Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Froglube

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic Froglube

Beside the froglube you have shown they also have a spray that has that same material suspended in it. It's good for covering larger areas like the lower receiver and for spraying into the trigger area. It's all I use now. I tried some bare metal tests in a torture chamber we have at work for testing metal corrosion and this stuff does work. The only thing I found it didn't work that great on was the polymer framed stuff. It works to clean it ok but some of the polymers get slimy when they get hot.

These are the directions from FrogLube's site:
PREPARATION

1) Your new weapon is likely factory-treated with a lubricant or protectant of a petro-chemical substance or you may have used a petrochemical or other substances on your weapon.
2) For your first application; for best performance, it is preferred to remove any petroleum fouling or residue from your weapon using FrogLube Solvent™ or equivalent prior to applying FrogLube.
(If pre-cleaning is not practical or desired, FrogLube will penetrate and eventually dissolve corrosive petrochemical present on the weapon.)
3) It's best to clean ALL surfaces with FrogLube cleaning products - FrogLube cleaners do not leave a residue.

NOTE: You should discontinue the use of petrochemical-based cleaners and lubricants since they negate the optimal effects of a FrogLube-treated weapon.

If you could afford it they say the best way is to use a heated ultra-sonic cleaner. The stuff is pretty expensive though so I couldn't afford to do it even though I do have an ultra-sonic cleaner. I use a heat gun the first couple times I use it on a gun.

They have a pretty good website if you get a chance check it out: www.froglube.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 3 weeks ago #19764

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Froglube

How the heck did I miss that episode! :huh:
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 3 weeks ago #19776

:rolleyes: but I read it on the Internet, doesn't that mean it's true! :rotfl: Sounds like I may want to give the stuff a try.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 3 weeks ago #19783

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Froglube

Another little test on the FrogLube

I used one of the Froglube treated knives to cut a sammich. There was no minty or frogy residue transferred to the sammich, taste, smell, or color detectable. I did not get sick or die. Cleaning the knife was just a rinse and a wipe. I did not re-apply any frog lube. This is to test how much a single treatment holds up to use.

As for the complaints related to cold weather. All I can say at this point is that it was more likely a misuse of the product. Following the directions on the label left a thin clear coating, leaving nothing to gum up. I don't know if I would call it a dry lube, but it is near solid so I don't know how getting cold would make things worse. Maybe I should put my pistol in the freezer overnight and see if it changes anything.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 2 weeks ago #20466

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Froglube

Oops
I forgot about the test I was doing.

Anyway, this old STI ambi safety has been sitting out on the window sill in the rain, sun, & dew completely forgotten about. A coupleof nights got down into the 40's and recently there have been a few afternoons in the low 80's. Located on Florida space coast, there is plenty of salt in the air.

Granted none of this is definitive, scientific take to the bank results. It does demonstrate that Froglube is less prone to washing off treated parts. This is likely due to its near chapstick consistency. Where oils are displaced by moisture, FL stays gummed on pretty good I'd say.
On the FL treated half of the safety, there was some light "browning" for lack of a better word, of surface rust indicated by the arrows in the pic. This could have just as well been bad application on my part.

I still have and use CLP. I can not imagine a situation where I will leave a weapon neglected for this long just watching it rust in my hands. I don't really know how long the CLP lasted before it let the rust in, and still it is just surface rust that a little more CLP can remove. Nothing has been damaged. I would not let this rule out CLP, it is still good to go and does its job.
The Frog lube won this round, in my mind because it is a paste and didn't get displaced by the rain or condensation. I'd expect the same results with any grease or paraffin based product. Even though it's got CLP on it's label I'm not certain im seeing the C part happen since I cleaned and degreased everything I put it on, it really never had the chance to do any cleaning of its own.
I'm still using it on my carry piece and it's not showing any rust either.
Of course everyone should draw their own conclusions and decide for themselves. When I get around to ordering some stuff from mil-comm I'll pair it off in the test as well.

For science....you monster.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 1 week ago #21553

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Mil-comm will send samples if you email, at least they were a year or so ago.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 week ago #21556

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Froglube

Great test Colt and thank you. I'll be looking forward to your Milcomm test.

Guys, here is a link to some frog lube in various sizes and types that will also pay the site a percentage if you buy from there.
www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc?url=sear...ps%2Ck%3Afrog%20lube

Here is another to some of the MilComm TW25B also in several different sizes and types.

www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc?url=sear...2Ck%3Amil+comm+tw25b
11 years 1 week ago #21578

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!