Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Look what followed me home. Nightmare 1911

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Look what followed me home. Nightmare 1911

Awww, heck. If yours is like my ex she can't tell a 1911 from a Model T. One time I wanted a new pedal steel, so I got one that was the same color as my old one, stuck it in the closet, and made sure she was out when the new one arrived. It worked like a charm :laugh: .

The Sig 1911 is a seriously nice piece of work. I'd get one if they came in .38 Super (and if .38 Super was still a viable cartridge).

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 3 months ago #16448

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic Look what followed me home. Nightmare 1911

Finally got to take this bad boy to the range again. 31 degrees and windy but my buddy still had to pull me off the line because he was cold.

I am used to my Taurus and Glock. Next to them this thing is a Cadillac. The trigger is amazing....AMAZING!

The first time I took it I noticed that the first round out of a magazine will eject and hit you right between the eyes on about every 3rd magazine. Anyone else ever hear of this? I tried it with some aluminum case Blazers, Remingtons and some handloads. All of them were 230 gr. but they all did the same thing. I gotta tell you it's a little hard to get used to knowing that the first round you fire out of a magazine might hit you on the beak.
11 years 2 months ago #17616

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Look what followed me home. Nightmare 1911

Yes. It's called "Clocking." If it doesn't go away within 250 rounds or so, take the pistol to a good 1911 smith and have him adjust your extractor or replace the extractor spring. As part of your routine maintenance, ensure that the extractor hook is free of carbon build-up.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 2 months ago #17634

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Look what followed me home. Nightmare 1911

I had a Springfield 1911 that did weird things like that, but I traded it off and never found out why.

I'm in the market for a couple of new toys, and a 1911 is one of them. I like the Sig because I know their work, and I want a rail. Maybe I'll get one after this week's apocalypse is resolved (lol).

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
11 years 2 months ago #17636

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Look what followed me home. Nightmare 1911

I have a 1911 style Iver Johnson Thrasher that does that. I have heard reports it could be the extractor failing. But that was specific to Shooter Arms Manufacturing 3" barrel 1911 styles. Check with the 1911 forum, a lot of info there.
Just read Lebbens comment, think I will try that.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Siscowet.
11 years 2 months ago #17639

Also, try downloading your mags by one round and see if the problem persists. And mark your mags to see if the problem occurs in one particular mag consistantly.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: VTIT
11 years 2 months ago #17648

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Look what followed me home. Nightmare 1911

4-duce or 81mm?

I was 4-duce Plt Ldr for several years
11 years 2 months ago #17649

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic Look what followed me home. Nightmare 1911

OleCowboy: 81 MM and 60 MM Loved burning the extra charges. You always get that look on a nube's face. YOU ARE GONNA DO WHAT? I wish I had all that powder now. 3-172 (MTN) used 81's and 1st Brigade-10th Mountain used 60's. Personally I liked the thump of the 81's better. I fired the 4-duce a couple times at Benning. Definitely an eye opener.

LebbenB: Thanks I'll try that. I have 7 mags two that came with it and 5 Wilson Combat. I am not sure which ones did it or if they all do it. I'll try putting 7 in instead of 8 and numbering them to see if it is all of them. I only have 150 rounds or so through it. I am hoping it stops after a while.
11 years 2 months ago #17663

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Look what followed me home. Nightmare 1911

The 4.2" is a 106 mm rd, sort of a 105 mm Arty light..., great rd, not even sure if that is in the TO&E any more, I retired in '94
11 years 2 months ago #17707

4-Deuce went away in the late 90's and was replaced by a 120mm in heavy units. I gained a real appreciation for the 120 in Afghnistan; our Arty guys had to give up their 105s and use 120mm mortars because the 105 couldn't elevate high enough to get over some of the ridges and mountains in our AO.

VTIT, what I'm thinking is the leading edge of the extractor hook is engaging the case at the chamfer (the bevelled area just ahead of the extractor groove) of the first round and ejecting it at 12 o'clock. This might be caused by a burr on the extractor hook and just needs to wear down a bit.

I'm gonna blame the victim a little bit - what kind of grip do you take with the pistol?
RLTW
11 years 2 months ago #17729

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!