Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

SMK 168 gr/ RE-15 data.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic SMK 168 gr/ RE-15 data.

Spent the morning putting the finishing touches on reloading 100 rounds of .308. I used 42 grains of RE15 as a start for working up loads for both my AR10T carbine,and My AR10A4 standard rifle. 50 are loaded with 175 SMK's BTHP and 50 with 168gr SMK's BTHP. All used Lake City brass, with Winchester large rifle primers. COAL 2.80 My intent is to see if there is any difference in bullet weight preference between the two rifles, and then to work up individual loads with that preferred bullet for each one.
I will be investing in or borrowing a chronograph to keep track of MV's during my load workups. And intend to start on some range time as quickly as my back will let me, which could be quite a while. I am interested to see what role barrel length and twist rate have in selecting out for a preferred load for each one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623, NightForce
9 years 10 months ago #39995

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic SMK 168 gr/ RE-15 data.

Nice report and I'll be checking in to see the results and hear your comments.

I'm particularly interested in the muzzle velocity and the standard deviation readout from the chronograph...
9 years 10 months ago #39999

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic SMK 168 gr/ RE-15 data.

Nice report Sisco I just had a friend lend me his chrono I have it in hand and am going to the range either tues or wed night, to get some readings for the factory 168gr win. silver tips and the new 120 gr win ammo.
9 years 10 months ago #40028

Just bit the bullet so to speak and ordered one on Amazon. Now I will have to do a report on the chronograph as well!
9 years 10 months ago #40030

A good reloadingdiscussion for the AR10
9 years 4 months ago #43235

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by 30CalFun on topic SMK 168 gr/ RE-15 data.

I have been using Re15 for several years and have been happy with the results. In my AR-10, I use 42.5 with 175 gr. and 42.5 or 43.0 with 168 gr. SMK bullets with similar results. These loads have worked with both military and Lapua brass also. I also us Re 15 in my 30-06 for hunting loads. I recently found several pounds, and bought it all.
9 years 4 months ago #43275

I scored a 5 pound canister recently, it was like Christmas in October! If there is much difference between that and Varget, someone with more powder knowledge than me would need to explain it.
9 years 4 months ago #43278

Sisco, good score on the 5 lbs. I have not shot Varget in my AR10 but I hear great things about it. I have shot it in another rifle PO (pre Obama) and would have stuck with it but then supply got short, I got the AR10 and I discovered Re15. I would try it if I could find a reliable source, but since supply is hit or miss I will stick with Re15. Like I mentioned, it shoots really well in my 30-06 and I can also use it in other rifles I have.
9 years 4 months ago #43279

Have not tried it in my 30-06's as I still have a bunch of reloads whipped up with IMR4770 from the old days, and with bolt guns, especially light hunting ones, you just don't go through that many rounds on the bench, unless you have shoulders like a mountain gorilla and a high pain threshold. But I use it for all my 5.56/223 loading as well.
9 years 4 months ago #43280

I agree, shooting light weight bolt guns is not much fun. I was thinking about turning my 06 into a 24 or 26 inch medium bbl. weight 1000 yd. gun that I could hunt with. That sounds good in theory but when I am hiking all over elk hunting I really appreciate the light 22 inch bbl. so who knows if I will ever get around to it.
9 years 4 months ago #43291

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!