Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Long Range reloads

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Long Range reloads

Bipe- Just a notched bag in front and a rear bag. It was a ladder test, and I think he was interested in knowing what I was capable of. He did offer a lead sled but I declined. He did say it was uncommon for someone to one hole there first group in his shop. I told him it was uncommon to have that kind of quality reloads on the first attempt. I have a huge amount of respect for his work. I will post some video when the test batch comes back, I am chumping at the bit to get at it . But there is just no way I am calling him to check and see if it is done. he said a week and I will give him a month. I find there is no quicker way to destroy a good vender relationship than to pester them.
9 years 2 months ago #44201

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by bipe215 on topic Long Range reloads

That is impressive!
9 years 2 months ago #44202

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by 1911a1 punisher on topic Long Range reloads

Great info. It is so useful when people share their load info and results. I've save alot of time and $ looking at what has worked, and failed for fellow shooters. I use the 175 Match Kings in LC brass with 42 grains of IMR 4895. I am able to hit consistently at 1200 with this load.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, jtallen83
9 years 2 months ago #44206

1911- what kind of groups where you holding at 1200 or what size plate and hit percentage. And was it stable after that. Also just curious what primer where you using. Thanks for sharing.
9 years 2 months ago #44208

Just got the first 50 rounds yesterday. Had a structure fire yesterday and today in 20 below. I don't think I will be getting to the range anytime soon. But they are ready and waiting.
9 years 2 months ago #44243

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by silverman1 on topic Long Range reloads

I went to WY prarie dog hunting last spring, and used my AR 10 (LR308)
It surprised me how 168 grain match bullets from 3 different brands had so drastic differences in them.
It was to windy to get a ''perfect'' performance test, but in my rifle the sierra and hornady ,in the morning while it was cool out, watching the vapor trail ,would fly straight with nothing but wind drift, and drop plainly visable .
When I used Nosler bullets , they would fly straight out to 6 to 700 yards, and would all at once zip off to the left , right into the wind up, or down , just totally out of control.
A friend with a custom bolt gun , my noslers tracked dead on in it.
I guess what I am saying is if you are not getting what you feel is the best accuracy out of your load, keep experimenting.
In Ohio, most ranges are 200 yds or less, and my experimental lab was my trip to WY, so I tool 5 separate loads out to try, but I had 800 rds of my favorite loads with me.
I tried 100 of the 125 gr varmint loads,and worked great out to 100 yds. but after that the wind whipped them around like a piece of paper.
Good luck in developing your load, sounds like you have some good help.
9 years 1 month ago #44252

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by 1911a1 punisher on topic Long Range reloads

Shooting at an 18" plate. I hit 8-9 times out of 10 at 1200 AFTER I figure the wind out. As far as groups at that distance, I would be lying if I told you a measurement. I am no match shooter. I am a hunter and shoot to get rounds on target. I am using standard Winchester Large Rifle primers. I have never tried hitting further out than 1200. My scope is out of adjustment and I am holding over at that distance. By the ballistics charts, it should go sub-sonic shortly after 1200. This is definitely not the most accurate load I have tried, but this load shoots good in every 308 I own. The convenience of having only one load, coupled with my laziness, has prevented me from reaching any further.
9 years 1 month ago #44261

1911 that's awesome shooting. I am hopeful that my round will stay stable through the trans sonic range. Would be fun to try some really long shots with it. I have the perfect location with a unlimited range. Its great for getting dope fast on different rounds. Thats where I will see what happens to this round in the spring
9 years 1 month ago #44262

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Long Range reloads

UOnce you get a round that s accurate and reliable, it makes a lot of sense to get to know it like the back of your hand. That is my philosoph as well.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Siscowet.
9 years 1 month ago #44264

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Long Range reloads

Lib, It's been over a year since you promised and update. Have you made it back to the range yet and ready to give us an update on your reloads?
7 years 11 months ago #47538

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!