Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Took The Plunge - UPDATED WITH PICS

• Thank you received: 188

Took The Plunge - UPDATED WITH PICS was created by LebbenB

And ordered an AR upper in 300 Blackout. I had been on the fence about this for a couple of years. I really like this cartridge, but I wanted to wait and see if it got any traction in the market. Commercial ammo for it is running around $18-20 a box. Before the scare, it was $12-15. Forming cases from .223 is pretty easy and bullets for it are pretty common, so it's a natural for reloading.

There are a lot of upsides to this cartridge. More downrange energy than .223, uses AR mags without any loss of capacity, and it's easy to reload for. All in all I'm pretty excited about it.

Pics to follow once it gets here.
RLTW
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by LebbenB.
10 years 9 months ago #26973

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 99

Replied by 10-76 on topic Took The Plunge

Nice! Interested to hear how it works out...
10 years 9 months ago #26974

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by Wizard509 on topic Took The Plunge

I, too, am interested in the 300 Blackout.

What are the specifics (length, profile, and twist) on the barrel you will be using?
10 years 9 months ago #26977

Replied by LebbenB on topic Took The Plunge

I went with the AAC 16" upper with the KAC URX II rail system. Low profile gas block, medium contour 1-7" twist barrel. Both barrel and chamber are melonited and the BCG is Nickel Boron coated. I chose AAC since they perfected the round and would know best how to spec an upper as far as chamber dimensions, gas port diameter and so forth go.
RLTW
10 years 9 months ago #26978

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Took The Plunge

Good on you!
10 years 9 months ago #26980

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic Took The Plunge

I've been debating with myself to go 300 blackout or 6.8spc. I've heard a lot of good about the 6.8 but not much about the 300.

I'd love to hear how it works out :thumbs:
10 years 9 months ago #26982

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Took The Plunge

At last, a new review on a new rifle... Seems like forever since one of the family picked up a new toy.

Looking forward to the full report Lebben - I know it'll be a good one... :thumbs: :thumbs:
10 years 9 months ago #26984

Replied by LebbenB on topic Took The Plunge

I really wanted to like 6.8 SPC when it came out in 04 or so. But it never got the traction and support that it needed (or deserved, really.) This kept the price per round high as well as the components necessary to reload for it.

For my needs - SD/HD and pig hunting - 300 BLK fits the bill just fine. I get the power of 7.62x39 in the accuracy of the AR platform. I don't lose mag capacity and 300 BLK brass can be formed from .223 cases. And at the end of the day, if 300 BLK doesn't work out for me, all I have to do is re-barrel the upper to .223/5.56 and continue to rock.

For more info on 300 BLK, there's a couple of forums dedicated to it.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dabu
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by LebbenB.
10 years 9 months ago #26985

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Took The Plunge

Congrats, want to hear more. Look forward to your field report. Shark, that might be an option for your missus.
10 years 9 months ago #26986

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Took The Plunge

Indeed. Another reason I'm looking forward to a review from Lebben. I know I can count on him to give us the solid goods.

I looked at them but at the time, availability of ammo was NIL so I shot it down at the time but who knows.... :)
10 years 9 months ago #26990

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!