Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

variable vs zoom lens scopes

• Thank you received: 67

variable vs zoom lens scopes was created by foxhunter

Here is a quote from a Chuck Hawke's article on scopes
"Extended Zoom Range

Marketing departments are always looking for new features to hype sales and increase profits by raising prices. This is what accounts for oversize objective lenses, touted for use in dim light, even though--as we have seen--smaller diameter objectives provide more light than a fully dark adapted human eye can accept. In the same (impractical) category are extended zoom range scopes. If you don't need more field of view than is provided by a 2.5x scope or more magnification than 8x, what is the point of a wider zoom range? All such scopes achieve is to lighten your wallet, while placing more weight and bulk atop your rifle. It is also true that, for any given manufacturing cost, increasing the zoom range lowers the optical quality. A wider zoom range inevitably means more compromise in the optical design of the scope. Zoom ranges around three times (3-9x or 4-12x, for example) have proven about optimum for both optical design and use in the field."

Does anyone disagree with the above? Also I have seen nothing about how these new zoom lens scopes hold up compared to a variable scope. Leupold has really been marketing these. I put one of their new VXR 2-7 that uses the zoom, on a bolt action 308 intended for short to medium range shooting.It seems fine for its intended purpose, but I worry about how it will take abuse. By the time you start looking at Leupold's new VX6 line of zoom lense scopes, you are getting into the price territory of a Nightforce or a leupold Mark 4.
Personally, I think if I am going to pay that much, it will be for a Nightforce. I love their 2.5-10x nsx compact for my Ar10T carbine.
What's everone else think?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlotziii
10 years 2 weeks ago #36970

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic variable vs zoom lens scopes

I haven't had a chance to try them, but I agree from my experience with zoom binoculars: Optic quality goes down as you zoom in, unless you pay for top of the line optics. Generally, we buy more power and options than we need in a scope. That is why I like your choice of the Nightforce for your AR10T. If I end up with one, consider imitation the sincerest form of flattery! Maybe if I was shooting a Barrett 50 cal or something like that it would be useful, but then how would it hold up to that massive recoil? Well made simple is good. Fewer things to go wrong.
10 years 2 weeks ago #36971

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic variable vs zoom lens scopes

While I don't agree with Chuck Hawks very often, I find myself completely in agreement with him on this.
RLTW
10 years 2 weeks ago #37014

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic variable vs zoom lens scopes

I would say Hawkes is generally on with this piece..

More scope than gun is common, just head over to 'that' forum and you will see plenty of pics. Sure I can put a 3x9 on my Daisy BB gun but what have I gained beyond TactiKooL.

Look at your gun in total (bbl length, caliber etc) and scope from there. Great to have a scope on you 5.56 that will let you count legs on an ant at 2000 meters but why mount that on a gun, why not a camera, that way you can take the shot and get it.

Funny in that I came on here to post a article I had just read that addresses some of this: www.ar10t.com/forums/10-moa/14540-eotec-and-ranging#37029

Very interesting article, glad I read it..
10 years 2 weeks ago #37030

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!