Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

shooting other peoples' reloads

• Thank you received: 67

shooting other peoples' reloads was created by foxhunter

More than once in the past I had been told to be very careful shooting other people's reloads. But when my brother said he found a 2 1/2 gallon bucket of reloaded 38 specials in a home he bought, and asked if I wanted them, I said sure. Then I started going through the reloads. They were nearly all 38 special, with a few 40cal and 9mm and 357 thrown in. As I went through the loads, it became obvious whoever loaded them was very sloppy if not intoxicated during the reloads. I set aside many rounds where the primer was put in upside down or even sideways or was missing. The bullet seating was all over the place. There was no way to tell whether they had been reloaded last year or 40 yrs ago.
Even after carefully selecting what appeared to be safe, I fired 50 rounds out of a 38 special and 4 of the bullets never made it out of the 3 inch barrel.
After beating the stuck bullets out , I decided my gun didn't deserve that abuse(and I didn't need to be risking my life), so I took all the rounds to my work room and started removing bullets. The amount of powder in them was all over the place. I even found one bullet that had corncob tumbling media in it instead of powder. I am now in the process of removing all the bullets, cleaning the brass, repriming and reloading. At least I have a couple thousand rounds of brass, and I can reuse the bullets if I want.
I had just never seen or experienced anything that approached what this unknown person did with a reloader in my life.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by mlotziii.
10 years 7 months ago #29328

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic shooting other peoples' reloads

I have one rule about shooting other people's reloads: I don't. That way if something happns, I only have myself to blame. I know some guys who are meticulus and reload 308, I just can't bring myself to do it. The only time I broke this rule is I had my LGSO load up some 5.56 to my specs last spring. They did work great. So maybe I starting to be more trusting of some peoples reloads.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Siscowet.
10 years 7 months ago #29329

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic shooting other peoples' reloads

wow, talk about amateur hour :(
10 years 7 months ago #29330

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic shooting other peoples' reloads

Just say NO!!!!!

UNLESS you know the reloader BETTER than you know yourself then take a pass. His mistake can mean a stuck bullet in a bbl, exploded cyl or worse...
10 years 7 months ago #29343

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic shooting other peoples' reloads

OUCH !!!! the guy probably left them there because He/she had no more pistol left to shoot um through. :rotfl:

I have shot other peoples reloads, in an old Stevens 30-30 bolt action and clip fed.
He loaded Me up some very nice loads with point tip boolits, I never ever thought a 30-30 could shoot that good, fast and flat but not over done on the recoil. very nice loads.

The second person I trusted to reload, was an "Old Timer", I was shooting an old winchester model 70 bolt action .308.
He loaded Me up some 125 grain booolits and I am not sure about the powder, He probably had it wrote down on the box.
Those were some fantastic loads, for long range and very accurate. I could not believe the difference between His loads and the factory loads I had been shooting.

The third person I trusted to reload was for My 45 ACP, Colt Combat Commander. I think His loads was what blew up that fine old pistol.
I am new to reloading, there is a lot that I do not know, nor am I sure about. I ask questions, I even go up the Yellowstone hill and visit the folks at the RamShot powder company. Very good folks to deal with, and are willing to take the time and even show Me by loading a few rounds for Me, and allowing Me to do the loading too.
Here is the powder that I have decided to use, I think it is a very good powder, with the Mil. Spec. rifles in mind.
www.ramshot.com/products/rifle/?view=4&product=TAC

I just signed up to recieve their "NEW" "RELOAD DATA" catalog too. at the bottom of the links page.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by MrMarty51.
10 years 7 months ago #29351

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic shooting other peoples' reloads

I will shoot my Fathers reloads, other than that I'm out!
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 7 months ago #29365

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic shooting other peoples' reloads

I have reloaded for a couple other people. They wanted to work up some hunting and accuracy loads for their rifles.

The first time I had someone else fire my reloads I was a little bit nervous. Kind of like the first time you fire your own reloads only worse.

I am VERY anal about the way I load. Double and even triple check sometimes. I've never had issues and I have fired some from people that I know.
10 years 2 months ago #35179

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic shooting other peoples' reloads

A good way to be. The only reloads I shoot are my own, or done by a professional I know to my specs. Only did that once and it has worked out ok.
10 years 2 months ago #35180

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic shooting other peoples' reloads

I shoot my reloads all the time. Other people's...Not so much. I have to be very sure that their work ethic is the same as mine. I'm very meticulous in my reloads, like VTIT I triple check even plinking ammo. I have done work for others, but it was for folks that I know very well and who've seen me shoot my hand loads out of my guns.
RLTW
10 years 1 month ago #35270

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic shooting other peoples' reloads

I've seen some reloads at a couple gun shows recently. There is a company near me that does a lot of reloading. I looked at their stuff and even bought some to see how accurately they were reloading, measuring, seating etc. It was pretty accurately done for mass reloading but nothing to brag about. I guess if I was trying to load 1000 rds/day I could accept that but I load for accuracy and as a hobby. I could see a market for this if you could afford the insurance.
10 years 1 month ago #35274

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!