Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

• Thank you received: 0

Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions. was created by Dashammer

Need some help in my decision.

1. Would like to get a carbine type.

2. 308 cal.

3. Optic. Something that does not use batteries but is a red dot type. Back up either attachable carry handle or flip ups.

4. Will not cost me an arm and a leg.

5. Must have forward assit and dust cover and either 3 or 6 position stock.
14 years 3 months ago #2784

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Dashammer on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

Update on cal.

1, Does a 7.62 nato chamber also letyou use .308cal ammo in it too. If so then 7.62 nato instead of 308 cal.
14 years 3 months ago #2785

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

SAAMI .308 chamber and NATO 7.62mm chamber are the same; you should not have trouble using commercial ammo in 7.62mm chamber, at least as a general rule. Armalite has found that some .308 ammo has an overall length that is not appropriate for military style semiautos. Also, not all ammo labeled .308 or 7.62 adheres to US or NATO specs. On the Armalite website, in their technical notes, there is quite a bit of information on this issue. Be particularly careful with some imported surplus ammo. Most of it is very good, but some has been bad, at least according to internet postings. The AR15.com website has quite a bit of info on this. (You have to wonder why ammo gets surplused? Didn't meet third world army standards? Scary!)

Off hand, I'm not aware of red dot sights that don't use a battery, but a few years back some "dot" sights were powered by radioactive tritium. Take a look at the Trijicon website for a possible source.
14 years 3 months ago #2787

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

Well Dashammer, let me first welcome you to the site. :cheer:
If I be so bold as to ask, what are you willing to spend....building these can be somewhat pricey. If you can give me a round-about figure I would be glad to help you find what you need.....
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 3 months ago #2791

Replied by Qbeam on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

Dashammer,

I would have to agree with Building My SASS, that item #4 is a relative amount (i.e. the cost of an arm and leg to you, may not be the same cost to others).

DPMS makes some carbines that fit your bill without the optics, but item #4 would determine if it is the ballpark for you.

As for optics, there are very few red dot sights that do not use batteries. Trijicon makes the ACOG with a tritium light source, but this is a magnified scope, and would cost almost the same as the rifle itself ($800+). Trijicon also makes a reflex sight that I believe is self illuminating, but the cost on this is pretty stiff as well ($400-$500+)

www.trijicon.com

Let us know a little more, and we can maybe help you build a rifle.

Q
14 years 3 months ago #2797

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

Some other questions that might help us give you suggestions:

Do you currently own an AR platform rifle?

What kind of shooting do you plan to do with it? (distance; hunting vs target vs defense etc)
14 years 3 months ago #2798

Replied by Dashammer on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

MY purpose is Deer/Elk hunting and more to the punch Home defense.

I would like to spend around a grand or less for rifle and mounts. I am not sure about getting a red dot or Holo sight system.

I like the .308 cal because it's got alot more poo poo in the panties than .556/.223. But I want to keep it to a carbine style setup.

I guess what I am looking for is this. AR-10 carbine style that will fire both .308 and 7.62 Nato. Flat top with quick connect mounts so I can change form my scope to iron sites( Carry handle with mil-spec rear site- mil-spec front site.). I all ready plan to put my 3x9 leuipold gold ring scope on it. (sorry my spelling sucks.)

For home defense I already got the 870 wingmaster with magizine extension and slug barrel and CZ-75 9mm. I am looking for something that will toe up with any booey man who might be out there and a good solid hunting cal. rifle to boot.
14 years 3 months ago #2800

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

Well after checking some prices, for the most part either DPMS or RRA will start around a grand.....depending on the model. My opinion, for what it is worth, you might as well kick in the other 400 and get an AR-10..just my opinion.
I did find a red dot site that does not use batteries, but it is in the 650 to 700 range...
www.kimberamerica.com/shop/product.php?xProd=9&xSec=14

I have to say also, that we have had the discussion about the AR-10 for home defense, it is not a CQB weapon, even the way I have mine configured, but it is more suited for what I call CRE (close range engagement). My self at this time also have a 12 ga and a .45 for home defense, going to get a M-15 hopefully this spring....If the bad guys pull up in front of the house, well the AR-10 will have no problem filling the vehicle full of nasty holes.... :lol: B)
But in the house, well I don't want to put a bullet into the neighbor's living room....would not be good :ohmy: :whistle:
I am not trying to deter you in anyway, just giving you some honest input.....and just in case you are wondering....I have almost 4K in mine...hope any of this helps....when you decide on a price that you are willing to spend, the fun will begin.

Base rifle.....$1000 to 1500.00
Sights......$200 approx if you go with a A4 type of rifle.
and then you have optics and a hand-guard (optional)
and a few other things depending on what and how you want to build it....
If you want I can compile a list of prices according to what you want....
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 3 months ago #2801

CRE is what I am talking about, say 100 to 500 meters in range. If it gets to CQB then if the 870/9mm can't do it for me then I guess it's Fiskers pole AX time.

I just saw a AR-10A4CBE on my local gun shop web site for $1,233.00. That's do able for me in the short time. It's got a picatinny top. So what kind of quick connects/scope mount do you think I should get for my leuapold 3x9 gold ring. The picture showed no iron sites so I guess a flip up combo for it will also be needed. The standard hand guards pictured looked ok for me.

Optics for me are an unknown. What do you think. Aren't they mainly for CQB. I did see a cool Holo at Eotech graduated aim point for .308 cal out to like 600 meters I forgot the model number however.

If you want and have the time a price list would be great.
14 years 3 months ago #2806

Replied by Qbeam on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

Dashammer,

Is this the sight you were looking at?

swfa.com/EOTech-552-Military-Holosight-P7874.aspx

If you go to swfa.com, you will find a whole bunch of riflescopes. SWFA has decent prices, and the customer service folks can help you on your scope selection. They also have some decent mounts.

In the quick connect mounts department, there are several manufacturers for these. LaRue Tactical, GG&G, WARNE, and others, make mounts, as well as some rifle manufacturers.

If you notice, with all the ad-ons, the $4000+ investment is not that unrealistic for a well evolved rifle. This evolution is over time though, so the total is not a one time investment. Think of it as a long term work in progress.
14 years 3 months ago #2807

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!