Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Case Headspace Gauge Use?

• Thank you received: 556

Case Headspace Gauge Use? was created by jtallen83

I just got my press bolted down after it sat in a box for 20 years now. As a kid I cranked out lots of .222, 22-250, and 25-06 for bolt guns. I always neck sized then and had never heard of a case length headspace gauge. After much reading I decided to go with full length resizing(Hornady dies) and saw the headspace gauge highly recommended for loads used in AR's so I got one(Lyman). I followed the directions with the die and the first case fit the gauge just right. Next case is real tough and doesn't fit the gauge, I run it again with no change. I adjust the die down so now it actually cams over a little, this makes it work but the next case ends up short in the gauge..... I realize I'm going to have to sort the brass by brand now from the start( I have a large mixture from experimenting in my AR-10), I never had this issue in the past. The Winchester brass slides in and out easy and requires the lighter setting to fit the gauge right, the Federal cases both FGMM and the M1A stuff as well as Fiocchi match cases have to be at the deepest possible setting and run in and out at least twice to fit the gauge, a few just wouldn't fit no matter what I tried.
My questions; Am I missing something in the procedure? Should I just discard any cases that don't fit the gauge and move on, they are very close but do stand proud or sit a hair short? I didn't realize I could go to far on the easier brass :unsure:
Hope I have an easier time setting up the case trimmer........
I was hoping to warm up to reloading again by stuffing some 45 acp but now that I go to buy some I can't find any large pistol primers, dumb time to start reloading again :banghead:
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 month ago #18071

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Case Headspace Gauge Use?

Once you get your case trimmer set up, try the headspace gauge again. (BTW, you did pick up a deburring/chamfering tool, didn't you?) When looking at your load data, you should see an entry for "Trim To" length; it'll be a little shorter than the case overall length. Trim the case to that spec, run it through the re-sizing die then check it against the headspace gauge.

Did some reading on the Lyman case gauge. Opinions vary widely about it's usefulness. The most common complaint about the Lyman gauge is that the interior dimensions are off. So it might be the gauge itself.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, 10before15
11 years 1 month ago #18101

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Case Headspace Gauge Use?

I've got my RCBS deburring-finger print remover tool from decades ago, still sharp. The cases not fitting the gauge are sticking out the end of the length part of the gauge as well, guess I should have been looking at both ends of the gauge. I'm surprised to see it is the match grade stuff that has the widest variances there, I figured they were a little harder to size due to thicker walls but there is better than a 1/16 inch standing proud on them.
I guess having never used one of these gauges I'm not sure how consistant my cases were in the past. My biggest worry was the fact I was getting such a wide variety of sizes out of my sizing die. Even if the gauge isn't the correct dimension it stays the same dimension. I ran the oversize ones several times and they didn't change but then run a Winchester case and it would fall short in the gauge with just one stroke. Does anyone else here use a case gauge?
For now my biggest concern is not doing anything that will harm my pride and joy, it be a bummer getting a face full of hot gas as well! Am I being to picky with the gauge? In the past I followed a few checks out of the book with my calipers and then checked a dummy round in my gun for fit, only issues I ever saw was when I kept playing close to the pressure signs which I will not be doing now.
Aside from the gauge what is going to be the best/safest method to make sure my case headspace is totally safe? Should I pitch the cases that show short headspace or just save them for a bolt gun?
I can't wait till this hobby becomes the relaxing therapy I remember, even as an impatient teenager I remember time disappearing at the bench, and then there was something very special about whacking that coyote with one you rolled yourself. As I was readjusting dies and checking cases again and again this weekend I found myself contemplating that $1 a shot M-80 ball.........
Thanks for the help Lebben :bow: , I got a feeling I'll have a few more questions before I start pulling the trigger on my home rolled! I'm going to get trimming as soon as I dig out from the snow this morning so I'm sure I'll run into something I'm not sure about by evening. Thanks again! :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 month ago #18107

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic Case Headspace Gauge Use?

I don't use that particular gauge. I use a Wilson headspace/case gauge . I usually use a small base die for thick cases if I have to. I have found some brass fired from a military style gun expands quite a bit when it is fired. Thicker brass seems to stay there while thinner bras "pops" back after you fire it. That being said I usually don't have to use the small base die on brass fired out of my AR10. I have another manufacturer's AR type .308 (DPMS) that I stopped reloading the brass out of because it expands the brass so much that I have to use the small base die every time (PITA). I use Lee dies and the Wilson gauge together and haven't had any problems with them resizing to fit the gauge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 1 month ago #18110

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Case Headspace Gauge Use?

Small base dies for semi-auto rifles are key. I missed the type of die Ranger Allen was using in his initial post. That's what I get for responding before I've had my coffee. :banghead: Sorry for any confusion I've caused.
RLTW
11 years 1 month ago #18113

For the money I may just try that Wilson gauge, looks just like the one I have but then I guess the inside is where it counts. I got several Wilson case gauges at auction, had every caliber I might load except .308.
My dies are marked "series 1 full length", they also say "Custom-grade new Dimension Dies". I got this set because it was the recommended crimping die for AR's.
I trimmed a few of the no-go's and sized again, the length was fine but they still stand proud of the gauge enough to see some light under the straight edge. It doesn't seem to matter where I set the die for those but the full depth setting pushes the shoulder to far on most cases, do you adjust a full length die for each type of brass?
Even within brands I'm getting different fits in the gauge, maybe I'll grab another brand die when I get the gauge, my lube is old RCBS stuff from the 80's but it seemed fine and hasn't caused any dents...... I haven't saved any money yet, hope I have something to shoot by summer :pray:
Do you pitch the cases that go to deep in the gauge? I hate to waste brass but don't want to risk hurting my pride and joy!
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 month ago #18114

I hate to throw brass away unless it is unsafe or cracked or dinged up. I try the small base die first. If that doesn't work I may toss them if I don't have a lot. A few sacrifices are worth the reliability, accuracy and safety of trying to "make" them work. I just bought 250 cleaned and deprimed mil cases. Of the 250 I threw away 7. I think that is about average, for me anyway. I have found weighing the cases is a good idea too. I found a "wee small stone" in one once that didn't come out in the cleaning (I have a sonic cleaner). I think it would have come out in the resizing but it might have messed up my die too. Just a thought anyway. I also found some brass wound up in the bottom of a new piece of brass once that I wouldn't have resized.

I think it is later in the day here lebbenB. I already had my coffee ;) . What do you use to throw charges? I am using a digital scale that I check every 5 rounds or so. I had some guys tell me they don't use a scale except to set it up then they use a volume thrower. That's always been a question in my mind. Is going by weight or volume better?
11 years 1 month ago #18115

Is there any particular die or maker with a good reputation for AR's? I noticed some makers are marketing sets for AR's but I also know how company's love to take the same product, put a different label on it and charge more.
If a small base die takes any more pressure than the full length I'll have to look for a longer press handle!
I've got nearly a five gallon bucket of Radway and FN military brass but I broke the "special" decapper on the first one. It is guaranteed for life but that doesn't do me any good if it doesn't remove the primer, hope the free one works better. Then I have to figure out the primer pocket swager........ I keep telling myself this will be relaxing once I work through the bugs........I would have already packed things up again if it were not for this forum, Thanks guys! :twothumbs: :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 month ago #18116

I've had good luck with Lee's stuff. If you are going to start loading for accuracy you may want to get into some higher end seating dies but you can get pretty accurate with what it sounds like you have. I know some companies that list dies for AR's but if you are loading for SAAMI specs I don't see where it would matter if they are for an AR or bolt rifle. Just my :twocents:
11 years 1 month ago #18117

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Case Headspace Gauge Use?

I don't reload anymore, but when I did I just had the balance counterweight scale. I checked the first ten I did, then every fifth one after for fifty cases, and every 10 th one after that. By that time my stroke to throw the charge was very consistent. Never had any problem, but always err on the side of caution. If I had been loading anywhere near max, I would have checked every charge. While I am on here, I am looking for a good powder to load 5.56 with the xm855 62 gr bullet. I am not looking to match the mil spec performance, just to give a consistent round for my AR15. Anybody have any advice?
11 years 1 month ago #18122

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!