Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

1st AR question

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic 1st AR question

When I first started learning about the AR10 was in an article in the Old Stoeger Arms catalogue of 1959. They had this story about a new rifle made of space age materials from Fairchild Aircraft called the Armalite AR10. Back then you had to either work for Fairchild or be a member of the Army of the Netherlands to shoot one. Flash forward 53 years later and I started doing research. I had always wanted an M1A, but the more I read the more I decided I wanted something with more flexibility and aftermarket equipment. available.I originally ordered a Rock River arms LAR-8 standard A4. I liked the idea of using FN FAL mags which used to be readily available. But after four plus months of waiting, a AR10 A4 standard flattop showed up at my LGS. This was about a month before Conneticut. I decided to go ahead and take that. In retrospect that was one of the best moves I ever made. One I got possession of it, and two, it is an absolutely quality built rifle that is very accurate. In retrospect, I should have gone straight to the AR 10, although both the RRA and M1A are fine rifles. I think the AR10 fits my needs the best.
11 years 2 months ago #16445

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic 1st AR question

In '58 I was popping squirrels with my granddad's Remington 510X, and had never heard of .308. My first encounter with the AR-10 was about 1984 when a bunch of parts kits came on the market. I think they were Netherlands or SA de-mils. The assembled upper was there along with the cut lower, but you couldn't get a new lower to save your life! I salivated over 'em for months, but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on something that was likely to remain a basket case.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 2 months ago #16447

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Redscout02 on topic 1st AR question

Man I bet you didn't what kind of bee's nest you kick when you ask this question did ya?
Ok so we all been doing this a while er some of dem hav anyway sorry to say your 2 grand budget most for the most part aint going to get what your after, unless you take your time. Armalite is what most of us went with because the name and product been around awhile, I have had mine for almost 5 years and it has been to Alaska bear hunting all way down to Texas hog killing, I have put everything in it. It has never fail to fire and I don't teat it as well as many here do. You have to make up your own mine but I have to tell ya I aint sorry I bought this rifle. Hope we help
11 years 2 months ago #16449

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic 1st AR question

Out of curiosity, when was your first tour of RVN?
Not to quote you out of context, but if you see nothing wrong with a piston AR, why have you spent space throwing the concept under the bus? Currently, there are more piston ARs out there in deployment zones than you'd think. In addition to some American units, the Norwegians use the HK416/417 as their standard rifle.I gather that you've never fired a piston AR. If you're not too far deep into TX, I live near the TX/OK border. Perhaps we could hook up and I'll bring a couple of my piston rigs and let you try them out. And I agree that DI (Or more accurately, an Expanding Gas system, to quote Stoner's patent) works well enough. I never wrote that a piston AR should replace what's in the inventory currently, just that a piston AR has it's niche.

As for the "it isn't combat proven," and "battlefield reliability versus civilian reliability" comments I will only mention the Sig (Swiss Sig, not American Sig) 550-553. A rifle that has never been to war, but is regarded as one of finest rifles of it's type.On this, at least, we both agree.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Siscowet
11 years 2 months ago #16456

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic 1st AR question

In 58 that's what I was doing as well. I was a 10 year old who read everything I could about firearms when I wasn't bugging my Dad to let me target shoot.
Leb and Cowboy: I am learning a heck of a lot from your discussion. Civil disagreements about points of view bring out a lot of information. Thank you both.
Leb, with my AR180 and My AK I noticed a sharper recoil.than on the AR platform. Do you find that is the case with your piston models?
11 years 2 months ago #16463

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic 1st AR question

With the 5.56 AR, the recoil impulse is about the same vice my DI guns. My 7.62 rig has less perceived recoil than my AR10 carbine because of the heavier barrel and PRS stock soaking much of it up, which makes for quicker follow up shots.

Which leads me to the biggest negative (As always, IMO) of a piston gun - weight distribution. In a DI AR, the reciprocating mass (the BCG) of the rifle is located in the center of the rifle closer to the operator versus an op rod/spring over the barrel further away from the shhoter. Coupled with a beefier gas block, most piston guns (Not just piston ARs) feel nose-heavier than a DI AR. This makes for faster follow-up shots, since the barrel will "settle" back onto target quicker. But it also makes for slightly slower transitions to new targets since the operator has a bit more swing weight to deal with.
RLTW
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by LebbenB. Reason: Grammar and spelling
11 years 2 months ago #16487

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!