Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

MDT TAC 21 Build

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

I am going to echo NightForce:

That 300 mag is a mule kicker for sure and the last thing you want to do is have anything interacting with the bbl when shooting as it will affect your groups for sure. Get the butt of that rifle into a sandbag to absorb some of that kick when you are trying to zero.

Insure you metal is firmly affixed to your stock group

scope mounts/iron sights. 300 mag is a different world and can jar windage and elv adjustments in iron sights and can shit scope mounts. It only takes a few .0000's of an inch and your group is now changed.

Anytime you are having an issue with groups with a scope, I suggest you go to iron sights @ 25 meters in the SOP Army zero procedure. If that fails then you know the problem is in the gun or procedure...

If I were to approach this like I approach a engine problem. Way back when I was a young teen dad had sent me out to do some tractor work. The old Ford tractor would not start. I messed with it for a couple of hrs and never got anywhere. I came back to the house and told dad I did not know what was wrong with it. Dad looked at me and said, son, its probably 1 of only 3 things, fuel, mechanical or electrical. I went back to the tractor and in short time had it started. That simple advice from Dad has paid dividends many times over in my life.

Gun: Sights/mounts, stock/metal group, ammo: think simple...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 11 months ago #38768

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 78

Replied by That_Guy on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Thanks for the help gentlemen! I went back through and re-torqued the mounts. They were loose ever so slightly. Will go with a bag as well.
9 years 11 months ago #38784

So I lowered the weight on the factory trigger this weekend. Don't worry, I took all the safety precautions and it won't fire under any extreme condition I through at it. The trigger is now a crisp 3lbs vs the factory 8lb hunting trigger. Also got some better ammunition (well, better for my gun. Not match grade... Can't find any Match Kings. The ammunition this time was Barnes Vortex 165g hunting rounds. Shot 3/4" at 100 yards... I'll take it! Decided not to go with Shilen for my barrel choice. Instead I'm going with Brux. Hopefully their turn-around time has shortened.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 11 months ago #39006

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Still using the Burris scope? That is what I put on my AR10T carbine for now, and I am happy with it so far.
9 years 11 months ago #39007

Yep, I still don't care for it but that's just me. I don't know why, but I just do not like looking through that optic... After I torqued the mounts it helped a lot but it still wont adjust right. 1 click is not 1/4 MOA like it's supposed to be... It's driving me crazy.
9 years 11 months ago #39009

The PRS has just arrived! DANG this thing is heavy for a "plastic" stock. I really, really like it. Thing looks like it's built tough (which is good, the .300 keeps breaking my shit..). The adjustment knobs are aluminum, and adjustments have a very positive click. The knobs are a little tough to turn now but that's probably due to it being brand new. Can't wait to get that bad boy installed on the chassis! For some reason I was worried that the color wouldn't match my black grip (anal like that) but as you can see, it matches nicely.

Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by That_Guy.
9 years 10 months ago #39026

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Yes x 2, great stock, heavy!
9 years 10 months ago #39028

Just ordered a bunch of the little parts. Buffer tube, castle nut, spanner wrench, scope mount, and bolt lift now ordered. The UPS man is gonna be pissed :rotfl:
9 years 10 months ago #39084

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

A lot of thought went into the design and engineering of The Magpul PRS stocks. I have 3 of them and like the fit, finish, and feel of this stock...
The following user(s) said Thank You: That_Guy
9 years 10 months ago #39099

Have the buffer, scope mount, castle nut, trigger pull gauge, and bolt lift on the way! Thought I'd be good to order the chassis next week, but unexpected bills popped up... Just my luck! After I get the chassis, should only take 2 or 3 weeks to get the glass ordered. Brux and Shilen are way, way backed up, so the barrel is gonna take a while to get...
9 years 10 months ago #39222

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!