers and woods and provides faster & easier cleaning after the initial pretreatment.
11 years 1 week ago #23097

No, No trouble with the 20" But at the time I had 400 rounds of 175 gr. fed. gold. So that was all I put through it. I will work up some loads with Varget come tomorrow. And Yes I have Only had trouble with the 16. But have only shoot 147 gr. win.762 nato stuff out of the 16. I think that is most likely a big part of the issue. Thanks
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by bodenspop9.
11 years 1 week ago #23098

Thanks Dabu. I did take it apart & clean it very good and oil very good. But , What this shows is a great idea. I will also try this, When I take it down to clean and change oil type. Great vid. Thanks
11 years 1 week ago #23099

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!