Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Favorite handguns.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Favorite handguns.

Years ago, when I was on a ramen for dinner budget, I was looking around for a good value handgun. I ended up buying two. First an Astra A80 in 45 ACP for $275 new. It is a clone of the Sig operating system but with a stacked magazine with 10 rounds 45. I was amazed at how well it shot. initially it is very accurate. After the third clip or so its groups opened up considerably. A couple of years later I picked up an Astra A100 in 9mm for $325 and found out possibly why. The slides are the same, but the 9mm barrel is three times thicker to take up the same amount of space! So the 9mm is actually heavier and is incredibly accurate, period. I think the barrel in the 45 is so much thinner and heats up and slightly expands, causing the accuracy to deteriorate. Other than that both have over 2,000 rounds through them and never one FTE or FTF. It is too bad Astra went out of business, but it sold me on the Sig Sauer operating system. I have heard one isolated report concerning Astra metallurgy, but I closely inspect them periodically and have never found any stress related problems. Personally I think the guy writing that review was just trying to make out like an expert. Has anybody else heard anything along those lines?
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Siscowet. Reason: Misspelling
11 years 4 months ago #14252

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LebbenB I see the Anchor on the SIG as well as the Picatinny rail. Assume it is the same model as the SEALS use. I understand they went the SIG route after a SEAL lost his two front teeth when the slide of a Berreta 92 broke in half and the rear section hit him in the mouth.
11 years 4 months ago #14255

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Favorite handguns.

I read the report that DoD released about the incidents in the late 80s. The incidents involved the AL frame cracking and the entire slide flying off the frame and into the user's face. Beretta redesigned the frame to prevent this from occuring. To be fair, the SEALs, like any tier one unit, maintains a pretty harsh firing schedule and they were using "hot" 9mm ammo meant to be used from MP5s versus M882 ball designed for pistol/GP usage.

But there are many more reasons to hate the M9...
RLTW
11 years 4 months ago #14256

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Favorite handguns.

Well, that's what I got for C-mas a Beretta 92 Italian nice to no what you get before you get it, (RAZOR BLADE's STILL DO COME IN HANDY) couldn't help the wife ya no! on sale at Cabela's and points Oh well< I need something to shoot all that 9mm ammo the wife hasn't ran through her Springfield XDM :whistle: Thanx 11B but I need them two ya no :evil:
AKAI
11 years 4 months ago #14269

I have a friend who has a Berretta 92 and says it is his favorite. And he has a Kimber as well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We just all agree an AR 10 is beautiful!
11 years 4 months ago #14337

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Favorite handguns.

Still has to be my favorite shooter!
Colt Government Series 80 .38 Super Custom by Cylinder & Slide and me.
I do agree the Kimber has a sweet factory trigger.
AKAI
11 years 4 months ago #14339

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Favorite handguns.

Ruger P90 , still go out of my way to snag these 1st gen pistols when they come on the market in good shape. I have done things to this pistol that are absurd. I am currently on numbers 4 and 5. Have shot as many as 15000 rounds a year through one of these. You can totally abuse them and they will keep coming back. Like foxhunter said because of the price you don't feel bad about doing it either. If it ever does let you down you can use it as a club. Out of 5 guns only one has ever failed under normal use. If I had to pick another, without hesitation it would be the Sig. I have seen others abuse them like I abuse mine with good results.
11 years 3 months ago #15568

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by et1911rph on topic Favorite handguns.

STI Spartan 45.
11 years 3 months ago #15569

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Favorite handguns.

Pics!

And welcome to the forum.
RLTW
11 years 3 months ago #15570

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Redscout02 on topic Favorite handguns.

You all are going to think I am crazy but I carry and shoot a Rock Island 1911 compact and liked it so much I traded away a Kimber for 2 more one more for and one for the wife, the little thing are great plain and hard workers and for less than than 500 a gun I couldn't beat them. I have been keeping a round count in the first one and it is up to 4350 rounds down range and has never miss a beat. It shoots everything well, the only thing that didn't do great in were some wad cutters a guy loaded and try to sell me but I think those were just bad loads. Just my 2 cents
11 years 3 months ago #15573

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!