Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Favorite handguns.

• Thank you received: 547

Favorite handguns. was created by Siscowet

Lets get the ball rolling on this new topic. What are people's favorite sidearms? Personally for me it is either John Brownings 1911 or Sig Sauer. Would like to see more Sigs offered in 45ACP.
11 years 4 months ago #14174

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Favorite handguns.

I have one of the first Kimber TLE RL II handguns. Back when rails on a 1911 where almost unheard of.

Never put a light or a laser on it but my brother has an Insight M3X laser/light combo on his and loves it.
11 years 4 months ago #14175

Replied by Siscowet on topic Favorite handguns.

I have rails on my Sig, haven't put anything on it. Kimbers make a nice 1911. Right now I am playing around with an Iver Johnson Eagle 1911 type. So far, with 400 rounds through it I like it a lot. It has micro type adjustable sights, and so far no FTF's or FTE's. it does have that second set of front slide serrations which I don't like. Next one I get will probably be a Gold Cup Colt Or a Kimber.
11 years 4 months ago #14176

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Favorite handguns.

I fell in love with STI 2011. Granted it is still an expensive 1911 pattern pistol with all the quirks that entails, but I have not had issue with mine yet. It was seeing first hand what the pistol is capable of that sold me on it. Possibly the most accurate .45 I've owned. I ran away from the 1911 pattern a long time ago. I grew frustrated with the cost of getting one to shoot as good as every other pistol would do out of the box. That changed when I shot an STI tactical. Holster options are the only negative with this pistol.

XD/XDM, I liked these for being the best bang for the buck on the market. Increased popularity has driven them up into Glock prices so it's really a matter of taste anymore. They do use a much better mag than Glock and I think the trigger is easier to tune. I dislike the grip safety, did not work well with heavy winter gloves. there are a few durability issues cropping up now that some of the early guns are getting some mileage on them. Mostly small parts breakage, pins and springs that are easily replaced.

Glock, USED TO hold the spot between STI and second place. while I can say I have never had a reliable 1911 without work, I have never had an accurate Glock without work. I swap out the barrel anyway, polygonal rifling does not work well with cast bullets. I did get burned by Glock some years back. Got home with a new G21 and discovered it had bad frame rails that snap off and Glock never issued a recall for. Long story short, some of those pistols are still in circulation and Glock is ok with that. I have to put them at rock bottom until I can trust them again.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 4 months ago #14177

The Sig SP2022 has a polymer frame like a Glock and has a stainless barrel, a stainless Nitron covered slide, and is rated for a life of 20,000 rounds. Comes with Sig night sights for around $500. It is incredibly accurate, and basically indestructible. I am sold. I wish it came in 45ACP, but you can have the same frame shoot either .40 S &W or .357 Sig, which is an underrated round.
11 years 4 months ago #14178

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Favorite handguns.

I'm a 1911 guy, figure why waste all that good training Uncle Sam handed out. There were a few units starting to get the 92 just before I got out but I never saw one. Our 1911's were like a baby's rattle when you shook them but they kept rolling through the rounds, good armourers helped I'm sure. :twothumbs:
Only issue I've had with a 1911 turned out to be some ammo that was a hair over the COL. It was the same Winchester factory hardball I'd been getting at wally world that had went 500 rounds without issue then all of a sudden I get a 3 point jam on the first round and only when I used the slide release, slingshotting worked fine. Springfield took the gun back and worked it over good. Got it back and had the same issue so back it went. They polished some more and then test fired 9 mags without issue and sent it back. I had the same problem but wised up and bought some federal ball, no issues. When I measured them later the Federal was a touch under and the Winchester I had left was a touch over, the bullet would touch the slide release just enough to screw things up.I imagine I just grabbed a few boxes from a bad lot because nothing since then has been a problem. Springfield worked the gun over for nothing, I kinda feel bad but the gun feels sweet! :dance:
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 4 months ago #14179

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Favorite handguns.

I have a "Pre-B" CZ-75 that I like a lot. It has excellent ergonomics, is accurate, and fits my hand. Never had a problem with it.

For more modern stuff I like Sig. I've owned a P226 for many years and recently got a P239. They're a bit pricey, but Sig is good equipment.

Holsters for the CZ-75 are a bit of an issue, but a couple of months ago I ordered a Gould & Goodrich 3-slot pancake holster for the P226 and it didn't fit worth a damn. Weirdly, it does fit the CZ-75! G&G claimed it was a mis-marked holster and sent me another one, but it doesn't fit the 226 either. I don't know what's with those guys!

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 4 months ago #14184

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Favorite handguns.

Somebody say "Kimber 1911" and "Sig Sauer .45?"

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here's a plain-jane SA 1911 GI that I dolled up several years ago that's still giving yeoman's service to the family:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

RLTW
11 years 4 months ago #14189

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Favorite handguns.

I have a TLE RL II as well. GREAT gun. Really well put together. I've had it for several years now and it's never failed to go bang. I've done pistol courses with it and it's never let me down. It's my favorite 1911 of the four I own.

My son LUSTS after this gun. I told him that he's in the Army now, just go buy one. He said, "It wouldn't be the same." Kids, go figure.
I agree, the SP 2022 is one of the most underrated pistols on the market.
RLTW
11 years 4 months ago #14191

Very nice! The other gun that intrigues me is the HK 45 that is issued to US Spec Ops. I read about the testing they did on that pistol. They are not cheap, but again, I understand they are basically indestructible. Anyone have any experience?
11 years 4 months ago #14194

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!