Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

GG&G...HHMMMM

• Thank you received: 102

GG&G...HHMMMM was created by BUILDING MY SASS

I am putting this here because in essence it is or was a sight base..
Well I don't know how many people have the GG&G products but unfortunately this one fell apart...after the company told me it would stand up to the AR-50....I guess they were wrong..it couldn't handle the ArmaLite BMG Bad Boy....at least with it's current design..I am talking to (well trying to) talk with them to get this resolved, but I seem to be being avoided by the Sales Director of whom I am corresponding with.
As always my brothers and friends...I will give them a chance to fix the issue...but I did have some trouble with it once before on my AR-10...it is mainly designed for the 15 platform...and has trouble with the larger platforms...it comes loose after so many rounds..
All in all I should take some responsibility as I should have know that with the current design it would not hold up to the 50 BMG..not to many things will...the real bitch is I wasted a hole box of Hornady A-Max 750gr shells...10 rounds at $51 a box of 10 + shipping...so about 57 bucks total...
Again as usual I have messed with it and found a way to increase the stability of the rail, the question is will they up grade it (customize it to work for the 50) and end up with a HD style rail for larger calibers or just say well sorry...That is the question...will keep you all apprised as to what transpires.
Oh I also have it in mind to do it my self if need be...so as soon as I take care of this...there will be another 50 cal shoot...
The shooting videos are going up tonight...so I will have them posted as soon as I can....
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 8 months ago #5190

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by guido1 on topic Re:GG&G...HHMMMM

Hello

I have the GG&G QD base on my RRA LAR-8 (the one with two "triggers" on the right side to release it) and haven't yet seen any problems. What kind of round count on your AR-10 did you start to notice the loosening up issue?
I only have 500-600 rounds through the LAR, but it does have a fairly heavy IOR scope mounted. I'm gonna keep a close eye on that rascal.
Any experiences with the LaRue QD mounts with the "50"?

Thanks for the heads-up.

-guido in Houston
13 years 8 months ago #5226

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:GG&G...HHMMMM

Well I guess I need to update this....sorry... :ohmy:
I have talked with GG&G and sent the standard rail back for inspection....they think it might have been out of spec to begin with....as far as how many rounds I shot before it came loose..off hand I don't recall, it was a couple of years ago...and after it happened I bought my LaRue LT-135 and used the GG&G for my back up scope....
On the LaRue mount....I called them and asked if my 135 would hold up...they flat out said no...they only make one mount rated for the 50 cal...the LT-107. So I guess at the moment I am back to square one as far as the mount...I should have just bought higher rings to begin with...being the scope was on loan...I did not want to disassemble it out of respect for the owner....but as I said, I have to take some responsibility for this...as someone once said to me...the more links in the chain you have the more likely you are going to have problems...I guess that is true...
I did not mean to put down GG&G, I was just venting and also to let anyone else out there that has that riser to keep an eye on it..
They are making a valiant attempt to correct the issue...
I will say though...I had a similar issue once on a piece of MI equipment...and they just sent out a new one to me and said to send the old one back...so for what ever it is worth...
I am sure your GG&G scope mount will be fine....I know alot of people with their products and have heard very few issues...mine was just my luck....
I always seem to find the problematic stuff...wish my lottery tickets would be so lucky.... :laugh:
One quick note....LaRue has to be one of the best for QD mounts out there...but they cost as well.
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 8 months ago #5227

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Re:GG&G...HHMMMM

I really did`nt see it as a bashing GG&G rather I saw it as an issue with a product and a waiting for the response from the company that designed and manufactured that product,good to see they is working with you,keep us updated on the outcome.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
13 years 8 months ago #5237

Well an update to this....I guess GG&G are upgrading the design.
They told me that they are going to larger bolts and larger inserts (heli coils) to strengthen it....so we will see...but in the mean time I got a Arms # 5 riser....Me thinks I see a comparison video in the works.....see which one will stand up to The AR-50...just need to get some ammo....Donations welcome.... :laugh:
BMS

13 years 7 months ago #5335

Replied by Room 055 on topic Re:GG&G...HHMMMM

GG&G has always been a "go-to" company for me with mounts and other gear. I've purchased several mounts, two Aimpoint Comps, a magnifier, BUISs, and numerous other products from them over the last several years. They will always make right on their stuff, whether they manufactured it or not. I'm currently eyeing a heavy-duty bipod they make. I've never heard of a single piece of GG&G equipment ever failing in the field. You must be the unlucky 'one'.
13 years 7 months ago #5349

Well being most of their stuff is rated for the 15s I am not surprised that it wouldn't stand up to the AR-50...Not to many things will..being a 50 cal.
With the new design, we will see...but at the cost of ammo, not sure how much I will put into it..unless they want to help with it..
BMS

Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
13 years 7 months ago #5359

Replied by Room 055 on topic Re:GG&G...HHMMMM

The 50 caliber rifles are in a unique category of their own. They are heavy. They are expensive. They have a heavy recoil; however, not really much more than a 338 LM. And, they have a VERY SMALL market. The 50 cal rifle was conceived as a stand-off anti-vehicle system. The beneficial side-effect is the flat trajectory which makes it an option for long range bench rifle shooters. However, one needs a place to shoot it where it can stretch it's legs; otherwise, it's just a very expensive unwieldy toy. The 338 is a far superior platform for the maximum distances that sport shooters have available. i.e. 1000 to 1500 meters. Pretty much anything that works on say a 300WM will work on a 338LM. Not so for the 50BMG, so most manufacturers don't see it as a viable accessories market. Only a handful of the aftermarket manufacturers are going to produce quality product for the 50BMG. So, the 50 is on it's way out as a sportsman's rifle, while the 338LM is coming into it's own. With more than enough range for all but a few lucky souls that can play in the desert of the southwestern states, more accuracy than the 50, lower relative cost to shoot, more reloading options, and an overall lighter weight platform, the 338LM makes more sense for aftermarket and OEM manufacturers to focus their engineering on. GG&G is a great company with no claims to competing in the 50BMG playground. I hope they don't get any negative ticks for being dragged into it on occasion.
13 years 7 months ago #5368

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:GG&G...HHMMMM

The rings I'm using on my AR-10 are the Badger Ordinance Max-50 rings. They are designed specifically for the .50 cal and they are a beast!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

That picture is off their website.

They carry a hefty price tag too but they will certainly hold up to the rigors of the AR-50 and other .50 caliber rifles.

I would equate it to being in a car accident every time a round is fired.

Only thing I do not like about them is they are parkarized so the finish does not exactly match my AR-10T finish.

You can see them mounted on my rifle with a Leupold scope in the photo gallery .
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by mlotziii.
13 years 7 months ago #5371

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Yeah Boss, I should have just bought a set to begin with...but you know how it goes...tried to use what was at hand....What is the measurement from the rail to center of optic on those...I need a min of 1.5" with 1.75 being better....
Oh and I like the car accident thing...it is about right...

Room........
As I stated in the first post in this thread...They told me on the phone that it would hold up to the AR-50....but I am giving them a chance to make good....given this situation it has sparked an up-grade and I also gave them some ideas for one that would be tough enough....they are looking at all the "book work" to see if it is cost effective before they take up my design suggestions......I don't want to see them get a bad rap...but if a company tells you it will hold....then it should....right.

I am hoping to get the new one by the end of the week...get some more ammo...then I think we will do a test on it...and the ARMS #5 as well....need to call ARMS first and see what it is rated for...
Let the Fun Begin....BOOM BOOM BOOM....oh and BOOM... :woohoo:
BMS

Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
13 years 7 months ago #5376

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!