Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

• Thank you received: 0

New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope was created by rlally

I am new to this forum and my first AR 10 is on order.
I am looking for a reasonbly priced scope ranging 100 to 300 yds with the ability to go longer on ocassion.
I am looking at the Millett 4-16x50 Tactical Riflescope, Matte Black w/ Illuminated Mil-Dot Bar Reticle, Side Focus BK81001.

I will appricate any feed back or suggestions
11 years 5 months ago #13328

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

Take a look at the tool bar search options, type in Millet scope :unsure: , we have had some good discussion on them. I would recommend looking at the Leupold line, never have had one fail :thumbs:
Off this subject :hijacked: Does anyone know? I have heard that in the past Redfield scopes were also made by Leupold?
AKAI
11 years 5 months ago #13341

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

At the renges you're talking about, your best bet is a Leupold, but nothing tactical or variable.
From a realistic stance and long experience, a fixed 6 is exactly what you need right out to an easy 600 yards. You wouldn't believe the range of scopes we have, from the Leapers fixed 4x all the way to the $3,000.00 Premier Heritage, and each one of them has a place and a purpose. Most AR10 new buyers seem to gravitate to something called "tactical" in a very high variable power.

The more internal parts there in a scope, the more the potential for changing POI's.
I learned this from one of the best. My Grandfather, long retired head of R&D for Swift Instruments& Optics, Jenkyl and Davidson and Bausch & Lomb. He's a man who has built specialty scopes from the grouind up, and I do mean all of the machining, lens forming and polishing for fixed and high power variables. He believes (as do I) that the scope must cover exactly the intent of the rifle, cartridge and the purpose of the application.
Think about it and don't blow money for a name, image or overapplication.
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by zfk55.
11 years 4 months ago #13888

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

Redfield scopes are now owned by Leupold. I think they bought the Redfield name about 3 years ago. The older Redfield scopes were manufactured by a different company that is out of business.

For the OP - on scopes for an AR-10. What model AR-10 did you buy?
11 years 4 months ago #13910

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

But...If my scope doesn't say "tactical," it isn't cool. And then my friend, the 400 pound top secret ex-Navy SEAL, will laugh at me from behind his Oakleys. And I will feel shame. :rolleyes:

Sometimes less is more. IMO/IME, most shooters benefit from less magnification, not more.
RLTW
11 years 4 months ago #13913

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by ernierod on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

You might look into a Vortex-Viper with Mil Dot Reticle. It is a very high quality scope.
11 years 4 months ago #14143

Replied by rlally on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

I purchased an Armilite AR 10 (T) w' 20" SST barrel
11 years 4 months ago #14202

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

Congratulation Rlally. Welcome to the forum, welcome to the club and excellent choice of weapon. You're gonna enjoy that rifle. :thumbs:
11 years 4 months ago #14211

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic New to an AR 10 lookihttp://go.mng for a new scope

rlally, have we helped on your choice of scopes or just confused the situation :banghead:
AKAI
11 years 4 months ago #14216

Replied by rlally on topic New to an AR 10 lookihttp://go.mng for a new scope

The search engine was helpful.
11 years 4 months ago #14224

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!