Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

MDT TAC 21 Build

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Zecura on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Can't help you with the build but from a 30 + year reloader, get someone you know who reloads and put them on speed dial. If you have a question, pick up the phone & call. The ole axiom "no question is a stupid question" applies to reloading more than anywhere else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: That_Guy
10 years 2 days ago #37378

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 78

Replied by That_Guy on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Well, the deal was way, way, way, too good to pass up! Ended up with a .300wm BDL The scope is horrible, but I will be replacing it down the road. All the ammunition came with it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 11 months ago #38486

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Got it somewhat sighted in today. The scope is horrible! Shooting 1 MOA at 100yds. The hits marked out were me getting it sighted in. After it touched red I didn't touch the turrets and it still shot right! The flyer at the bottom right is from my lead sled bending from the recoil, I guess it's not .300wm approved :rotfl: When I get the chassis I will install all the factory equipment for another 100yd group. I feel that with a better scope (the one on it was $150...) it's a sub MOA shooter. Ammunition was 18og Remington Core-Lokt.

Set up in my side yard

Looking through the horrible glass

Target view

Group

The lead sled
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by That_Guy.
9 years 11 months ago #38547

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

How many shots is that on the red ???
Group does`nt seem to bad for using a horrible scope.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
9 years 11 months ago #38549

One in the red. I didn't tap the turret when I adjusted... it's one of those kinds of scopes :S the one shot in the red was when I was dialing it in. The shots not marked with an X are my 4 shot group. Like I said, the flyer was due to the sled bending from the recoil.
9 years 11 months ago #38551

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

OH Heck, a blind man could have seen that, UUUHHhhh, OK, I need new glasses. :silly: :blink: :rotfl:

Durnit, too bad about the busted and bent lead-sled.
I wonder if I`d get the same results on a lead-sled, firing My 30-338 on one. Close the the 300 win. Mag.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
9 years 11 months ago #38552

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

What model Lead Sled? Looks a little flimsy compared to mine and I don't see a lead tray?
I'm to lazy to search back in the post, what model scope? Maybe save some fellow members from the same bad experience and do a review.
Sweet looking rifle! :twothumbs: I need a bolt gun myself..........
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 11 months ago #38554

The sled isn't a name brand "Lead Sled". That's my mistake, I call all shooting rests that lol. And I didn't purchase the scope that came on it. But it's the Burris E1 3-9X40mm. The scope I'm getting is the Vortex Viper 6.5-25x50mm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 11 months ago #38567

Ordered the PRS tonight. Should be here sometime next week! ETA for the actual rifle to be complete 2.5-3 months. This is coming together a lot quicker than I expected! Still feels like it's taking forever though... I'm having lots of problems keeping the rifle zeroed though. I was aiming at bull and adjusting to meet POI but it would hit an "OK" group and then swing wildly. Now I've been measuring and adjusting it via MOA and that helps, but still swings left and right like crazy! Scope mount seems to be solid, I'm not flinching according to my spotter. Any suggestions? Could the recoil be screwing with the adjustments? I'm pretty sure I'm making correct adjustments but the knobs are like mashed potatoes...
9 years 11 months ago #38756

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

The accuracy issue might not be the scope. Burris makes some great scopes and a 3X9 should be sufficient enough for 100 yards..

I looked at one photo and it appears that you've tied down the front of the rifle with a strap of some sort. Restraining a rifle in this manor can cause a rifle to do strange things downrange. I realize this may be part of the kit but it could also be part of the problem..

To obtain the best accuracy from a rifle, be it bolt or AR style, free floating the barrel is nearly a must.

A 300 Winchester Magnum kicks pretty hard. I know a shooting cradle is desirable to reduce punishing recoil but you might want to shoot using a forward rest and a rear bag.

Using ammo from different manufactures could also contribute to what you're seeing...

I'm just trying to help...Good luck! :thumbs:
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
9 years 11 months ago #38764

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!