Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Short Stroke Problem

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Short Stroke Problem

Glad to read you got it sorted out. Good on ya, then.
RLTW
11 years 5 months ago #12861

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Krisar10 on topic Short Stroke Problem

:twothumbs: Thanks man, yea i was worried there for a little. Did NOT want to have to sell it. Now its time to upgrade the trigger. Any suggestions? I know Timney makes a decent 4 pound trigger, but im wondering if there are any other companies out there that make a similar drop in trigger.
11 years 5 months ago #12869

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by mini14gb on topic Short Stroke Problem

I'd still like to see if the other guy gets his problem figured out.
11 years 5 months ago #12871

:I-agree:
11 years 5 months ago #12872

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by ernierod on topic Short Stroke Problem

Was going to wait till I tested the rifle myself.Will get the rifle back next week.Talked to Armalite's repair dept-they were very informative and customer friendly.Most people,I believe,feel that a short stroking problem is caused by lack of pressure to operate the action and for the most part-they are correct.I think a suppressor will also increase the pressure.Talking to Armalite technician he assured me the rifle WILL work with commercial ammo now,as he personally tested it himself-I believe him.These are the things that were accomplished on my rifle-the gas port(hole in bbl) was enlarged slightly (increasing operating gas pressure)by a couple of thousands. The chamber was polished-allowing easier extraction.And finally it sounds like the carrier,which was replaced,was slightly over sized,not out of specs,but enough to cause a slight slowing of the action.Logically-all of these measures would seem to work.According to Armalite,my hunch about the recoil(operating)spring being slightly too strong is not correct.I have been a competitive pistol shooter for over 50 years(45,38,32 and 22)and have built 3 or 4- 45's and I feel the recoil spring,if too strong will cause malfunctioning problems.IMO-of course.I have a spring tester and an extra spring(12.5" long)and am very curious as to the strength of the factory spring(13.5")VS the new spare spring I purchased.I might consider a slightly softer spring,in the future,IF every other possibility has been exausted. Hope this info helps someone. Cheers.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by ernierod.
11 years 5 months ago #12882

Short-stroking, as you've found out, is normally associated with a problem in the gas system. If the gas system isn't the culprit, then the next logical place to look is the buffer/buffer spring. Not just the length/strength of the spring itself but the weight of the buffer, too. Either and both will slow down (or speed up) the cycle of an AR.

A good way to check the pressurization/cycle speed is to look at your ejection pattern. A properly gassed AR will chuck cases ~3-4 ft from 1 o'clock to 3 o'clock (The muzzle representing 12 o'clock.)

If cases barely eject from the rifle - undergassed, spring too strong, buffer too heavy

If cases eject to the 4 o'clock or greater - overgassed, worn spring or buffer too light.

And then there are "hot" loads...
RLTW
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by LebbenB.
11 years 5 months ago #12914

GOOD POST LebbenB!!

I had never even considered that. Im def interested to see what the underlying problem is with ernierod's rifle is. But im also going to take my ar's to the range today and check the ejection pattern out.
11 years 5 months ago #12916

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by ernierod on topic Short Stroke Problem

Got my AR-10T back from Armalite.Talked to technician.They enlarged gas port,polished chamber-none of which I could confirm.They replaced the Bolt Carrier Assy-which does LOOK different-didn't change recoil spring.Rifle works fine-ejection is quite vigorous-4 o'clock ejection pattern. Using 140 gr bullets(various brands)and 4064 & 4831 powder-had no trouble shooting .5" and .6" groups (or less)what so ever (100yds). This rifle is REALLY accurate for a S/A action.New Vortex Viper-Mil Dot reticle-possesses outstanding quality.Cheers.
11 years 5 months ago #13000

Most ARs, regardless of caliber, tend to be overgassed a bit. This allows them to function with a wider range of bullet weights and powder charges. Some of the surplus ammo available today (British Radway Green springs to mind) is somewhat underpowered. Also, commercial .308 hunting ammo designed for bolt action rifles is somewhat underpowered for a gas gun.

I'm happy that Armalite did the right thing by you and your rifle is giving you the results you expected. Enjoy!
RLTW
11 years 5 months ago #13001

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Short Stroke Problem

Thrilled to hear you've got your rifle back and that Armalite delivered great customer service. ... Now where are the pics of that rifle?
11 years 5 months ago #13004

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!