Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Looking to buy my first ar 10

• Thank you received: 0

Looking to buy my first ar 10 was created by Bakul

I have been doing a lot of research trying to decide what AR 10 to buy. I was leaning towards the armalite sass but based on reviews I am not certain that their customer service is up to my standards. I have read that the dpms has very similar accuracy and is about a grand cheaper which leaves more room in the budget for a high end scope. I also like sig but have not heard a lot about their AR 10 version. Plus my cost will be right back up there with the armalite. I have no firm budget but am trying to keep cost down when I can. Any suggestions on this board as to what the best brand to go with?
12 years 9 months ago #8082

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Hawk45 on topic Re: Looking to buy my first ar 10

From what I have read Armalite has good customer service, and a lifetime warrenty. DPMS can be hit or miss and their customer service seems to be decent. I would stay away from Sig as it isn't proven. You want a great 9mm or .45, sig is great. But for rifles, I stick the the guys that make rifles for a living.

You mentioned budget.. what is your cap? $2500?
Do you have a barrel length preferance or other parts you would like?
What will the rifle be used for?
Is weight a factor?

LMT MWS is about the same price as the Armalite SASS and gets EXCELLENT reviews ($2500 - $2800).
Armalite SASS is good rifle, but if you aren't going to use a suppressor, look at the National Match ($1800)
DPMS SASS is a very good option to as it comes with everything (fip-ups, bipod) and shoots lights out.

There are lots of other options but until we know more what your purpose is for the rifle, it's hard to narrow down.
12 years 9 months ago #8084

Replied by Bakul on topic Re: Looking to buy my first ar 10

I guess my limit would be around the 3k that the armalite costs. I would love to get under that so that I can get a good optic as well right off the bat. Weight is not really a factor but when it can be reduced I would. I have been focusing on the 18 and 20 inch barrels so far. I would like to get into some amateur shooting contests at local gun clubs ( more sniper style, and less tactical). I also would use it for hunting and for SHTF times so hopefully mainly the competition stuff.
12 years 9 months ago #8086

Without a doubt.. get an LMT MWS then. 16" barrel for about $2500 and is battle ready, yet will shoot sub moa even with the chrome lined barrel. Not too light, not to heavy and should fill all your needs. You can do barrel swaps too in about 10 mins (comes with all the tools). Extra barrels are about $700. Guys over on Sipershide are getting hits out to 1000yds and beyond. Very good accuracy to 800yds.

Check out this thread.. first one that popped up:
www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58056
12 years 9 months ago #8087

Let me check that out. Is there a lot of difference between the 18 and 20 inch barrels to justify the increase in weight or would an 18 be just fine?
12 years 9 months ago #8090

They come standard with the chrome lined 16" barrel. You can get them also with an 18" or 20" stainless steel barrel (non-chrome lined). The stainless steel barrel will cost about $500 more, give greater accuracy (depending on shooter skill of course) but wear out faster than a chrome lined barrel (still over the 5K round range.. which is A LOT of rounds.. do the math on the cost of 5000 rounds).

Do a search on the difference in barrel length for the .308 (7.62x51). If I recall it's something like only 50fps difference per 2 inchs (or possibly per inch). The 18" is the best of both worlds good for long range 1000yds yet not overly long for carry (having a collapsible stock is ideal if you plan to carry). But don't be fooled, a 308AR platform is not an AR15 platform. 308ARs are HEAVY compared to a standard AR15. I think the 16" LMT MWS is just shy of 10lbs w/o mag or optics/rings. In all honesty I think the 16" chrome lined will do everything you want and more. If you are shooting over 800yds consistantly, then maybe go with the 18", but if you want a great multi-use rifle for hunting, range work (100-800yds), SHTF,etc.. the 16" will be best in my opinion.

Just to add another option.. checkout the Armalite Carbine SST with the midweight barrel and mid-length gas system. This would be my second choice probably, staying under $2500. If you want to move up more towards the 3K mark, checkout the Larue OBR also, great system, but pricy. More you say.. look at Noveske. Oh, and you could have the guys at GAP build you a custom to your specs (see their sight www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2011-cu...ecision-gap-10-.html)
12 years 9 months ago #8092

Thanks for all the great information. I have a lot to look up and research.
12 years 9 months ago #8094

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Looking to buy my first ar 10

~60 FPS/inch. Given the same cartridge, a 16" barrel loses about 240 FPS to a 20" barrel.

As for the Sig 716, though it's advertised on their website, it isn't available yet. My SWAG would be fall 2011 or winter 2012. And if Armalite's CS isn't "up to your standard," wait til you deal with Sig. While I've had no problems personally with my Sigs, others have reported numerous QA/QC problems with their products. A quick perusal of sigforum and sigarms556 would prove enlightening.

Hawk45 gave some good options for accurate .308 ARs, but bear in mind the words "precision" and "inexpensive" are mutually exclusive as it pertains to shooting.
RLTW
12 years 9 months ago #8099

Thanks for the info.

I personally have never dealt with Armalite CS, just taking in what I have read so far. I called a local range/shop and they suggested the LMT MWS as well.

I have read that while you can interchange the 7.62 x 51 and .308 ammo with the same barrel, people have reported some trouble with using the 7.62 in the .308 chambered barrel but not the other way around. They did not specify if the problem was jamming during the loading phase or if it was problems with the ejection after the shot. Just wondering if anyone on here has heard of that?
12 years 9 months ago #8111

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Looking to buy my first ar 10

A 7.62 chamber is slightly longer than a .308 chamber. IIRC, about .013". It usually doesn't cause a problem when using quality commercial .308 ammo. Using 7.62 in a .308 chambered rifle has the potential to cause some ftf issues due to lack of headspace.
RLTW
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by LebbenB. Reason: dyslexia
12 years 9 months ago #8122

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!