Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

GG&G...HHMMMM

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:GG&G...HHMMMM

Just got off the phone with ARMS...the guy I spoke with said that the #5 WILLhold up to the AR-50...so there again...the manufacturer says it will hold...we shall see...
Now if I just could get someones help with ammo....this could turn into a serious durability test...but as always...out of my pocket so will try to get 10 rounds for each...
Stay tuned...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 7 months ago #5378

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Room 055 on topic Re:GG&G...HHMMMM

BMSASS,

A typical long range rifle setup should shoot for 1.5 inches LOS above bore with no more than 2" if possible. It would also utilize at least a 20 MOA base. If you are unfamiliar with slanted bases, basically, your base is biasing 20 MOA off the bat. This leaves more elevation adjustment internally in your scope, keeping in mind you are not rotating the scope 90-degrees in the rings and using windage (which has less adjustment) for elevation. If you zero the 50 at 200 yards, it will give you even more internal elevation adjustment in your scope. If the base is integrated into the receiver on the AR50 and it doesn't allow for this, then that is an issue with that rifle.

The nice side effect of a 20 base, or even 30 MOA, base is that your ocular lens is lifted higher for your elevated cheek weld. If you employ an AR-style riser base and/or higher rings, you raise your LOS too high off your bore. You will end up diminishing accuracy for several reasons.

First, you will have exacerbated canting error. In creating a higher profile, any slight cant in the vertical plane will throw your bullet further left or right as the distance increases. Most shooters that do most of their work from the 100 yard line won't notice this as much as those shooting from longer distances.

Second, you will have not made the rifle an extension of the body. In a proper shooting position, the rifle and the body should be as close together as possible. The bore should be an extension of the body's lateral axis in the prone position. Shooting from a seated position at a bench destroys this tool/body connection and will diminish accuracy. Having the correct cheek weld with line of sight directly over and as close to the bore as possible will increase accuracy quite a bit. Again, this is exacerbated with longer shots.

If you end up shooting the 50 again, work with someone to show you the proper way to mount the body to the rifle and the rifle to the body without the scope even on the rifle. Make believe there is an iron blade sight on the barrel at the muzzle end. Depending on the stock, you may have to raise the cheek piece slightly, but not all that far. Once you have this down, then have someone hold a scope in front of your eye so you can see what height it should be at. Or, just put the lowest rings possible on a 20 or 30 MOA base and then measure the distance above bore to the center of the scope's tube. This should be the lowest height possible without having the bell of the objective actually touching the barrel.

This height will give you the best relationship between your scope and rifle and increase you accuracy tremendously.

I understand you had to use what you could beg, borrow, and steal for this demo; however, there is definitely a 'best practice' method for increasing accuracy in long range shooting. Your groups will shrink. That rifle should be able to shoot 2" to 2.5" groups at 400 yards with no problems.

Rings that have more than 2 screws per side are ideal. If they aren't available to you, you can use a third or even fourth ring to mount your scope if your tube is long enough. This will take any flex torque out of your scope caused by recoil. The base screws, ring mount screws, and ring top half screws should all be secured with light duty locktite or clear nail polish to keep them snug during recoil as well. During transport, do not remove the scope from the rifle. Only the highest quality bases, rings, and scopes will not have a shift in zero after being reinstalled. Just having a different torque on the mounting bolts of the rings after re-mounting the scope will through the zero off ever so slightly and move the POI at the longer distances.

All of these variables that don't really affect accuracy at short distances will add up to frustrate the long range shooter. This is why I recommended a long range shooting class in a previous post to you. It wasn't meant to slam you, but it will help you hit paper and tighten those groups further down range.

Also, work on trigger pull by dry firing while lined up on a longer range target. With no recoil, you'll see if your trigger pull is impacting the rifle. Just the tiniest bit of influence will open up your groups tremendously at 400 yards and beyond.

I sincerely hope you don't take these recommendations as anything but help.
13 years 7 months ago #5387

I appreciate the long notation...but for the most part check check and check....it all has been done....I had the set up just perfect but as I said...if fell apart...but even though I wasted ammo...it was still fun....I have all the avenues covered...and not being rude...I did alot of research before I did this...and also the rifle has a 15MOA base stock with a 30 and 50 available, but then again, I am only shooting 400 yards so it really isn't needed....I know...it's just getting warmed up but it is all I have to work with......thanks for the effort.
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 7 months ago #5397

No effort. You might say, it was effortless.
13 years 7 months ago #5400

Well I just got the new "upgraded" rail back...they definitely beefed up the bolts and the Heli coils...so will have to give it a work out...will post up my findings... ;)
BMS

13 years 7 months ago #5541

OK...I have to say in a way...I am somewhat honored...found out that the upgrade to my rail is the "FIRST", it's basically the Prototype for the new design....They haven't decide on it yet...so I guess I have more riding on this than I thought....who knew..
So after thinking hard on this...I am ordering one more box of 50 cal ammo...that will make 3boxes,30rounds....I am going to re-install the GG&G mount and bore sight the rifle in....but I am keeping the ARMS mount close at hand...just in case....I still need to get some accuracy out of the AR-50...can't just let it go with out having some targets to be proud of and it is hard to write an article and talk about the accuracy when you have none because of a malfunction....but I think this Prototype will prove to be the cat's meow if it make the grade against the AR-50 A1...
Keep you posted...
BMS

13 years 7 months ago #5553

You still have the AR50???? Wow. They must think it's lost???
13 years 7 months ago #5567

OK...for those of you that have followed this....well here it is...
I will be posting my test result videos when done.....
Hope you like the show....

BMS

13 years 6 months ago #5640

Well there in....the results of the Field Test....It held up FANTASTIC....and got some great footage of the AR-50 as well...
Hope you like the video.....
BMS

13 years 6 months ago #5700

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!