Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

NVS Problems

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Re: NVS Problems

Jeff, thanks for the tip. I contacted Jager Pro and discussed NVS a little. They helped me decide along with about 3-4 days of extensive internet research.

Fox, I took the plunge and ordered a scope like yours, but a Gen3. Should be here in a few days.

Thanks again, Jer
12 years 1 month ago #10897

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: NVS Problems

I checked out the ATN PS22 coupler. It goes on the rail in front of the scope, and looks like a workable solution, but without some positive feedback I'm not gonna pull the trigger.

www.atncorp.com/nightvision-daynight-atnps22-2

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Charlie.
12 years 1 month ago #10898

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re: NVS Problems

Jer, you won't regret it. Since it holds its zero so well, My wife and I often remove it from the rifle and use it as a monocular on camping trips or just night walks around the farm for watching all the animal activity at night.
12 years 1 month ago #10900

Here's a good comparison of Gen 1 through Gen 3 Pinnacle tubes I found on Sniper's Hide.

www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php...=2945586#Post2945586
12 years 1 month ago #10906

Interesting! The Litton and ITT PVS-14 Gen 3 units appear to be usable.

The writeup concentrates on observation and doesn't address the effect of weapon recoil on the scope. Obviously this is a major concern.

I wonder why he didn't test any FLIR equipment. It seems to be the best pup in the litter (and the most expensive!).

Charlie
12 years 1 month ago #10907

Charlie,

Here's a link that descibes all the different NVSs, and their capabilities including recoil resistance. My impression from researching these various scopes is the PVS-14 was really designed as a monocular and then adapted for use on a rifle. Somewhere in all these threads I read the the PVS-14 and ATN PS-22 can only take the recoil of a .223 and not the larger calibers like a .308. The ITT PVS-22 and PVS-24 (which are similar to the PVS-14) were designed as a rifle scope and can take the recoil of up to a .50 BMG if my memory is correct. I also read that the dedicated NVS scopes (eg. D-740-3AGM) were stronger and were better designed to take large recoil than these NVS that attach to a regular scope.

Also I read that the ITT Pinnacle tubes were stronger than the L-3 (Litton) Gen 3 tubes due to their better designed thin film. They said be careful and make sure your scope has an official ITT Pinnacle stamp as there are a lot of copy-cats that are sub-standard. They said the other manufacturers you just don't want to mess with if you want a true Gen 3 thin film scope. Less than a Gen 3 these other manufactueres may be OK.

Lots of good reading on this thread. www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php...list&Board=37&page=1

Jer
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by JustMe.
12 years 1 month ago #10909

Charlie,

Check out the ATN Thor scope on Snipers Hide. It looks like it may be the first economical thermal scope (about $5K) instead of the normal $14K thermal imager. You may want to wait until it is available which sounds like it will be very soon. The beauty of a thermal imager over a light intensifier is the thermal's ability to see things in the brush and shadows better and over much longer distances.

Sort of wish I had waited for this ATN Thor scope, but I am ansy to get something into the field. Hopefully, I won't regret my choice of purchasing a 740.

Jer
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by JustMe.
12 years 1 month ago #10941

There's some really great info at that link. I'm still trying to absorb it!

Thanks!

Charlie
12 years 1 month ago #10942

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: NVS Problems

Thermal has the benefit of being useful 24hrs. They are not a night only device like night vision. Under the right circumstances a good thermal device can reveal things that would be otherwise missed, day or night. The downside to thermal, aside from the price tag, is that the resolution can cause difficulty in identifying a target. For example, a hummer looked like nothing more than a white/black square through a PAS-13 at 600m. The refresh rate was also an issue. Pan & scan had to be done fairly slowly and anything crossing the field of view quickly could be difficult to distinguish. I hear that has gotten much much better since I used them, and the PAS-13 is about 1/3rd the size & weight it was back then.
They still can't see through a clear window, unless it is open, someone visible to the naked eye behind a window won't be seen on thermal.
Also, (I'm not 100% if it is still the case) magnification for thermal was digital zoom, not optical, meaning that the more you zoomed the crappier the image got & field of view suffered as badly.
I'm going to let someone else be the test subject on the atn thor. The videos I have seen are of objects & people at less than 100m and moving slowly. Some of it appears to have been enhanced or piped through a computer monitor, and the refresh rate appears to be jerky.
Not to mention that is likely from the 640 resolution which is 11K, not the 5,500.00 320 model that I have been undressing with my eyes since I heard about it.
I'd really like to be wrong though, I'd love to have good thermal.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 1 month ago #10945

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: NVS Problems

Damn, quick reply mess the formatting all up. I hope that post is somewhat readable.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 1 month ago #10947

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!