Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

Very true in my case, I rarely turn mine up from the minimum 2.5x in a hunting situation. Even shooting for fun it stays low for everything but groups at the longer ranges.
I know where there are a couple of high dollar scopes in like new condition because the power was just to much for them to be useful. guess everyone falls for the "bigger is better" adage at some time or another.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 4 months ago #14229

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

Many people have the idea that they can just zoom in on a target and everything will be easier. 20x bigger target = 20x easier shot. But magnification does not make the target bigger, it just looks that way. The other thing that gets magnified is shooter error. every little bump, twitch, breath, shows up even more so.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 4 months ago #14288

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Electric on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

Welcome to the forum.
11 years 4 months ago #14936

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Turbo V6 Camaro on topic New to an AR 10 lookihttp://go.mng for a new scope

i have NOT shot yet but i really like my Nikon M308 BDC scope very clear and sharp. you can get a non-BDC version if you don't like the BDC
11 years 2 months ago #16400

• Thank you received: 21

Replied by Moby on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

I purchased the Millet 4X16 X 50 for under $300. ($289)

It's clear and bright, has an illuminated rectical, is nitrogen filled and has a life time warantee. I'm really happy with it bu it is big and a bit heavy.

The pic below has the sun shade on it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Moby.
11 years 2 months ago #16439

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by magi on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

That is very manly looking.......
10 years 11 months ago #23702

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

Darn true statement!

My opinion,.....get the best scope you can afford. There are many great scopes in the $300 range!
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 11 months ago #23703

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

As always lots of good comments. Overscoped seems to be the order of the day and to have Zombie written on it. [ I actually bought a scope the other day with Zombie written on the side. The same scope without Zombie on it was $10 less but he did not have any. So I told him I would buy the scope but not pay for the Zombie or it was no sale...he took my deal. ]

The weapon in the right hands is a 800 yd gun, maybe a 1000 at the outer limit.

Putting on a 1000 yd scope for a weapon you intend to be a Hog hunter looks TacitKool but other than that is a waste. Take a good look at what you want to do with it and buy your scope to fit your needed requirements.

I am a fan of fixed power stuff. 3.5x is about all I would ever need down here in S Texas, but I do have a 3x9 Leo in the box in case I ever need to reach out and touch someone...
10 years 11 months ago #23782

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

I have a 2.5-10 scope that will be going on my AR10 when I get it done. I did chose a rather high end Nightforce, mainly due to the fact that I wanted a particular reticle that they offered.

The Millet DMS 1-4 is a up great hog gun scope!
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by faawrenchbndr.
10 years 11 months ago #23784

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by magi on topic New to an AR 10 looking for a new scope

i really prefer minimalism and good iron sights..... and when i had 20/10 eye sight that was all i ever needed for the shooting i did... and while my eyes correct out to 20/15 now.. it is harder to get a good picture in low light..... sooo.... I've been looking a lot of optics lately.. there is some pretty cool stuff out there... i prefer low power.. 1 to 4... 1 to 5 with tic marks for holdover is nice... then there is .. red dots.. reflex.... chevrons.. yellow triangles....lasers.... it goes on and on.... way better than thirty forty years ago... i really like both eyes open shooting.....
coming up im gonna need you guys to help me make some choices........
10 years 11 months ago #23797

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!