Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

MDT TAC 21 Build

• Thank you received: 78

MDT TAC 21 Build was created by That_Guy

How are ya'll doing? I would like to share/discuss my build. Hopefully I can get advice from some of you knowledgeable gentlemen. I know it's not an AR 10 but I could use some help.

The Build:

If your not familiar with the MDT chassis you can read about it here-

www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/07/foghor...tac21-rifle-chassis/

I know what you're thinking "tacticool" well yea it is, but it offers improvements and in my opinion, modernizes the 700.

Build:

Rifle- Remington 700 ADL .300wm (Boom baby)
Chassis- MDT TAC 21
Trigger- Timney 510 2.5lb
Barrel- Brux 26" 1:10 twist
Optic- Vortex Viper FFP 6-24x50mm
Optic Mounts- Warne Tactical R.A.M.P.
Stock- Magpul PRS
Buffer Tube- A1/A2 Fixed
Grip- Command Arms Universal Grip (interchangeable rubber grips)
Magazines- 5 rd AICS
Recoil Lug- MDT Designed Thick Recoil Lug
Bipod- Vanguard Equalizer Pro 1
Monopod- Accu-Shot PRM
Action- Factory action blueprint
Magazine- AICS 5 rnd
Recoil pad- MDT Thick PRS pad with advanced adjustment
Bolt knob- KRG "Tactical" Knob

Gear:

LRF- G7 BR2
Wind Meter- Kestrel 1000
Spotting Glass- Leupold SX-1
Case- Pelican 1750

I plan on using this rifle for hunting coyotes and an equal amount of target shooting (at a distance of 100-800 yards). This is why I'm undecided on the caliber. I plan on shooting a lot, which leads me to want the .308 for its price and availability. The .300wm suits my applications just a little bit better (ie. distance shooting) but is not as easy to find or as cheap. As of right now I do not have the tools for reloading so I will be purchasing factory ammunition (this will change when I recover from the build).

I plan on starting the build within next couple months, so I have some time to make my decisions. The price difference between a .308 build and the .300wm is only $190, so not that much. But price to maintain ammunition (and the .300wm barrel) is the only thing that keeps me from the .300wm. What do you guys think, .308 or .300wm?

This is my "go big, have fun" build and I'm really looking forward to it. I realize I don't "need" to build this, I want too and I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it! Thanks for any input.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by That_Guy.
10 years 1 month ago #35401

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Difference tween a 308 and a 300 Win Mag is about the difference between a Z06 Corvette and a Chevy 4 door.

I would have pick the 300 hands down and I am truly a 308 lover:

Both shooting a E Tip 150 gr:

3536 vs 2567 lbs @ 0 yds, 3260 vs 2810 fps

300 yds: 2324 vs 1683 lbs, 2643 vs 2249 fps
10 years 1 month ago #35403

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

First welcome to the forum.

A quick question - Are you going to be doing this work yourself or taking it to a 'smith?

I agree, the standard stock that comes with a 700 is a waste of petrochemicals, for all the good it'll do you. I'd also take the stock trigger and throw it in the garbage as well. You can do much better with a unit from Geissle or Timney (among others.)

A couple of pointers:

Modding a bolt gun is at once easier and harder than modding an AR. There are fewer moving parts to deal with, but great care must be taken with the parts that are there to develop a truly outstanding rifle. The devil is definitely in the details.

Ensure that the recoil lug installed is as concentric with the action as possible. Speaking of the action, ensure the bolt lugs are trued to the chamber and lie evenly against it. Take a look at the bolt's raceway and have it de-burred if necessary so that it works smoothly back and forth.

You might want to look at the bolt handle. I've always preferred a smooth ball-type bolt handle or a wedge. It rotates smoother than a checkered or knurled handle, and gives and speeds up reloads, IMO.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: That_Guy
10 years 1 month ago #35407

Replied by That_Guy on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Thank you for your input good sir. I am doing the build myself. I have thought about the Timney and was undecided as I'd have to machine the trigger opening on the chassis (not really a big deal). I have also thought about match grade barrels. Once I complete the build I will take it to my local smith and have him check my work. Thank you for the advice I will certainly use it! Now I just need to figure out what round will suit me better.
10 years 1 month ago #35408

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Go with a long action 700. It'll allow you to have both .308 and 300 WM, just switch out mag, barrel and bolt.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
10 years 1 month ago #35409

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

:welcome:
I can't give much advice when it comes to the build but as far as caliber goes it sounds like the .308 will fill your bill. 800 yards and less, the need for a selection of ammo, and the PRICE of the ammo. The couple times I have fired a 300 win mag I found it a little strong on the recoil. I'm thinking the 308 would be much more accommodating on the shoulder and the wallet giving you more range time.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 1 month ago #35410

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Welcome. I think Leb's advice on getting the long action makes sense. If you are doing the work yourself,Switching out the barrel and bolt and mag if you ever want to switch to 300 WM is doable. I don't know how much experience you have with these calibers, but if it is very little, get comfortable with the 308, find its limits for what you want to do, and then you will know if you want to step up to the 300 WM. As a bolt gun, follow up shots are less of a possibility, at least not as fast, so you need to maximize your capability with each round. In that the 300 WM wins hands down. But skill comes from practice, and if the lower cost of 308 lets you practice more, you will be a better marksman for it. Good luck and keep us informed.
10 years 1 month ago #35414

Replied by That_Guy on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Thank you for the replies gentlemen. I have shot out to 450 yards before. The long range aspect interests me greatly, so I will be shooting a lot with the build. It looks like the .308 will be my rifle of choice! I've been reading a lot about reloading lately and hopefully, soon will have my own station set up to further reduce cost of shooting. I know reloading my own ammunition will take just as much practice as hitting accurately at long range, but I truly look forward to learning.
10 years 1 month ago #35437

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

The biggest plus on reloading is being able to fine tune a load and bullets to what your particular rifle likes. Everyone is a little different.
10 years 1 month ago #35442

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Does the fluting and skelton do anything other than 'for looks'?

The shop that is going to blueprint your rifle, what does that include, what do they do?
10 years 1 month ago #35479

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!