Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Long Range reloads

• Thank you received: 216

Long Range reloads was created by Libertarian623

I am working on some long range reloads and starting this thread to document the findings. On Sunday I will be doing two ladder tests , the first will be a 185gr VLD and the second is a 180gr Win BST. We basically will have the entire indoor shop devoted to this end. I hope to come away with a round that will push the 308 AR10 to its absolute maximum range. The magazines have the ability to load a 2.82" round. So I don't think case dimensions are going to be a problem. It will be a question of finding the most accurate node for these rounds while keeping pressure under control. All the component's will be kept at 75 degrees Fahrenheit as this will be my summer competition round. I have some high hopes for this project and will update on Monday. If you have some thoughts that you think may help please feel free to post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Libertarian623.
9 years 2 months ago #44163

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Long Range reloads

As the goal I assume will be to extend by any means possible the distance that the 308 round remains transonic, and thus be working towards maximum working pressures, I wouldn't rely on formulas for working pressures. I am no expert, but I would be fining methods to cross check what the working pressures are in your individual weapon, as there is a lot of variability between individual rifles and chambers. Good luck I am interested in this thread. I would definitely try some of the new Sierra TMK's.
9 years 2 months ago #44169

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Long Range reloads

Arrived to the shop at 11 am, talked with the owner about what I wanted to do. Well while we have a lot of good knowledgeable firearms experts in Michigan this gentleman specializes in the practical application of said knowledge. After getting to the shop, he started to set up equipment for the days activities. Let me say when you arrive the first thing that strikes you is that the this facility resembles a laboratory at Dow chemical more than anything. It was purpose built to the task, everything is set up to RD ammo for your rifle of choice. We did all the shooting out the window, while the spotter is set up in another window. Everything is layed out on the counters , scales , presses etc. That way you can alter any facet of the ammo while your shooting. Making adjustments and then trying them , takes only a couple of minutes.
9 years 2 months ago #44173

after discussing more details about my intentions he suggested that we start small with a Berger 175gr BT Long Range Target bullet, he said he had used this bullet in other gase guns with great success. Well we prepped about twenty rounds of brass, and set about the first tests , he said he would make a good guess of a starting point and we would work towards finding the accurate node at the lower end of the load. He handed me the first three rounds , we cycled them through the action. They fed fine. So I reloaded the mag, and fired the first three shot string at 100m , scope was on 10x. So I didn't see the impacts. When I was done , he looked and me and said good job looks like its going to be a short day. I asked how it had done, good he said. I peeked through the spotting scope to find a single elongated hole. High 5. I said you got to be kinding me, over the next hour of so, we moved up and down in charge a little, but somehow we had started right on top of the node. I shot two of four group in less than .25MOA. He said he wanted to confirm it himself and the next group he fired was the best group of the day. The result was little more than a single hole.
9 years 2 months ago #44174

In all the strings fired the deviation was always less than 20, and on two strings it was single digits deviation. At the end of the first session , I know have what is the most accurate load I have ever fired from this rifle, all in about 3 hours total time. I guess you get what you pay for at this shop.Load to follow,
9 years 2 months ago #44175

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Long Range reloads

Sounds like ZFK55's set up, wish I were there :thumbs:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 2 months ago #44176

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Long Range reloads

Wow! I had never heard of a business like that before. That is slick. What powder did he use?
9 years 2 months ago #44177

Sorry I had to step out for a bit. Anyways the load was, Winchester brass, Varget 42.5 gr, Berger 175gr Match Long Range Boat Tail Target, BC .515, CCI primer, we where right around 2660FPS give or take 5 FPS it was pretty amazing watching how tight he could get the SD. The length was 2.82 and these cycled without any problems. He was using Redding dyes. I was surprised to say the least, he said its all luck. I said that was BS. He has probably hand loaded tens of thousands rounds. He said that by next week I would have 50 rounds to test and confirm before we go with a limited production run (to be confirmed again) and then a full production run of 1k. Which he said would take a week or two. I don't want to say much more about his shop, but lets just say it was real impressive ( I have never seen one like it)I guess the Army marksmanship unit probably has something similar. He also has a CNC and Lathe and coating abilities set up in another section of the building. No expense was spared and no corners where cut. If you want to speak with him I will pass along your info.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, 10before15
9 years 2 months ago #44178

Almost forgot this load should stay supersonic past 1200, and stable to 1400. Also there where no signs of pressure, also no timing issues. Brass was ejecting just back of perpendicular. I am trying figure a way to pad the little brass deflecting bump that always seems to ding the brass on ejection. I can't weight to get the first batch and post some pics of what it is capable of printing. Or some 1200m video. With that low BC wind is going to be much more workable.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Libertarian623.
9 years 2 months ago #44179

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by bipe215 on topic Long Range reloads

Sounds like an interesting place. Were you shooting from a sled or a rest?
9 years 1 month ago #44199

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!