Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalite AR(T) a Barrel Question

• Thank you received: 6

Armalite AR(T) a Barrel Question was created by Michael_D_Henry

I have an AR10 A(T) a and I hunt a lot. After carrying around this beast for three days, I am interested in swapping the barrel for a lighter one. I was hoping I could find a 18"-20" "combat" style that would give acceptable accuracy without having to carry around a cannon. The Armalite website only offers a 16" carbine barrel. Is this the only option I have? I definitely love the accuracy of the 20" bull barrel, but would much rather carry around a lighter gun. If it is not possible to get one from Armalite, is the receiver/barrel nut compatible with any other brand or style. Thanks in advance for any information.
9 years 4 months ago #43317

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Armalite AR(T) a Barrel Question

Mike this is a common dilemma with AR10 shooters. Some really make it there mission to trim every ounce from the overall weight. I would say take a look at the light weight DPMS, and what they have done to lighten the load. Some here have had their bull barrels fluted , shortened to combat the heavy weight of the 10. As a hunter I know what your saying , after years of hunting with a hand cannon I simply do not stalk hunt with anything else taking shots at 150-200y is common with most of the larger revolvers. If your stalking with a AR10 get some shooting stix and a good sling.
9 years 4 months ago #43324

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Armalite AR(T) a Barrel Question

Mike, I have the AR10T carbine, and that four inches less of barrel makes a lot of difference in the weight and the handiness of the rifle. My other AR10 is the standard rifle, so it is not that much heavier, but the center of balance is definitely farther back with the 10 T carbine, and I give up little or nothing in accuracy with the shorter bull barrel at the distances I shoot. (600 yards or less). The main difference is the muzzle blast from the 16 inch barrel is a lot more.
9 years 4 months ago #43328

Replied by Michael_D_Henry on topic Armalite AR(T) a Barrel Question

Did you buy the carbine bull barrel or have one cut down? I have not see n one offered. How could really be cut out by fluting. I'm inclined to just live with it and hope in the future Armalite comes out with a 18" or 20" standard barrel that will fit.
9 years 4 months ago #43350

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Armalite AR(T) a Barrel Question

A couple times a year or so I see new take-off, standard 20 inch Armalite barrels for sale on ebay, I'll let you know if one pops up. :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 4 months ago #43352

I believe the 10T carbine was discontinued. I bought it on closeout.
9 years 4 months ago #43353

That would be great, thanks
9 years 4 months ago #43354

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by ARMALITE TR on topic Armalite AR(T) a Barrel Question

We have 4) B10A4 barrel assemblies currently in stock for $375.00.

www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=B10A...c2-80f2-59e99534f863

TR
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Libertarian623
9 years 4 months ago #43373

The barrel in the link has a 1:11.25" twist rate. How does that differ from the 1:10 rate of my current barrel. Would that be for a lighter bullet range?
9 years 4 months ago #43440

The 10BA4 is not a 10Tmodel. It would not have the stainless bull barrel, but the standard barrel. With a chrome lined bore. The 1 in 10 twist is exclusive to the T and National Match, and the Super SASS models. The standard rifle uses a 1 in 11.25 twist rate. And would generally tolerate lighter bullets better. My standard 10 likes 168 grain BTHP's however.
9 years 4 months ago #43442

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!