Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

shredding rounds on target

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Cale307 on topic shredding rounds on target

Sorry I should have been more descriptive with that area, above the right shoulder are actual rounds must have gotten damaged in my bag. This was one of my targets I used during zeroing before the rifle started settling in.

P.M.C .308 WIN
9 years 1 month ago #44357

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sorry I should have been more descriptive with that area, above the right shoulder are actual rounds must have gotten damaged in my bag. This was one of my targets I used during zeroing before the rifle started settling in.

P.M.C .308 WIN
9 years 1 month ago #44358

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

OK so on closer inspection I have found that the barrel has no burs and rifling is clear I used a laser to check this. The barrel serial number match the rest of the rifle so it is original
9 years 1 month ago #44360

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic shredding rounds on target

LIb has provided some sage advice, allow me to add. You need to duplicate this. Go buy a box of high quality ammo with similar parameters such as type of bullet and weight.

Test that and see if you are having the same issue if so then look to the gun as the instigator.

Always try to duplicate your success/failures to try and isolate the reason for good/bad results.

Way back when: In my racing days I was using a Muncie 4 speed transmission and I kept breaking the 2nd gear syncro ring on the 1>2 shift at the track. I was young then and not as well traveled in life. I was telling one of my very good friends as the issue was albeit was inexpensive to fix, was a headache. Pull trans, take apart and the 2nd gear syncro ring was the most difficult to get at, replace, go race and break.

My buddy said how many times have you gone thru this? I said enough that I have wing-nuts holding my trans in and and do it in less than 1 hr in the pits. He laughed and told me to go MIC my syncro lugs. A small squarish lug (1/4x3/8) that engaged the syncro ring, 1 of 3 that did so. My buddy said one is too long and it binds the syncro ring...I ran my mic on them and sure enough one was a few .0000's too long and under the stress of racing with the 1>2 shift so critical it was breaking the bronze ring.

I took a pice of 80 grit sandpaper and a few min, problem solved.

My failure was in blaming the syncro rings because they broke, they were never the problem...
9 years 1 month ago #44373

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic shredding rounds on target

Cowboy has way more experience solving this type of problem than myself. I second his get a box of good ammo and figure out if its the rifle or the ammo before to much head scratching.
9 years 1 month ago #44376

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic shredding rounds on target

LOL, you are no piker that is for sure, I have learned plenty from reading your posts :twothumbs:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
9 years 1 month ago #44381

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic shredding rounds on target

Pretty much what I was thinking! or inspect the bullets, casing thickness and powder weight, might be on the heavy side. Cono if you can get one. I loaded some hot 22.250 one time and just blew the cono rings all to pieces. :usa:
AKAI
9 years 1 month ago #44388

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic shredding rounds on target

Head Space would also or should be checked :unsure:
AKAI
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
9 years 1 month ago #44399

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by GGaskill on topic shredding rounds on target

I can't tell from your avatar whether you have a muzzle device but if you do, check to see if it is tight, check to see if you are getting bullet hits on it. If you can, set up targets at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards in a row so one shot will go through all of them. If the bullet is blowing up on the way, you will see round holes followed by strange holes. Also, if you are getting lead leaks, you will get stripes around the holes.

Unless that factory ammo is overloaded or has defective bullets, I would be surprised if it is the ammo. Chronograph it if possible.

I have seen this problem in thin jacketed varmint bullets in a quick twist barrel at high velocities from an AR15. I think this explanation is less likely with .308 at 2800 fps.

Those odd shaped holes make me think you are hitting debris on the ground in front of the target and propelling it into the target. Might be a good idea to start your sight-in process at 25 yards so if you are way off line, you will get hits on the paper instead of lost shots you don't see because the recoil is masking the hits. Maybe have a spotter to watch for unexpected results. Or scope the target after every shot to try to keep track of every round.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, OleCowboy
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by GGaskill.
9 years 1 month ago #44401

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by weapons on topic shredding rounds on target

Being a reloader, I can tell you to pay attention to the twist rate of your rifle and the bullet weight of the round you are shooting.
If the bullet is too light for your rifle's twist rate you may be getting bullet-jacket separation due to excessive centrifugal force as the bullet spins. Depending on the velocity and other characteristics of the bullet and the barrel's twist rate, bullets can spin in excess of 300,000 RPM.

If your twist rate is 1:12 try using 155 gr bullets; if it is faster, try using heavier bullets such as 175gr.

Please advise of the results.
9 years 1 month ago #44407

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!