Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Newbie trying to build 1

• Thank you received: 4

Newbie trying to build 1 was created by txhollowpoints

Hey guys just a young kid here with a passion for things that go bang! Got my funds set up to start puttin one together I'm no master gunman so I ain't gonna buy the lowers and uppers and all that stuff so im gonna start with a bare gun and make it my own! Don't really no a lot about nothin and dang sure ain't rich enough to buy a COLT with a NIGHTFORCE scope. I have a DPMS ar-15 and I enjoy it seems like a good brand so I was thinking of going with the same in the 308 round the one I was looking at is called the DPMS panther 308 Winchester 19+1 with a 24 inch bull barrell the price I'm looking at is 962 shipped to my local gun shop? Idk if that's good or bad price or maybe another better gun out there idk y'all tell me.
Another thing SCOPES don't no much about em but I've been talkin to a buddy of mine and he has a BURRIS so I was looking at them and they have an AR line of scopes for the 762. It's a 4.5x-14x-42 the price on it is about 600 shipped? Once again idk how good they are I wish there was a place where they would let me try stuff out and pick what I want but then again I also wish my wife looked like Megan Fox but don't think that's gonna happen either.
Also any other accessories I should get? Bipod, different trigger, different buffer, or one of those things like a bipod that goes on the but stock idk what it's called! Sorry for sounding stupid
Also what ammo?
I'm gonna do prairie dog huntin in west texas and LOTS of hog huntin in south texas and maybe a deer every now and then but mostly to shoot at targets and enjoy the gun
I'm not the best shot in the world but would love to learn to shoot out to 8-900 yards and be accurate. Any insight would be appreciated and thankful also have learned a lot from y'all so far and y'all have some awesome guns
9 years 4 months ago #43782

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Newbie trying to build 1

A DPMS with a Bull Barrel and a Burris scope will be a good combination. If you want an Armalite instead, check some back threads there are some good sales on those too. Try CDNN's firearms website. I have a Burris on my AR10T carbine and like it a lot.
9 years 4 months ago #43783

Replied by txhollowpoints on topic Newbie trying to build 1

Thank u for the reply I appreciate it! I'll for sure look into the armature guns but as far as the scope glad to hear it's a good scope! What about good bipods? And the little bipod that goes on the butt stock? Is there a certain good brand on accessories to get and a certain brand to stay away from?
9 years 4 months ago #43787

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Newbie trying to build 1

Harris is the standard for bipods. I have an Atlas and just love the thing, they make both bipod and the monopod;

www.accu-shot.com/Accessories.php

Harris is a bit cheaper but I wouldn't recommend going any cheaper than that. I tried a walmart special and had the bipod literally fall apart while shooting.
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 4 months ago #43788

Hahahha that's not awesome but funny as hell! Another prob dumb question but I gotta ask. I want a suppressor! I've heard mixed things from no reliable sources so I'm sure none of it means shit! But some people say u still have to have a class 3 license to have one then other people are saying no u don't have to have a class 3 anymore unless ur gonna sell them! Which I'm not going to and one guy told me u gotta send in form 4 and 200 dollars to the ATF and u gotta get the local sheriff to sign off on u having one! How much of this is true or what should I believe? Also when all finished I wanna get it dipped or sprayed or whatever u do desert camo whats the best way to paint these things without heat from the barrell messing up the paint
9 years 4 months ago #43789

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Newbie trying to build 1

As far as I know it should be the form and $200 to the ATF on the federal end of things, the rest is based on state and local laws.
I can't have one here in Iowa no matter what the federal laws says :(
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 4 months ago #43791

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Newbie trying to build 1

Good news Tex there are some real good deals on suppressors out there, most of the shops that deal in suppressors will help you with all the appropriate paperwork. The wait can be a couple months or more. Hook up with someone close to you with good customer service.
9 years 4 months ago #43792

Man I don't care about the wait it will prob take me every bit of a month or 2 to get the gun just right with everything on it so I got time and I live in a small town with a small gun shop that an old man runs so I'm sure hell give me some help I'll have to go in there after Christmas and ask him about helping me! That sucks about Iowa not letting you have a silencer! That's y I love texas FULL OF REDNECKS:)
9 years 4 months ago #43793

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Newbie trying to build 1

Tex current waits on form 4's are 4 months for Efile and 8 months for paper. looking at 10 weeks currently for SBR if your interested. Also checked family in San Antonio they say the Silencer Shop in Austin is the place to go. They have everything you want right there , you can buy and then wait.
9 years 4 months ago #43796

I live 40 miles south of San Antonio in a little oil boom town! I'd take a trip to Austin whats the place called? And what's SBR?
9 years 4 months ago #43797

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!