Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Best economical press.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Best economical press.

Actually the reloader 15 was $4 less than the closest reloading supply store was charging. $24. Bullets were ok also, $54 although they are nothing special, 55 gr Soft Points.
Most of what I saw there was surprisingly not over priced. A lot of people walking around with AR15's or AK's for sale. Only one AR10, and it looked well used with the standard collapsible stock- which I don't like, for $1,500.
A lot of off brand AR15's that I had never heard of. One nice RRA LAR15. The 1911's I saw were all priced fair, all the AK's were way overpriced, $1000 to $1,400. 5.56 and 308 loaded rounds were ridiculous. Turkish 7.62 surplus $1.25 a round, 5.56 reloads $.80 per round. I am glad I wasn't in the market.
11 years 3 days ago #22572

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Moreau on topic Best economical press.

Let me know how that kit works. I think my next purchase is going to be a reloading kit. When reloading what is the average price for .308? .45 ACP? .223? Trying to figure out how much I'll be saving in order to justify my purchase.

I've heard that my Colt AR-15 SP1 will not fire 5.56mm NATO, is there any truth to this? I know there's some pressure differences. I've always used .223 in the rifle, I figured it was better to be safe than dead.
11 years 3 days ago #22580

Does your barrel say 223 or 5.56? If it says 5.56, you can use it.
11 years 3 days ago #22591

.223 :dry:

Have you tried out the kit yet?
11 years 2 days ago #22637

Hasn't come yet
11 years 2 days ago #22640

Got my Lee kit yesterday via Amazon/ AR10.com link. I am impressed with how complete it is. The only things needed extra are individual cartridge rods for the Lee shell trimmer, and Individual cartridge dies/shell holders. Price for kit and econo mini tumbler, $200.54 with free shipping. Will set up and give a full report in next couple weeks.

10 years 11 months ago #22888

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Did some resizing on 5.56 today, the new press is ok. Not as nice as my old Pacific, but the cases looked pretty good. So far the micrometer indicates no trimming needed. You get what you pay for, and eventually I will get a progressive, but this will get me through a summer of shooting, and that is all I can ask right now. Moreau, I might stretch your dollars if I were you and get that RCBS Rock Chucker LebbenB and Colt recommends. Long run you would probably be happier with it.
10 years 11 months ago #23044

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Best economical press.

I've got an O type RCBS press that I bought in about 1979. Used it a bunch then til '83, my Dad used it for 10 years after that, I just put it back to work and it is as tight as anything I've seen at a store or show. It was the grade below the RockChucker if I remember right.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 11 months ago #23047

:laugh:
Put this under unexpected pleasant surprise: I was in my garage going through some old boxes now that the weather has turned, and I opened one up and lo and behold, 500 once fired 5.56 brass cases were in there. It is all filipino brass from a thousand rounds of ammo I bought back in 1981 for my then AR180. It is good looking brass from ammo that was marketed under the brand, "Squires Bingham" With uncleaned once fired brass going for $90 per 500, I can't complain. Makes me wonder what I will find next.
10 years 11 months ago #23215

With the price of the RCBS Rock Chucker kit so high would it be better to just get the RCBS progressive 2000? How much would all of the accessories cost? What would it cost to get the progressive running vs the Rock Chucker?

Thanks,
Joe
10 years 11 months ago #23222

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!