Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Nikon M-308 Soundoff

• Thank you received: 132

Nikon M-308 Soundoff was created by mlotziii

Looking at this riflescope on various websites I've been intrigued by what appears to be a great riflescope for the AR-10. We're not talking about a Nightforce here but we are talking about something that is economical and looks like it would be a well rounded optic.

Anyone have a Nikon M-308 that can weigh in with their experience?

10 years 3 months ago #33117

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Nikon M-308 Soundoff

That is a very attractive optic in the $500ish price range.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 3 months ago #33118

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Nikon M-308 Soundoff

Liberatarian has one I believe, and I have a similar one without the BDC and I really like it.
10 years 3 months ago #33119

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Nikon M-308 Soundoff

Sisco is correct I have one mounted on my LAR-8 26" varmint. I feel that it is a great scope that should be on the battle field. I have shot about 800 rounds with mine, and have not had any problems. It takes awhile to get everything synced up so to speak, but once your dialed in on the round you can engage targets from zero to 800m. As your spotter calls them out without every pulling your cheek away from the scope. Anything inside of 100m and I switch to offset iron sights. In competition last summer I has some of the fastest times posted in the competition due to the scopes BDC feature. Never had any problems with a return to Zero. About the only thing I would add is some come up marks on the elevation turret, I added my own with a micro file. Fire away with questions. Also keep in mind that you can use the Nikon Spot On program online to help get you close on the BDC Values.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
10 years 3 months ago #33121

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Coner on topic Nikon M-308 Soundoff

I have a Nikon Prostaff scope on another rifle and love it. Really pleased with the 'bang for your buck' with the Nikon equipment
10 years 3 months ago #33770

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Turbo V6 Camaro on topic Nikon M-308 Soundoff

i have it and like it a lot

i also have nikon camera gear and the scopes are really bang for your buck!!!
10 years 3 months ago #33810

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by MsgtBill on topic Nikon M-308 Soundoff

Evening. I also have a new M-308 scope mounted on a new Ruger SR-762. I am having problems bore sighting the scope. In order to get the reticle on the laser dot at about 100 feet I had to max out the windage to the left, not a very ideal situation. I have remounted the scope several times with no luck. I am going to check out the top rail system to see if there is a problem (though it may be very difficult to tell if there is a problem). My last hope is to add shims to the scope base to try to bring it to the left a little to the left. IF that does not work the scope will go back to Cabela's. I will let you know the outcome, wish me luck, maybe over 50 years as a mechanic and electronic tech will help ? Hey, you all have a very good night !
10 years 1 month ago #35784

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Nikon M-308 Soundoff

Are you confident in the borescope? I have a Bushnell brand that has an 18 inch difference at 30 foot when I turn it. Made it very challenging to use.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 1 month ago #35791

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Nikon M-308 Soundoff

If you are having to max out windage then I would take a look at your mounting system.

The Nikon 4x16 308 scope is a really good scope according to my buddy who loves his. Its rugged and if you work in the world beyond 200 yds its a game getter...
10 years 1 month ago #35795

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Nikon M-308 Soundoff

I used to use Leupold scopes on most of my rifles. The clarity, magnification, and repeatability were the best in the business and their prices were "pretty reasonable".

Lately though, Leupold prices have skyrocketed to ridiculous heights. I started looking at the Nikon line of scopes particularly the M series and have been more than impressed. Nikon has some of the best glass and optics on their cameras and binoculars. Nikon also makes microscopes and other precision optics so I said why not!

I have 3 of Nikon M-223 and 1 P-223 and I'm absolutely thrilled with their performance and all for less than $400, although I did a bit of online shopping. Initially the Nikon M-308 was the natural choice for the AR-10 build now under way but it's a bit larger for this rifles intended purpose. If I do decide I need a higher magnification scope, the M-308 will be my choice.... :usa:
10 years 1 week ago #36575

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!