Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Nightforce are they worth all the money!

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Amerikos on topic Re:Nightforce are they worth all the money!

You are correct! I completely agree the Mk 4 is the way to go under 600 yd.
13 years 2 months ago #6725

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Rifleshooter on topic Re:Nightforce are they worth all the money!

I don't have a NF, but I have a SASS with a Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x50 with M1 dials. An AR10T in .243 24" SS with a Trijicon accu-point TR23G 5-20x50 with a mil-dot ret. with green dual Illumination. I totally love this scope. I had a Leupold VX3 8.5-25x50 w/target knobs and a fine duplex ret. on it but I replaced it after I bought a Trijicon accupoint TR20 3-9x40 Mil-dot amber ill. for my AR10 carbine. The carbine came with a trijicon acog TA55F 5.5x50 .308BDC which is awesome, but I wanted a scope for it too since I'm in a wheelchair and really only benchrest shoot. After I got the TR20 and was so happy with it I got the TR23 for my .243. I much prefer the TR23 over the VX3 and I think that it is just as good if not better than the Mk4. Trijicon accupoint scopes have a larger dia. eyepiece that has a bigger field of view and target acquisition is faster especially at higher magnification. The green dot, IMO is better than the amber and I prefer the fiber optic over battery illumination. Mainly because I don't shoot after dark. The trijicon scopes can be used with both eyes open much easier than any non illuminated Leupold.

IMO you should look at a Trijicon Accupoint over a Leupold Mk4. Optics planet has about the best deal on new optics with free shipping and if you use the code OPIV5OF you will get a 5% discount off any amount.

FYI, I've found (after trying many different rings) the best height rings for a flat top upper is .75" from the flat top to the bottom of the tube. I finally found the perfect height on my SASS with Leupold Mk4 med. I think. They have a .25" rise and I used a couple YHM .5" risers and got a perfect cheek weld on the Vltor modstock. I finally found some rings that are .75" tall. Burris XTR extreme tactical rings 30mm high. The XTR's are .25" low, .5" med., .75" high, and 1" x-high.
The .75" high give a perfect cheek weld on all my rifles. .243 with an A2 stock, .308 CAR with a magpul ACS, the SASS with a Vltor and a .223 with the VX3 and a magpul CTR. 1" or 30mm Burris XTR's are the way to go. Cheaper than Mk4's and better too.

Tom
Guns are good, Mm kay[siz e=4][/size]
13 years 1 month ago #6763

Replied by huntenthusiast on topic Re:Nightforce are they worth all the money!

I found Leupold Mk4 Alum. High rings on Amazon for only $80 shipped in case anyone's looking..
13 years 1 month ago #6771

Replied by moa bob on topic Re:Nightforce are they worth all the money!

I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x56 with zero stop and np-r2 reticle on an ar10t. mounted with N.F. Unimount. This scope is amazing. Brightness, clarity and resolution far exceed my leupold scopes. Expensive but worth it. Can shoot sub moa easily with it. Someone once said, when you buy the best you only cry once. I believe he was right. Beware, I have heard there are cheap imitations of the high end scopes out there. My 2-cents worth.
12 years 5 months ago #9314

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Re: Nightforce are they worth all the money!

The dollars don't justify the differences with a number of scopes. IOR Valda, Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, Leupold, Premier Heritage, etc.... these scopes all use Schott Glass. Everything else is whatever whistles and bells the Mfg. assembles. Pricing on some of them is out in left field for comparatives.
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
12 years 4 months ago #9534

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Nightforce are they worth all the money!

I think NF is worth the money, especially now that features like zero stop, FFP, and turret adjustments that measure the same as the farkin crosshairs are available. all that came out about 3 months after I bought into my nxs. eventually I'll send it in for the upgrades.

Nothing at all really wrong with leupold, decent optics and all, once was a time I would swear by them, but after side by side use, I'm gradually switching out of leupold. I will say that for what leupy brings to the table, they are the over priced scopes.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 4 months ago #9540

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Re: Nightforce are they worth all the money!

Agreed. I'm a US Optics, Premier Heritage and IOR fan. We have
leupys here but none of them are mounted any longer.
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
12 years 4 months ago #9541

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!