Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Took The Plunge - UPDATED WITH PICS

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Took The Plunge

300 BLK is really nothing more than a slightly tweaked version 300 Whisper. As I understand it, 300 Whisper was trademarked by JD Jones/SSK. Coupled with a lack of SAAMI acceptance, it remained a wildcat cartridge with no standard chamber spec. AAC took the 300 Whisper/300-221, modified the case and chamber a bit to get around the trademark issue and got SAAMI approval. That AAC had support from Remington Defense was also a big plus.

AAC didn't trademark the round, essentially allowing all ammo and rifle makers access to the specs. This has allowed the round to establish a foothold in the market.

To my knowledge, Remington, Federal and Cor-Bon have a 300 BLK line. Smaller ammo makers like HSM and PNW both make 300 BLK. Hornady says their 300 Whisper will work in a 300 BLK chamber since it's made to the 300 BLK standard.

The upper should be here today or tomorrow. I'm so excited, I'm giddy.
RLTW
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by LebbenB. Reason: Additional info
10 years 9 months ago #26991

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Took The Plunge

6.8 xxx: RUN, don't walk, get away as fast as possible.

6.8 xxx is on its 3rd version trying to sell this dud.

What is 6.8? THINK dumbed down, really dumbed down .270.

6.8 was an attempt by a handful of folks to cash in on the unhappiness with the 5.56 stopping power. They had the background and connections, dreamed up a new cal and thought they could walk right into the Army and sell it and they would have pocketed MILLIONS each. Well the dreams of sugar plums did not work out for them. The reasons were many but being a new rd and not having a manuf base along with not bringing much to the party beyond the 5.56 and all their buddies in SpecOps could not put Humpty Dumpty back together. Also the Top brass at SOCOM did not like it for the reasons stated and more. No doubt sooner or later some liberal reporter would follow the money trail and create a scandal.

One of the Army board members for eval used to work for me and when the drum beat got hot and everyone was calling the 6.8 something from the Gods, I gave him a call and wanted his thoughts...he said is was not happening for all of the reasons above and a lot more. He was a Vietnam combat vet and a scientist working for the govt. We worked together for 10 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by OleCowboy.
10 years 9 months ago #26999

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Took The Plunge

I tried 6.8spc and ended up selling the upper, dies, and brass about 2 years later. It just did not bring enough to the table to justify it. .300blk on the other hand is one I've been watching as well.

I can't wait for this review.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
10 years 9 months ago #27042

The upper got to me yesterday. Got in from work, threw a little chow in my face and then tore it down to clean the preservatives out of it. So far I'm happy with the construction (The gas key screws are staked so deeply they're NEVER coming out.) Pics to follow tomorrow. Range report on Sunday. I've got some 125gr Hornady supersonics as well as Remington 220gr subsonics. I'm gonna sneak out from work to the new Academy here in Lawton and see if they've any different weights.
RLTW
10 years 9 months ago #27086

The upper got here about 2 weeks ago. I was a little surprised that instead of the Knight's URX II rail, it had the newer URX III. I really appreciated how much lighter the rifle is without the excess rail materials. The upper is riding on a stock DSA lower w/Magpul ACS. The optic is an Aimpoint T-1 w/4 MOA dot.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

A closer look at the AAC 51 tooth FH. It does it's job well and adds a bit of flair to a pretty mundane part. The only downside is that by keeping this FH, it locks you into AAC supressors only. Of note are the threads on the base of the FH. This allows use on an AAC can with removing the FH. Pretty convenient feature.

A look at the BCG, broken down.

A closer look at the cam pin. Notice the rounded edges. This is to mitigate the rubbing that occurs when the cam pin moves against the receiver wall while cycling. Nice touch.

And the extractor. I like the oversize O ring around the spring.

The bolt carrier is NiB coated inside and out. It gives it a slick feel. It also makes clean up easier. The carbon "sits" on top of the carrier and wipes off as easy as wiping off the firing pin. The staking of the gas key is DEEP. There isn't a worry in my mind that this part isn't secure.

Ammo comparison shot. From left to right - 69gr Fed .223 OTM, HDY 125gr AMAX 300 Whisper (SS), 220 gr REM 300 BLK (Subsonic), 168gr SMK .308.

SHOOTING IMPRESSIONS
I had a nasty summer cold week before last and wasn't able to get and do an actual test for accuracy. I did take the rifle on a recent trip to La Veta CO and got to shoot it there. I zeroed the T1 with the HDY 125s. From an improvised rest at 50 yds, it grouped into less than 2 inches. In a more sterile environment, I expect this number to drop substantially.

Perceived recoil with the supersonic 125s was about the same as .223, maybe just a bit more. With the subsonic 220s, the recoil was about like a .22 mag.

The rifle handles well and points quickly. This is due in the main to the reduced weight of the FF sleeve. Controlled pairs and hammers on multiple targets are smooth and quick to execute. A quick tip of the hat to DSA. The stock trigger in the lower, while somewhat heavy, was smooth and predictable.

There were issues with both the Rem and HDY ammo. The 220 gr subs had trouble cycling in the rifle even though it had a light carbine buffer. I believe this ammo would work flawlessly had a can been attached, the extra backpressure giving the BCG the push it needs to cycle properly.

The 125 gr HDY 300 Whisper was more problematic. I experienced high pressure signs in both boxes I brought with me - smeared caseheads and in one instance, a blown primer. The HDY stock number is 8902. While mine is a data point of one, I would be leery of using this ammo again. An email has been sent to Hornady explaining my issues with their ammo.

So now the hunt commences for a good load for the beast. The two most common powders mentioned are H110 and IMR 4227.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 9 months ago #27305

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Took The Plunge

Nice Leb. Great preliminary review as always.

I've got to throw out here though that it's just not fair to us NON reloader guys ya know if you don't at least FIND a good store bought load that works well with that rifle. (insert really whiny voice here with a little baby foot stomp)... :)

I know you are a serious custom load man but it really would be nice to know what DOES go through it well enough to make it a feasible and dependable option for the gen pop so if you can find it in your heart AND in your budget, see what you can come across in your travels por favor....
10 years 9 months ago #27306

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Took The Plunge - UPDATED WITH PICS

Nice write up Leb, nice pictures, sounds like you like the first impression. I hope you do follow up tests and posts sounds like everyone is eager to hear what your getting. I bought that AR pistol last winter as a truck gun and was draw to the 300BO ballistics, if it pans out well for you I plan on putting a 300BO 10.5 on that. Thanks again for the great write up.
10 years 9 months ago #27307

Replied by LebbenB on topic Took The Plunge - UPDATED WITH PICS

Of course I'll post up results with commercial ammo. That's a given, compadre. ;)

I do like it quite a bit, I'm anxious to find a load - commercial or hand loaded - that'll work reliably with the gun. The 220's may yet pan out as the parts in mine wear in and produce less friction. Even without a can, the noise from the shot was minimal. What ammo are you running in yours?
RLTW
10 years 9 months ago #27308

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Took The Plunge - UPDATED WITH PICS

Nice write up Leb. But coming from you that is no surprise. Thanks. The 300 Blackout is an intriguing round.
10 years 9 months ago #27309

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Took The Plunge - UPDATED WITH PICS

Dang.... this is not helping my wallet any.

Great write up. Gotta love that staking, that is deep. Got your eye on a can for it?
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 9 months ago #27319

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!