Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Case Headspace Gauge Use?

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Case Headspace Gauge Use?

I use a scale and check my charge every 5 rounds as well(I'm totally paranoid about charge weight.) I go by weight in grains since that's what my load data is expressed in.
There's a lot of good powders out there. From Hodgdon there's H335, H4895, and Varget. Winchester makes W748. IMR has 4895, 4064 and XBR8208. Alliant makes AR-Comp and Reloader 15. The best thing about these powders is they can be used for both .223 AND .308.

Others have had good luck with VitaVuori powders, but I've never used any of their products.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siscowet
11 years 1 month ago #18231

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Case Headspace Gauge Use?

I am picking reloader 15 more because I found a reloading store that has a good stock of it. I am thinking along the lines of starting with a 24.5 grain charge, maybe even a 24 gr. if point of impact is off from my milspec xm855 I am not too worried, once I get the differential in my notebook I can adjust. Any thoughts?
11 years 1 month ago #18236

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Case Headspace Gauge Use?

Rule of thumb for load development is to take the given charge weight and subtract 10% to get the starting load. Then add .05-.10 grain until you find the sweet spot for your rifle/handgun. If you're just making plinking ammo, obviously you don't have to be as persnickety as long as the rounds aren't showing any over-pressure signs.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siscowet
11 years 1 month ago #18240

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Case Headspace Gauge Use?

Suggested loads I have seen up to 26.2 also another for 25. I think I will start out at 23gr.
11 years 1 month ago #18242

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!