Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

The perfect general purpose 308 AR

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic The perfect general purpose 308 AR

Sisco, the 243 brings a lot to the table for sure.

5.56@55gr: 100 yds: 2897 fps 1024 ft lbs

.243@55gr: 100 yds: 3492 fps 1488 ft lbs

5.56@55gr: 300 yds: 2234 fps 609 ft lbs

.243@55gr: 300 yds: 2763 fps 932 ft lbs

And the WINNER IS.....
10 years 4 months ago #32622

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic The perfect general purpose 308 AR

A purchaser of the Ruger 762 on another forum had a very in depth report on it. While being an Armalite fan, they may want to develop a piston design. There are some advantages. Apparently cleaning is a snap because the BCG hardly gets dirty at all. And when combined with an adjustable gas block, you can adjust for subsonic loads for a suppressor can quite easily. It is looking interesting.
10 years 4 months ago #32625

I read a comprehensive report on that (not sure if its the same one or not), but it does ding the 762 on being quite front end heavy. They have the piston up front wich works well, but with weight an issue is that a major detriment?

What I would like to see is a 'shared' piston approach, so as be it Ruger or ArmaLite the parts are common, etc...till then I fear it...
10 years 4 months ago #32626

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic The perfect general purpose 308 AR

Piston systems are way overrated on ARs, want a piston op gun get an AK, SCAR, ACR, G36, SIG 556 etc as those guns were designed to work that way without the heavy mods needed to make an AR operate on a piston without eating itself.

The AR-15 only gets a boost from a piston if your using poor quality, dirty, corroded ammo and a slight improvement when outside grime gets in the rifle.

The additional operating mass and energy makes the above even less of an issue in large platform ARs.

IMHO the additional money spent on a piston AR of any type would be better spent on a heavy buffer, stronger buffer spring, adjustable gas block, and a titanium nitride, nickle boron, dimondblack, or similar coated BCG.

The above will boost reliability in adverse conditions, speed cleaning and only add a few oz at most. All without sacrificing accuracy, balance, or adding extra parts that can break or be lost during disassembly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 4 months ago #32628

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by maskman228 on topic The perfect general purpose 308 AR

Agreed
10 years 4 months ago #32629

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic The perfect general purpose 308 AR

A lot of points both ways, who is really to know? I haven't seen enough out of Seal/SOCOM use of the H and K 416 in the Afghanistan environment to know if it really answered the piston vs DI question. For me, it probably wouldn't make any difference. But under the terms of discussion in this thread, it makes for a lively discussion. Only way to find out more is to shoot one myself. I am going to find a way to do that.
10 years 4 months ago #32630

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic The perfect general purpose 308 AR

I can see the BCG would be easier to clean but would the adjustable gas block itself be easy to clean? Eventually you'll have to clean it, how fast can that be done? The "piston AR" almost seems like a step backwards, didn't the M-14 use something very similar? My thoughts are less parts, less the chance something can break. Accuracy is another issue. When piston AR's start winning competitions on a regular basis then I might give them more credit there, till then I'm just not sure..........
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 4 months ago #32639

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by maskman228 on topic The perfect general purpose 308 AR

My thoughts as well.
10 years 4 months ago #32640

For the reasons some of you have mentioned the piston generally seems to just be a nothing more than a another approach. While there are weapons out there that use the piston and do well with it. In every case it was a organic design from day 1.

Part 2: There is a lot of truth to the old axe, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. The DGI system has no shortage of use around the world and a history going back to the 50's. I have never seen the problem the piston fixes. WHile often we hear you got to keep you AR clean I also had to keep a M14 clean and look back and never saw a lot of additional effort to clean my AR. In the 70's for some reason we seemed to have millions of blanks to shoot up. We would go to the field for a 5 day FTX and shoot blanks by the hundreds and 1000's. Blanks REALLY carbon up bad, but with the right tools were a breeze to clean. ( would soak my M 16 in carbon cleaner I got down at the Chev house, set it on a pie pan to catch the drips, put it in my wall locker, take a long lunch, come back, wipe off and turn in my M 16 for 'white glove' at about 1400 hrs. I was always the first guy to get his weapon turn in and pass inspection.

What are the key advantages of the piston vs DGI?????????
10 years 4 months ago #32658

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic The perfect general purpose 308 AR

-Piston advantages
--Bolt, carrier and chamber stays cleaner
--Bolt, carrier and chamber stays cooler

-Piston disagvantages
--Piston gets dirty
--Piston, pushrod, gas block and surrounding areas get extremely hot, much quicker than DI
--Accuracy suffers from that of a comparable DI

So in the end, from what I have experienced, unless you are an Operator in the dirt, it's all about where you would rather have the carbon and heat. Gloves are a requirement very quickly with a piston carbine. Also consider the parts, there seem to be about seven different configurations of piston systems on the market. Parts are proprietary and expensive.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by faawrenchbndr.
10 years 4 months ago #32661

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!