Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

MDT TAC 21 Build

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Aside from giving the rifle a distinctive look, fluting a bolt lightens it and allows it to be worked quicker. For extended firing sessions, the fluting gives a place for carbon and other crap a place to go so it doesn't tie up the bolt.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
10 years 1 month ago #35482

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 78

Replied by That_Guy on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

The shop will be installing my new barrel, machining all of the moving parts to ensure 100% contact and making the action perfectly concentric with the barrel. Much, much more is involved, but this is what I can remember off the top of my head.
10 years 1 month ago #35495

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

If its not too costly then it could well be money spent.
10 years 1 month ago #35509

I just noticed that. 26" is a pretty long pipe, don't you think? The velocity gains over a 20-22" barrel are negligible at best. All you're doing is adding weight to the rifle for no reason, IMO.
RLTW
10 years 1 month ago #35543

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Good read:

The Truth About Barrel Length, Muzzle Velocity and Accuracy
By Dan Zimmerman on October 1, 2013

By Josh Wayner

Josh Wayner’s taken it upon himself to challenge what everyone “knows” as far as barrel length, velocity and accuracy are concerned. According to his results, the conventional wisdom ain’t all that wise when it comes to longer-barreled ballistics. The only question then is, if you buy in and go with a short barrel, can you stand the noise?

Abstract: This is an independent scientific study that has been conducted in western Michigan. This study addresses the misunderstanding of the concepts related to barrel length, muzzle velocity, and accuracy in a rifle . . .

www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/10/daniel...locity-and-accuracy/
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 1 month ago #35544

That was a very informative read!

26" is a little long, but I will be target shooting far more than hunting, so its not that big of a deal.

On another note, Berger Bullets has the best customer service I have ever seen. Emailed them about their 215g hybrid rounds (BC of .696!) and had a reply in just a few hours. Not only was it the single fastest reply from a retail company I have ever received, the woman was also very informative and polite. That goes a long way for me, so they just gained a lifetime customer.
10 years 1 month ago #35551

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

You sound like you know a thing or two about a gun ,so to keep in mind the things you've mentioned-allow me to suggest a nice medium between 308 and 300 win mag.

Have you looked at the .260 Remington? If you are going to get into reloading, this might be a good time to look at it. A 260 is a .308 brass necked down to a true 6mm bullet-not to be confused with a .243 Winchester...

I saw you mention Berger bullets earlier in this post...with good Berger VLD 140 grain bullets, this round will kick a .308's butt.

You'll get an extra 200 to 400 meters of range-depending on where you are.

You'll get better wind bucking ability-check the BC for the bullet!...COMPARE IT TO A 300 WIN MAG!

You'll get more barrel life than a 308. ( lighter bullet, same/less powder charge)

Look it up man...this is a very good caliber for what you want to do. This is a very accurate round at everything from 100 to 1200 meters for a good bolt gun in coastal areas...In mountainous areas above 3K- 1400 meters is within the ability of the round.
10 years 1 month ago #35616

I like 260 Rem. For an experienced reloader, 260 Rem is a very viable option. However, for the beginner (No offense to the OP) a "niche" caliber like 260 Rem can be somewhat daunting when it comes to finding components, particularly cases. To ask a beginner to neck up a .243 or neck down a .308 to form 260 Rem brass is asking a bit much as well. The key to successfully reloading 260 (along with several other cartridges I could name) is seating depth. The difference between a 260 Rem round that gives excellent down range performance and a so-so round is quite literally 0.001". For someone just getting into reloading, it's best to stick with a popular caliber for which there are plenty of components and load data to choose from.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: That_Guy
10 years 1 month ago #35619

Txlongshotb4, we think a lot alike haha. When I had started planning for my build I listed out what is most important from greatest to least.

1- Had to shoot long range
2- Had to be easy to buy rounds
3- Had to stay within a budget(that didn't happen haha)

The 260 fits my long range needs, but in my area its just not around. Actually, I really wanted to get a 7mm-08 but I would have to start reloading as soon as I built the gun and I'm not ready for that. That left me with 300wm and .308 which are the two most available rounds in my area (don't know why).

LebbenB, No offense taken at all. I'll admit that I'm a complete greenhorn on reloading, and taking shots past 400 yards. I did order a reloading guide from Berger. I plan on studying the subject extremely hard.

Also, I have decided to switch optics to a Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm. All the reviews for it are great with an exception of a few. It as a no questions asked lifetime warranty and it's only $749-$949. I'm no scope snob, so I think it will do me just fine.
10 years 1 month ago #35623

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Most folks around these parts are into shooting the 22-250, for coyots and varmints. fast and flat and I have seen some mighty big deer taken down with this round.
Also uses a short action.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22-250_Remington
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
10 years 1 month ago #35638

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!