Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

An M15 for my wife...Assistance please.

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Moreau on topic An M15 for my wife...Assistance please.

You could always figure out what you 'want' and convince her that it is what she 'needs'. :thumbs:
10 years 10 months ago #24412

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sharkey
  • Sharkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Life Member
  • Life Member
  • Playgirl's Center-fold of the Century
  • Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic An M15 for my wife...Assistance please.

Devious thought for sure but I'll tell you about that...

When my wife and I met, I was shark fishing every weekend alone on my boat and would come in early on Sundays to sing at a restaurant where we met.

When I told her I shark fish EVERY weekend, she told me she was afraid of the ocean but would give it a try.

To make a long story short, since she is only about 5'1 and 115lbs, it was obvious it was going to take a LOT of training for her to be able to take on one of these bad boys even though she was thrilled/excited/exhilarated/terrified/fully joined when she saw the first few monsters cruising our boat and me doing battle with em. The most common, Blue Sharks, will range anywhere from 6 to as big as one 14 footer I bagged once and it's common to have 10 footers all around us at any given moment with the prize being either a mako or a thresher which is when the REAL excitement begins...

I backed things WAY down for her and started her back near the coast catching small stuff, working on technique with rod and reel, teaching her how to drive the boat in different sea conditions, navigation and electronics and everything to stay alive including first aid for having an arm ripped off or a hook through your hand.

We fished a whole season, splitting the difference between offshore and inshore fishing and even bought her all of her own, specifically for her, rods, reels, fighting belts, raingear, the works.

Within 2 years, she was literally standing there with me holding onto the back of her fighting belt as she did battle with her very first 8 foot blue shark for more than 30 minutes before releasing it at boat side.

I know if she enjoys something a little bit, if I do things right and get her set up in a way that is made more for HER, later on, once she is comfortable, pretty much anything I buy or do will be something she will be VERY ready to have fun with right along with me.

Therefore, I'm definitely going to just back it down a bit, wait for HER to see one she likes and wants and then, well, as my wonderful wife will prove all on her own, she will be one fully joined shooter for life and I'll be on my way to setting up a savings for a Barrett M107 in no time... :laugh:
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Sharkey.
10 years 10 months ago #24417

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic An M15 for my wife...Assistance please.

I wish I were so lucky. The wife has never wanted me to own firearms and will have nothing to do with them, even though my son and I thoroughly enjoy shooting.
10 years 10 months ago #24427

• Sharkey
  • Sharkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Life Member
  • Life Member
  • Playgirl's Center-fold of the Century
  • Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic An M15 for my wife...Assistance please.

I worry that I used up all my luck when I found my wife and may NEVER hit the darn lottery.

I'm guessing that since she's stuck with me, well, maybe HER luck on the powerball will be a LOT better...

If she wins, I win...twice.... :laugh:
10 years 10 months ago #24447

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic An M15 for my wife...Assistance please.

A good wife is better than money any day! :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 10 months ago #24488

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic An M15 for my wife...Assistance please.

What Sharkey's saying is very true.

I've only ever met one woman whom I could quite help get into shooting. It was the noise that bothered her most. Being able to own a suppressor (I lived in IL at the time) would have helped immeasurably, but it just wasn't possible. All of the others, you just have to start out slow and keep them comfortable. Oh, and give good instructions. If they don't know what they're doing (sight alignment, stance, etc.), they're less likely to enjoy it and want to do it again.
10 years 10 months ago #24508

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!