Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Getting My AR/10 to play nice.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by bodenspop9 on topic Getting My AR/10 to play nice.

Mrraley, Thanks ! I will be trying to find the Royal Purple, Soon. Thanks.
11 years 1 week ago #23100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thanks Ole Cowboy. I will reed up on it. Thanks.
11 years 1 week ago #23101

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Getting My AR/10 to play nice.

Quick sidebar: Shortening the barrel from 20" to 18" might have an impact on the cycling of the rifle since less gas is going to be vented into the gas port (the bullet has 2" less time in the barrel) and that could affect dwell time. I use the words "might" and "could" because rifle length gas systems are pretty forgiving. IF cycling issues occur, usually you can use a lighter buffer or have the gas port opened up slightly. Consult with the guys doing your barrel work and hear what they have to say about it.
RLTW
11 years 1 week ago #23114

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Getting My AR/10 to play nice.

:hijacked:

In cutting down a barrel, you will... I repeat WILL have to have the gas port on the barrel adjusted for proper cycling.

It's not the gas block, unless you have an adjustable one. Even then that helps restrict the amount at best and does not allow any more than what the barrel is already allowing into it.

Short barrels = larger hole and long barrels = smaller hole.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
11 years 1 week ago #23116

Hi LebbenB. Sorry I tried to reply to You . But did not put Your name to it. Rocky Mistake on Me. The reply has a # on it > #23096. But any way it was oil I had in it. But I will be changing over to royal purple. So , Today I got out of My work early and hit the range for 1 hour. I still had the old #9 oil in it , But it was oiled very good. I shot 8 rounds of fed. gold medal 175gr.308. had 1 stove p. Then I shot 20 rounds,That I loaded last week > 8 loaded with 168 gr. smk with IMR 4320 43gr. Then 6 loaded to 44gr. Then 6 loaded to 45grains. ALL went through the Rifle with NO troubles. Then, I shot 20 rounds of a new brand ( To Me ) Trajetech 308 win. 175gr.SMK. had 5 jams in the 20. It was very accurate, But did not like spitting out of My Gun. ( Stove piping ). So, I will now take down the gun and oil it heavy, Heavy ! With 10 W 30. And whip up some loads with Varget and 168 SMKs. I just can not get a hold of How My loads with 168gr. SMK can cycle better then 175 gr. SMK loaded by 2 other companies. maybe a few hundred more rounds and it will loosen up.
11 years 1 week ago #23156

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Getting My AR/10 to play nice.

No worries, bro. What do the ejected Federal and Trajetech cases look like? ie, Scratches, dents, etc.

The same issue with two or three different brands of commercial ammo makes me wonder.
RLTW
11 years 1 week ago #23164

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!