Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Where to get 5rd mag for LAR-8?

• Thank you received: 0

Where to get 5rd mag for LAR-8? was created by vrtigo1

I bought my LAR-8 last Christmas and want to take it hunting in Florida for the first time this month. A buddy just reminded me that the 20rd mag that comes with it won't be legal and I'll need to get a 5rd mag.

Back before I bought the rifle, I checked RRA's site to verify they sold 5rd mags for exactly this reason and they had them listed on the accessories page for that gun so I figured I was good to go and bought the rifle. I called them today to order two of them and they said the 5rd mags are in development and have never been available for sale.

The whole business of putting the product info on their site at least 10 months ago (probably sooner) and not having any kind of notice that the products are only in development and aren't available to buy seems kind of questionable to me, especially when you have to figure some folks are buying the .308 platform so they can hunt with it and will need those mags to be legal. It seems to me like there ought to be something next to the 5rd mag info on the RRA site that informs you that you cannot actually buy 5rd mags for this rifle from them so folks aren't confused, but I guess that's beside the point now.

Anyway, I read through this thread, which is quite old now:
www.ar10t.com/forums/rock-river-arms-lar...he-heck?limitstart=0

It ended 2 years ago and the 5rd mags are still not available so I have to wonder if they ever will be. When I talked to RRA, they didn't have any info and couldn't tell me how I could find more information or be notified when/if those mags do become available.

So my question now is what can I do to make my rifle comply with my state's 5rd capacity rule? I have seen some folks saying 5rd FAL mags from DSA work and others saying they don't. I called DSA and they told me their mags will not work in my rifle, so I don't want to order them if the manufacturer says they won't work.

Any other options I might not be aware of? I haven't been able to find anything specific in the hunting regulations, but from what I've been told and what little info I could find online, I don't think a magazine limiter will satisfy the rule, but even if it would I haven't been able to find any of those either.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
10 years 6 months ago #29533

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Where to get 5rd mag for LAR-8?

You can always load them one at a time. Or you can choose to modify one of your magazines for this purpose. You can drill it and pin it or modify the follower. There are videos on YOU Tube that show a lot of different ways to modify magazines to bring them into compliance. Good luck if you are stumped and unable to do it yourself drop me a PM.
10 years 6 months ago #29545

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!