Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Best economical press.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Best economical press.

This is gonna be a long message. First, Progressives are fine, but I would recommend a single stage to start just to train yourself in the proper procedures. If you have never reloaded before, it is easy to make mistakes. You have a lot going on. Old case preparation, decapping, cleaning, reaming out the primer pocket if old military brass. Then sizing, case trimming if needed, which is tough to do in a progressive. Priming, powder dispensing, which needs to be accurate, bullet seating, possibly crimping, etc. I personally think it would be better to learn the process on a single stage, and move up to a progressive when you feel competent in everything, but that is just my opinion.
As far as the Lee Challenger, so far the thing I like the least about it is the primer feed arm system is really Mickey Mouse, and didn't work for me. I had a primer stuck half way in that wouldn't seat. I ended up going over to a friends house to get it seated all the way so I could get it out of the shell holder, which the primer blocked from removing. After that I decided to buy a hand priming tool, which I always liked better anyway. Other than that it works ok, but it definitely isn't as heavy duty as a rock chucker. In retrospect I should have taken Leb's advice. My next move now will be to a progressive.
10 years 11 months ago #23223

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!