Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

SMK 168 gr/ RE-15 data.

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by 10before15 on topic SMK 168 gr/ RE-15 data.

I've always got a few dozen round for you Sharkey. Just let me know.
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by 10before15.
11 years 2 weeks ago #20687

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic SMK 168 gr/ RE-15 data.

Thank you Sir. I KNEW I could count on you. Can you have a 1000 made up with little smileys on em by Sunday? I'm having a party.... :laugh:
11 years 2 weeks ago #20699

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic SMK 168 gr/ RE-15 data.

I still have my notebook from sniper school, and I have a note from one of the classrooms that M118LR is charged with 42.5 grains of RL-15 behind the 175 gn. SMK. when RL-15 is used. I do not, unfortunately, have any data for the 168 gn SMK. What I do have, however, are 10 rounds of Lake City brass loaded with 41.6 grains of RL-15 behind 168 gn Hornaday Match bullets sitting on my bench awaiting the next trip to the range. (sorry, I do not have nor cannot find any Sierra MKs right now...it's the best I can do.) If you'd like, I'll be more than happy to provide a detailed range report after I go shoot them...but it'll be a week or two before I get the chance to do so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 11 months ago #23794

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic SMK 168 gr/ RE-15 data.

Thanks that would help. That is a good tip on M118 LR data, if and when my 175 SMK's get here. I got 85 Lake City brass I am going to be loading up with the 168's SMK's shortly.
10 years 11 months ago #23800

Sisco-
Just an update-I am finally headed to the range tomorrow. I'm taking the aformentioned rounds in tow to check out. I also loaded some of the same to 43.3 grains as I have gotten conflicted information that suggests that this is actually the load data for M-118LR...hmmm.
To compond this problem, I am short of a chronograph. I had one at one time but I cannot for the life of me find it. What I do have, are sevearl rounds of real M118LR straight from Lake City with which to compare my reloads to-which is probably better in the long run than a chrono anyhow since I will be firing from an 18 inch custom 3 groove Lilja barrel instead of a 24 inch 5R barrel that any load data came from in the first place.
Anyhow, I have not forgotten about this. I'll post my results tomorrow, but I will be buying a new chrono soon and I will post the goods when I get that.
10 years 10 months ago #24499

O.K... I did indeed get to the range, and I have some good info for you.

I spent a good portion of last night and also the drive out to the range contemplating how silly it is to try and develop load data without a chronograph. So the first thing I did when I got there is go into the pro shop and see if they had any...turns out they had one-the RCBS rig that looks like a big bullet. Personally, I think it looks just about as gay as a chronograph could possibly look, but it's what they had and I needed it-so I now own one big gay RCBS chronograph-contemplating painting it pink just to turn heads at the range...more on that project later.

Anyhow, after buying my chronograph and then driving five miles to and from the closest gas station to buy a battery-why the range shop doesn't sell batteries is beyond me-I plugged it up, spent about 20 minutes cursing and trying to get it in line with my bore/target, and got to work. I am proud to say first off-I have not shot my chronograph-yet.

So you know, the rifle used to gather this info has a 3 groove 18 inch Lilja barrel with a twist rate of 1 in 11. As per my case mic, I have a chamber that is approx. 6 thousanths of an inch over minimum spec, so I size my cases at 4 thousanths over minimum.

To start off, I shot and chronographed five rounds of real M1118 LR from Lake City to get a reference point on this rifle. Average velocity of those rounds was about 2560 with a group of just at .5 MOA.

I then shot several loads that I had worked up to copy M118LR, and the best I found was 175 grain berger match on top of 42.5 grains of RE-15 in Lake City brass with CCI large rifle primers, cases trimmed to 2.005 and bullets seated for an overal cartridge length of 2.80. These rounds had an average muzzle velocity of just at 2500 fps. You could probably bump that up a few tenths of a grain to hit 2500/2560, but I got grouping that was actually better than the M118LR at just a hair over .4 MOA so I am going to call that one sexy and leave it at that.

I also loaded some 175 gn, Bergers in the same configuration of case/primers and loaded them with RE-15 at 43.1 grains and 43.3 grains-neither of those rounds did anything immpressive downrange with both printing groups around 2 MOA. Velocities for both loads averaged out to around 2545/2555.

I also had some luck with the 168 grain loads. I put some 168 grain Hornaday match bullets over 43.3 grains of RE-15 in lake city brass-case length and primers the same as the other loads-and seated the bullets to 2.732 overal cart. length.This load had an average velocity of 2540 with very little spread. The lowest was 2538, the highest was 2544. I got it into a group of roughly .75 MOA, but I did pull one shot due to the fact that the guy next to me was shooting a freaking cannon with a nasty muzzle break on it and he just happened to break his shot just a milisecond before I broke mine and I got pushed by a tidal wave of muzzle blast. That is a promising load, and I plan on tweaking that one up a little bit and seeing if I can get it to print just a hair smaller. I feel comfortable recommending this one to you for a start point, as well as that first load I mentioned for your 175s when you get them.

Hope that helps you bud!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Siscowet, Lizardette
10 years 10 months ago #24589

Tx I can't thank you enough for sharing that! It helps a huge amount. With my sons first college tuition coming up, I am gonna have to put off the chronograph myself for a bit. And my 175 SMK's showed up this week. That is really good data you shared, and it sounds like you have yourself a better than original M118LR clone! I am gonna take your advice and use that as a start. Thank you again, and good luck with that chrono. Pink eh? :thumbs:
10 years 10 months ago #24591

Who says there is no Santa Claus?

10 years 10 months ago #24683

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

WHERE on EARTH did you find these?! I have been looking everywhere!
10 years 10 months ago #25103

Tx, sent you a PM with info.
10 years 10 months ago #25111

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!