Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

shredding rounds on target

• Thank you received: 5

shredding rounds on target was created by Cale307

OK so I have been asking friends and coworkers about this issue I have been having... While zeroing my scope I have found lots of shrapnel damage from bullet fragments on my target at 100y. I'm being told its either a bur in my barrel or ammo but no one has actually had this happen to them. Others were saying ammo can't be the issue and it has to be my barrel

Now I know its not my barrel because I clean oil and inspect my weapon after every use. My barrel is clear no build up or dings in that barrel or rifleing. It may be the ammo I'm shooting PMC .308 146g but I have never had issues with PMC in any other caliber, other than being dirty.

I don't want to damage my weapon if it is something other than ammo is the cause
Has anyone had this issue and what was the issue?

I would appreciate the help.
9 years 1 month ago #44342

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic shredding rounds on target

Welcome Cale, Can you give anymore detail about the fragments, and have you recovered a bullet down range to examine them. If no I would do this first. Second switch to a different ammo something heavy 175-180gr. You said you where shooting half inch groups, was the rifle still producing shrapnel at that point. How does the brass look, looking for any odd markings.
9 years 1 month ago #44343

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic shredding rounds on target

Pics, please, type of target material (wood, paper, steel) and any other data you may have.

Also the advertised specs of the bullet: Jacketed, hollow-point, copper clad, Tungsten sabot, high speed, low drag design, rocket propelled or JATO assist, type of GPS system etc
9 years 1 month ago #44344

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by funfred on topic shredding rounds on target

I suspect tight twist and high velocity are ganging up on the lightweight bullets. They're spinning too fast to maintain integrity.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by funfred.
9 years 1 month ago #44346

Could well be correct which begs the question what twist rate and as iterated what about bullet itself, its weight and how made. If you are getting shrapnel downrange @100 yd going thru a paper target, it bears some investigation....
9 years 1 month ago #44348

Replied by Cale307 on topic shredding rounds on target

I have not recovered any rounds yet I will next time I'm out. There are no odd markings on the brass other than the occasional marking caused by feed errors. I unfortunately did not save any of my targets I will get pic next time, its paper target on wood stand and background is sloping dirt hill 10 yards behind target.
9 years 1 month ago #44349

Well, Cale, that right there is a good piece of info. Paper on wood, dirt berm, those slugs should be recoverable and not becoming shrapnel on you.

Is the ammo fresh, new or reload, did you buy it or someone gave it to you?
9 years 1 month ago #44350

Replied by Cale307 on topic shredding rounds on target

OK so I was able to find one of my targets... High right above shoulder four rounds, high right on shoulder 2 rounds, far left center 2 rounds All other damage is from shrapnel . I'm not sure if your implying damage could be made from wooden stand or dirt berm olecowboy but the impact is front to back no damage is being done to the target from behind.

As for collecting slugs its more difficult than going out digging them up to the area I am shooting is very popular.
Here is a sample pic of my brass, these are and not reloads.

Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Cale307.
9 years 1 month ago #44351

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

If those are the holes above the right shoulder, you have a problem. Is it intermittent , you said you had a 1/2 " group? Maybe the bullets are separating (jacket/core) during firing in the bore. Need a better pic of the brass bottom to identify who/what they are and where they come from. That may explain a lot. from the look of the hole I would say they are key holing. I will be back later.
9 years 1 month ago #44352

Please inspect the bore again carefully, then check the crown for any gouges. and last Paint one of your rounds with a black sharpy and lock and load it, and then eject it and take a picture of the bullet to see if its engaging the lands when its loaded. also will show whats happening in the chamber. Really need to inspect the rifle , pay attention to whether it has the original barrel.
9 years 1 month ago #44354

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!