Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Armalite AR(T) a Barrel Question

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Armalite AR(T) a Barrel Question

Mike, I have researched this 7 ways from Sunday. I have an AR 10T and at my age its a HEAVY weapon, heck it ought to be crew served far as I am concerned. Want to really see how heavy it can be, shove in a 10 rd mag and get on the ground and stalk HOGs all day long. Arms fell like rubber at the end of the day.

That said, I am working on the specs for an upcoming build and my choice is:

Stainless Steel, 18 in, fluted Bull.

You got the weight savings, you got middle ground between 16 and 20, its a SOLID 600 yd gun and it delivers on accuracy at the hunting level...I have a manuf in mind but have not contacted them yet on how they machine their bbls. I personally think the top bbl maker is Krieger based upon their processes. NOT to say there are other that are not good or that Krieger is the ONlY great bbl maker. I just like their machining process (I am a former machinist of very hight end machine processes). I am still out on 5 R rifling, but am leaning towards it and progressive rifling of which I am a fan...so the challenge is to find a shop that can deliver on a SS, 5 R, progressive rifling in 18" configuration. I will let you know soon as I know...
9 years 4 months ago #43752

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Michael_D_Henry on topic Armalite AR(T) a Barrel Question

Wow, thanks for your research and report. Currently, I am looking at sending my barrel to Randall Roush at AR15barrels.com and he is going to cut it down to 18", thread it, and then sandblast it. From the research, I have done, he sounds like a real artist when it comes to barrel re-contouring. Any thoughts on this?
9 years 4 months ago #43753

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Armalite AR(T) a Barrel Question

You can get somme good results with an existing bbl. Just remember, any metal mods you make on an existing bbl will affect the accuracy...how much? From a little to a LOT, from groups a bit larger but still works for me, to I have seen 12 ga with smaller shot patterns.

Bottom line is when you begin removing metal or reshaping it you input new stresses and change old stresses, you cannot make a new bbl out of an old one. If your goal is 'pie plate' accuracy which puts game on the table, I would say you are fine, but if you want to start punching paper way out yonder and have groups tight as the eyelids on an old dog sleeping then its not likely to happen.
9 years 4 months ago #43754

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!