Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR10 with/Timney trigger--first trip to the range

• Thank you received: 1

AR10 with/Timney trigger--first trip to the range was created by JCosmoAsp

My shooting partner (and wife) bought me an Accushot monopod and a Timney trigger for my Armalite AR10 (I put "Armalite" and "AR10" together to differentiate it from those who think all 7.62 rifles are AR10s). I installed them the day after Christmas, and shot the rifle last Thursday at the Sacramento (CA) Valley Shooting Center-a GREAT shooting range. At 100 yards, with USA Ammo 168 and 175 gr. bullets, SSA 175 gr. bullets, and Federal 150 gr. bullets, no group was over 1.5 inches. Biggest surprise of all...the Federal 150 grainers shot into something less than an inch. None of this ammo shot consistently with the stock trigger, which felt like it was full of sand, and broke whenever...
Now, the rest is up to me. I'm going to measure the groups and scan the targets tomorrow (still packing Xmas stuff away) and post them. BTW, the monopod made a big difference--no farting around with bags after each shot, and with a bipod, reacquiring the sight picture was simple and quick--just move the bipod and dial the monopd up or down a turn ot two. It's like getting a new rifle...
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by JCosmoAsp. Reason: misspelled word Armalite
12 years 3 months ago #9669

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by massduster on topic Re: AR10 with/Timney trigger--first trip to the range

Thanks for posting that. I have a timney trigger in my AR-15, I was wondering how they performed in the AR-10. I'll have to add that to my wishlist now!!!
12 years 3 months ago #9758

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: AR10 with/Timney trigger--first trip to the range

The stock AR-10 trigger was the reason I dumped my HK91 and got a 10BNMF. It's smooth as a baby's butt and breaks clean. You want to see a crappy trigger? Check out an HK 9X.

I guess it's what you get used to.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 3 months ago #9760

Replied by JCosmoAsp on topic Re: AR10 with/Timney trigger--first trip to the range

Well, Charlie, I guess that's true. My old man said you (meaning me) could get used to living with a hole in your head after a while, but who wants to do that? Perhaps I could have tried stoning the trigger's mating surfaces an experimenting with it, and although I'm all for the dyi approach, the time it takes didn't appeal. I'd compare this letoff to one of my Ruger No. 1s or 3s now, which makes me happy enough, and doesn't seem at all like a hole in my head...
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by JCosmoAsp.
12 years 3 months ago #9762

Replied by JCosmoAsp on topic Re: AR10 with/Timney trigger--first trip to the range

Happy to share the experience, Massduster. My wife, besides buying great gifts, also buys her own booze and ammo, which makes me very happy as well.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by JCosmoAsp.
12 years 3 months ago #9763

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: AR10 with/Timney trigger--first trip to the range

Oh! I wasn't being critical. It was just funny because before I got the AR-10 I didn't realize how bad the HK's trigger sucked. Maybe after I shoot the BNMF I'll go on about how I need to get a match trigger for the A4BF.

Charlie
12 years 3 months ago #9764

No offense taken. My first experience with an AK trigger was the same. No wonder the jihadists of the world shoot straight into the air so often, it's something they can actually hit.
12 years 3 months ago #9765

+1 :-D

We sold a Vector underfolder to get the 10A4BF.

Charlie
12 years 3 months ago #9766

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

[IMG][IMG]http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx130/jcosmoasp/ScannedImage120060009.jpg[/img]

Here's the 100 yard results after the trigger transplant. The cheapest ammo shot as good as the most expensive (Federal AE308D #500rds/$299.00 vs. the SSA at 25.00/box), which makes the Scot in me very happy.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by JCosmoAsp. Reason: corrected text
12 years 3 months ago #9772

Replied by why2dogs on topic Re: AR10 with/Timney trigger--first trip to the range

I am a huge Timney trigger fan! I have their skeletonized triggers in my Beowulf, grendels and my AR-15. They make a drop in for the AR-10 but not in the skeletonized version. I contacted the manufacturer and they said they would make one for me for $300. I'm going to have them do that after I get my feed problem fixed. I also love the Accu-Shot monopod. I have PRS stocks on all my tactical rifles and the monopod is fantastic! Funny stuff about the wife too! Good luck with the Timney. You're gonna love it.
12 years 3 months ago #9827

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!