Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Dented Brass

• Thank you received: 132

Dented Brass was created by mlotziii

My AR-10 leaves a nice fingerprint on the casing of every round it shoots in the form of a decent dent on the neck of every round.

If I load a round and do not fire it the casing is not dented so it has to have something to do with the ejection. I'm going to try filming it this week and see if I can identify what is doing it in high speed.

Does everyone else have deep dents in their spent brass also? I can't imagine using this stuff to reload with as deep as the dents are.

I realize this is worthless without a photo so I'll try to get a photo posted soon.
10 years 11 months ago #23683

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Dented Brass

once you get pictures I might be able to explain it a little better.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
10 years 11 months ago #23684

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Dented Brass

If I have any dents at all, which I usually don't, it is just below the shoulder, and is a very small, shallow crease which comes right out in resizing. But I have a standard AR10 which I assume has looser tolerances than a AR10T. Possible quick fix at least worth trying: Take a small piece of adhesive velcro, the soft non hook side, and put it on the face of your brass deflector. If it is denting from contact with the deflector, which I doubt, that should solve the problem. Otherwise, take a light and examine the ejection port and chamber for any brass colored streaks to see where it is hitting on ejection, that may give you a clue as to why this is happening. H and K 91's are famous for absolutely destroying brass, which is why a lot of people gave up on them.
10 years 11 months ago #23685

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Dented Brass

Here are about the worst I could find out of several hundred cases from a variety of makers;

These are pictures of the same three cases, one with flash and one without. They are headstamped R-P,FNB, and POF from left to right. The flash picture makes the FNB case look like the dent is huge when it actually has the smallest mark of the three.
Most of my cases only had light marks from passing the locking lugs on the way in, you can tell from the pattern of the scratch. What I looked through included 5 different military ball types and at least 8 different commercial loads.
In the past I've dented shoulders on 25-06 cases by having too much lube during re-sizing, I stuffed them and shot them. I wasn't a very cautious reloader in those days so nothing I had lasted long anyway.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 11 months ago #23688

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Blownchevy on topic Dented Brass

My brass is like Siscowet, describes small creases under the shoulder. I still reload them, just curious if this is the nature of the beast. My Tach 20 and My SASS both leave the same crease.
10 years 11 months ago #23704

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Dented Brass

"small crease under the shoulder" describes the dents I have ... All my spent brass is at my parents. I'm shooting on Thursday and will post some photos then.

Along with a range report for 150 gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertips, and 168gr Remmington Hog Hammers

Going to shoot them at 200 - 800 and maybe 1000 yards
10 years 11 months ago #23708

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Blownchevy on topic Dented Brass

I shoot the 168gr HPBT and the 155 amax from HSM. The 168gr HPBT I reload, I have been curious to how the 150gr bullets perform. The 155s to me are awesome. I tried the 150s in my SOCOM 2, wasn't real happy so I have been shooting the 168 and 155 since.
10 years 11 months ago #23712

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Bootheel on topic Dented Brass

Have the same problem with my SASS using 168gr Black Hills match ammo. The dent is right below the neck and is uniform and also deep enough that resizing doesn't eliminate the problem. I took some black electrical tap and padded the defector which seemed to help a lot. I'm reloading some military brass this week to see if a thicker brass might help.
10 years 11 months ago #23719

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Dented Brass

I am not sure what happened to my First post on this thread... :pinch: :angry: :ohmy: :banghead:
The Dents are Typical of the AR-10...given the way it is Stripped from the Chamber and then Hit the Deflector....
From everyone I know who ones one...they are "Typical" and no worries...
The cases can be reloaded....without issue..I as many others have done such..
As I stated in my "Previous" Post...there are a couple of threads on this subject...in the Archives...
I have seen both types of the marks displayed..and have reloaded the cases with out issue...Just go with it...or Order New Brass.... :angry: :pinch:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Siscowet
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
10 years 11 months ago #23734

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Dented Brass

BMS good to see you on the forum.
10 years 11 months ago #23735

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!